IGNORED

Music Debate #101: The Eagles

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal thoughts

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite artists of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking band. Or artist.
    • 8/10 - Great sound, great songs, great albums.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. More than a few songs you like. You'd entertain the thought of seeing them live if they were in the area. Or still alive.
    • 5/10 - They're okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen to.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There may be a song or two, or an album that you dig, but you'd rather listen to other stuff.
    • 3/10 - Not very good. You will more likely than not turn the station if they come on the radio.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - In the running for worst artist/musician of all time. You would rather take a cheese grater to your face than listen to this.

9 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

The Beatles 

I got lucky and avoided them. Dallas had a radio station when I was in HS, nothing but Beatles and covers. It was around the time they did the anthology album. I did not like them. 

Now, I'll hear a song here and there they did I enjoy, but it's always like a B-side, something they did early, or an album that never gets air time.

• Like 1

5/10 for me. Hotel California is really good but I can't think of another song of theirs I like. Witchy woman? The fact that I have to think this hard is immediate removal from like a 7 or above. In an era or truly great music The Eagles are mediocre. 

Except Joe Walsh. Play that guitar my man. 

• Like 1

7 for me.

I could pretty much take them or leave them - except for the Desperado lp.   For some reason several of the cuts* on that one struck a chord with me that most of their other stuff just didn't.

*Doolin Dalton, Tequila Sunrise, Desperado, Outlaw Man, Doolin Dalton/Desperado Reprise, Bitter Creek (everytime I hear this one I think of a forgettable western called Branded (with Chuck Conners) that was centered on a fictional battle called Bitter Creek).

• Love 1

Penn Jillette once told a story about being at a David Allan Coe show, and when the audience wasn't giving them the response Coe felt was due, he turned on them and said “Fuck you. All you deserve is the Eagles.” He then had the whole band play the Eagles for half an hour, while the audience threw beer bottles at them and screamed.

• Haha 1

Grew up with the Eagles being played regularly. A bit of nostalgia maybe but 8/10 easy for me

On 5/18/2021 at 8:21 AM, JamesRobot said:

The one exception for me is Hotel California.  There's some kinda magic with that song.  I remember lifting the needle on my dad's album and playing it over and over again as a kid.

It's arguably one of the greatest songs ever made, on it's own might give it a 10. It is pretty great.