IGNORED

eBay Seller Cancels My Winning Bid To Relist For Higher

1 minute ago, Code Monkey said:

The star on the manual is completely different, lots of games have that. The star on the box is a Nintendo Power giveaway or online order or something like that. At least that's what my research shows.

I wonder if all third party, Nintendo published games came with these.

Actually, if you look 3 posts up in this thread, you'll see my explanation for the stars on the box. It seems to have to do with a revision of the warranty statement on the side of the box.

4 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Actually, if you look 3 posts up in this thread, you'll see my explanation for the stars on the box. It seems to have to do with a revision of the warranty statement on the side of the box.

Right, I did see that when I was at work and then forgot about it when I got up this morning. That's interesting and would explain why it's only third party Nintendo published games. Probably pretty uncommon also.

So yeah, for manuals I'm sticking with idea that a * means it's the final revision. An update would be indicated by a -1 or even -2 and then finally if needed, a *. Meaning there is nothing else that can be added or changed withen the manual.

For boxes who knows. Maybe it means an update to the side warning, maybe it means it's the last revision box but only Nintendo published games had them, or maybe it means it was a promo copy. There is not enough info out there to know.

19 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Actually, the star seems to indicate an update to the side of the box to read "FOR SALE IN USA AND CANADA ONLY (+/- MEXICO)." This is only found on first-party Nintendo releases that had an oval SOQ release prior to this statement becoming standard on all boxes. This would generally be the last revision for any game that had the star.

The list includes SMB, SMB2, Golf, Rad Racer, MTPO, Metroid, and LoZ. There are probably more, but that's the running list. See the following thread: https://connect.gocollect.com/discussion/11056/dragon-warrior-mail-away-letters

I've also attached a picture of my MTPO with star code and two copies of Dragon Warrior for reference. These are NOT the NP promotional copies because they are the -1 revision. I don't have a non-star MTPO but I'm pretty sure it does not have the statement.

Interestingly, the seller didn't show that one side of the box for some reason... 🤔

Oh, yeah I remember finding that thread last time I looked this up. Thanks for posting it.

That thread is where I heard about the projection TV warning in the manual. Here's the quote from the_wizard_666, "The asterisk on the manual designated a minor addition - when projection TVs were introduced, a warning leaflet on the use of the NES with projection TVs was inserted. The warning was later added to the manual instead. Older releases that were reprinted with the warning inside the manual have an asterisk beside the code - usually after, but sometimes before. Later games didn't need the asterisk, because they never had a printing without the warning. As with anything else involving reprints, there are some titles who's * variant manuals are rarer, and some who's non-* variants are tougher to come by. But as with screw variants, etc, they don't really command a premium."

Despite only owning 6 manuals (I'm a loose NES guy), I happen to have two super mario bros./duck hunt manuals one with the star and one without ( what a coincidence, I only own one cart. I got the other manual at an estate sale in a dust sleeve with a non mario game). I only found three major differences. Two are the Oval TM or R, and the © 1988 or © 1988,1989. But, below I have a picture of a Zelda manual that has the star, Oval TM, projection warning, and © 1987,1989 (credit for the picture goes to @rondy, I hope he doesn't mind me sharing). So, the only consistent change is the addition of the rear projection TV warning with the star.

smbStarManual.thumb.jpg.773ccad5ab3edad03857324dac0a7363.jpg

z1StarManual.jpg.f55297ac635d448b9b20c553e980532d.jpg

Now on to boxes. I think you're pretty much right with the start code on boxes denoting the addition of the "For sale and use in ...". However, Zelda 1 provides a small exception. The star code and the for sale label both were added at the same time to the Oval TM box. But, when the box was updated to the Oval R, the star was removed from the code (see pictures from two ebay listings below). Additionally, the Classic Series rerelease also did not have a star code (but the box code was changed to NES-ZL-USA-1).  I'm curious to know what seals are on your MTPO and DW? If they are both Oval TM, I'm guessing the star code only came on boxes with that seal.

Z1OvalR.png.544520094db8097ce64e9ad2e7ecad50.png

5 hours ago, austin532 said:

So yeah, for manuals I'm sticking with idea that a * means it's the final revision. An update would be indicated by a -1 or even -2 and then finally if needed, a *. Meaning there is nothing else that can be added or changed withen the manual.

For boxes who knows. Maybe it means an update to the side warning, maybe it means it's the last revision box but only Nintendo published games had them, or maybe it means it was a promo copy. There is not enough info out there to know.

Actually there are two revisions of the Zelda 1 manual with the NES-ZL-USA-1* code. One I posted above and below is the other with the Oval R seal (again credit to rondy). Also, the Classic Series manual was NES-ZL-USA-2.

z1StarManualR.jpg.e57b23e7640dcad4c3fe4c22b27fbc48.jpg

51 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Oh, yeah I remember finding that thread last time I looked this up. Thanks for posting it. 

Awesome. Thanks for posting all this stuff. I made a topic about it in the collector's corner. I'll eventually update it to include the manual info too. Then we can have all star info in it's own thread.

MTPO and DW are both oval SOQ. I'm quite sure it only applies to oval SOQ games. And besides DW, only oval SOQ games that started as circle SOQ.

Edited by DoctorEncore