IGNORED

Kollector Protector quality improvement

It’s really hard to get a handle on the “best” box protectors especially when companies change their products. I have noticed a few improvements in my latest lot of KP boxes though. The plastic wrap comes off much easier than before. This used to be a static-clingy hassle as the plastic would rip and not come off cleanly. They are also much easier to fold. I used to have to use t-shirt press to flatten the boxes fully so they wouldn’t be crooked. Now I can easily fold them by hand.

They still have a logo (no props for stamping a logo into your product...) but at least they’ve moved it from the bottom of the box to the side of the box where it’s glued shut, so small improvement there.

Didn’t hear anything about this personally so I thought I’d shout them out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm still a fan of videogameboxprotectors. Comparing the two KP has VGBP beat by .2mm on the cheaper box/cart protectors but VGBP is cheaper to buy at least from a quick glance. 

Although the next time I'm in need maybe I'll give KP a shot and see if the extra .2mm makes a difference for me. 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

I've been buying from videogameboxprotectors for yeeeeears.  I've always been happy with their products and they are reasonably priced and do the job quite well for me.  I've probably bought a couple thousand protectors between boxes and PP sleeves.  There may be better options out there, honestly I haven't tried others.  

I think the logo thing is....meh, not really my preference, but I suppose it wouldn't bother me too much if subtle, as my main intent is just to protect the items from wear.  I'll read about these a bit and maybe give them a try.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spacepup said:

I've been buying from videogameboxprotectors for yeeeeears.  I've always been happy with their products and they are reasonably priced and do the job quite well for me.  I've probably bought a couple thousand protectors between boxes and PP sleeves.  There may be better options out there, honestly I haven't tried others.  

I think the logo thing is....meh, not really my preference, but I suppose it wouldn't bother me too much if subtle, as my main intent is just to protect the items from wear.  I'll read about these a bit and maybe give them a try.

Have you noticed that the most recent batch for NES cart/snes cart/nes box the tabs don't seem to stay clicked in or is it just me?

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

Have you noticed that the most recent batch for NES cart/snes cart/nes box the tabs don't seem to stay clicked in or is it just me?

I haven't noticed that personally, but most of my recent purchases have been sleeves for manuals and dvd-type cases so I can't really say.

I actually just got an order in today ha! I swear it feels like I just ordered days ago - shipping was really fast!

Is there like a good preferred place to get protectors of various sizes, perhaps who will cut a bulk order  deal or free shipping to lessen the blow?  I'm not so much afraid of certain types of damage, but some stuff, more so a few boxed games but mostly system/accessories I think it would help not let dust leech into the surfaces and rot it.

9 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

I've noticed some quality variations intermittently when ordering from them. I've ordered a few thousand over the past five years and some batches are perfect while others have variable thicknesses and difficult folds. Overall I love them, but you definitely get some bad batches.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, spacepup said:

I've been buying from videogameboxprotectors for yeeeeears.  I've always been happy with their products and they are reasonably priced and do the job quite well for me.  I've probably bought a couple thousand protectors between boxes and PP sleeves. 

Don't forget promo code Nintendoage, still works! Think it's only 5% off but still a code that has worked a decade at least!

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Is there like a good preferred place to get protectors of various sizes, perhaps who will cut a bulk order  deal or free shipping to lessen the blow?  I'm not so much afraid of certain types of damage, but some stuff, more so a few boxed games but mostly system/accessories I think it would help not let dust leech into the surfaces and rot it.

I use https://www.retroprotection.com/. It works out to <$1/protector for the standard sizes, sometimes significantly less depending on how much you buy. But what I really like about them is they have a lot of non-standard sizes for a pretty decent price. I used to buy them on amazon, but sometimes they came with a plastic tab that "locks" the box that can graze against the box or shrinkwrap. The ones from retroprotection don't have that.

• Like 2

My main supply comes from videogameboxprotectors but at least his eBay store really doesn’t have a lot of sizes that aren’t standard whatever System game boxes.  Unusual size boxes come from Retro protection.  

I tried Kollector Protector once and I ordered NES  and I got SNES.  I didn’t really like how thick they were.  I like the standard .3 that everyone else is using. They are also more expensive.

I’ve ordered some from Buzz & Bingos moon circus too.  Perfectly fine but I like the ease of folding and the clasp on vgbp better.

I have videogameboxprotectors and while I like them, I'm starting to ponder the absurdity of using these for modern games.  I've been considering taking them off to get more shelf space. It makes sense for my genesis games because dusting is a pain. Same with sega cd because of how fragile the cases are.

Originally I considered that I wanted to prevent scratching of the cases when pulling them in and out of the shelf,  but I hardly ever pull them out. Most of the time,  I play a digital copy on game pass or one game at a time. Not like when I was a kid,  swapping 10 games a day to stay entertained. 

See that cost vs absurdity vs dusting issue was one I had too.  I think in the end, I'd draw the line at nicely boxed up systems, accessories, and a few boxed games if the value really justified it.  Anything lose a nice dry dust grabbing quality wand of sorts could just get the junk off stuff otherwise.

spacer.png

Yeah, I'm gonna have to say no thanks to that branding. Yeah it's the glue side, yeah it's gonna be facing the wall, but I'm not feeling it at all. Good luck to the guy and they could be the best protectors out there now, but I'm not trying to see that print when I fondle my games.

I've used retro protection and buzz mooncircus on ebay, both are fine. I like the fit of the buzz mooncircus ones for n64/snes, easy to open too. Retro protection does jpn gamecube and other non easy to find sizes.

Edit: oh yeah! As @zoiks66said when I placed a retro protection order I also got a refund on shipping to reflect the actual cost, really nice to see that the dude cares and definitely made me wanna do business with them again.

double edit: re-reading I feel like my tone was a little harsh, sorry not tryin to crap on ya thread defaultgen!! I appreciate your feedback on them, genuinely! I am just sore to see the branding compared to the old ones.. everything else sounded like super good improvements.

Edited by drxandy
  • Like 1