IGNORED

If you had this kinda money would you buy this?

15 minutes ago, RH said:

Curious if anyone knows when is the last time one of these sold and for how much.

Everyone seems to have the concensus that thought get are rarer, the provenance if these things isn't as high as the grey's so it's worth less. Has history supported that theory?

i want to say 100k  but im not sure

38 minutes ago, Nes Freak said:

tbh if its not sealed it shouldn't be graded.  just my opinion.

I would argue while using the "Qualified" concept. But there are too many examples where non-Japanese games being Frankenstein'd that I cannot argue with what you said. 

17 hours ago, Xjwebb1982 said:

I regret not buying this from the owner that sold it to smpratte. Had reservations about the label and the superglue all around it. Just couldn’t take the risk but wanted to kick myself once I saw it come back graded and listed on eBay. Oh well...

Not to throw salt in your wounds, but what was your potential buy price?

On 4/29/2021 at 7:13 PM, DoctorEncore said:

Nah. Once collectibles start reaching 6 figures, I question the morality of it all. I fully admit that number is an arbitrary cutoff, but imagine how many hungry people that money could feed.

People can and should spend their money as they see fit and personal happiness should be a top priority. But buying a single, insanely expensive item to make myself .00001% happier when that money could literally change hundreds of lives isn't something I want to have on my conscious.

I agree with you 100%, but assuming you have more than 100k in investments at this point in your life, why does it have to be ear-marked for the purchase of a collectible before it becomes a question of morality concerning all of the people in this world that your money could help?  Just something to think about... 🙂

Administrator · Posted

It's a neat part of history and it's fun and all, but I can look at pictures of it and that suffices for me.  I don't need to own one myself.  If I had 100million in the bank, I still wouldn't buy this for even 10K, so it's just not for me.  There are TONS of other gaming-related items I would much prefer, over this.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spacepup said:

It's a neat part of history and it's fun and all, but I can look at pictures of it and that suffices for me.  I don't need to own one myself.  If I had 100million in the bank, I still wouldn't buy this for even 10K, so it's just not for me.  There are TONS of other gaming-related items I would much prefer, over this.  

same here.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 12:00 AM, Xjwebb1982 said:

I regret not buying this from the owner that sold it to smpratte. Had reservations about the label and the superglue all around it. Just couldn’t take the risk but wanted to kick myself once I saw it come back graded and listed on eBay. Oh well...

You still made a great decision…. WATA is no expert on NWC Gold and their entry in the market shouldn’t drive your decision. For an item like that with Super Glue showing is one step above having no label.

Now the one on eBay late 2014 that’s a different story

Edited by Mr. CIB

Unless you're making an investment I'm not sure why you'd buy it. If its just for keeping, I wouldn't pay $100 for it 🙂 I know my rants are getting old at this point, but since you're asking anyway - I'd rather have the money go towards original and interesting games, compared to a broken score attack version of games I already own 😄

Graphics Team · Posted

NWC carts are a neat. But, outside of collector clout, I don't see why you'd want to own one if you didn't participate in the championships yourself. It's kind of like putting some random kid's little-league baseball trophy on your shelf.

And if I had a million dollars to spend exclusively on video games, I wouldn't blow it all on a single cartridge haha.

-CasualCart

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CasualCart said:

NWC carts are a neat. But, outside of collector clout, I don't see why you'd want to own one if you didn't participate in the championships yourself. It's kind of like putting some random kid's little-league baseball trophy on your shelf.

And if I had a million dollars to spend exclusively on video games, I wouldn't blow it all on a single cartridge haha.

-CasualCart

I have one good reason, at least in my mind, it would be nice to own a literal museum piece.  Video game history from decades ago, meaning only the gray cart matters.  I have no care for, interest in, or would even care to retain the gold lame give away NP one...screw that cart.  If I had the opportunity to just luck into it without having to donate a kidney or sell serious property off to get it I'd get a gray one.  I'd go as far as tracking down the ownership (original) of the cart, as the contestants I think got at least some of them if I remember right.  I'd get a nice case that if desired would be capable of being opened, but it would otherwise seal, have a nice plaque on it small/small print with the history of who played it in the end and how they placed like you'd get in a museum basically.

• Like 1

But isn't this the same mentality for people who don't collect games? Or anything in general. 

The amount of times I saw youtube comments say "LOL! What an idiot! I just downloaded the game for free". Not that youtube comments are worth shit, but still...

• Like 2

Sure, if I wanted to try and experience it on my flash cart, and honestly it probably is there if it was dumped in the last 3-4 years.  I just never looked as I don't feel like testing myself.  Again, it's a museum piece to admire in a nice display, not some shit sucking WATA "tool" box to scam extra bucks out of a heavy weight noob with stars in their eyes.  Hey who needs a population report or any actual value to back up something when well...they say so and that alone is trust enough right? 😄

Unless it was a case where I am Scrooge McDuck-level wealthy and 1 mil is just a drop in the bucket, I wouldn't. I do think it is an interesting historical piece, but I could do so much more with that amount of money. At the very least I could probably acquire a complete PS4 library with that amount, and then some. 

On 5/1/2021 at 4:14 PM, CasualCart said:

-CasualCart

The thing is, that only applies to the grey carts, as those were given to the competitors.  The gold carts were a Nintendo Power giveaway.  So it's not a trophy at all.  If anything, it'd be more in line with a Happy Meal toy or something than a trophy.

Also, there are people that collect war medals that didn't earn them. Also, a friend of mine actually found a collector who paid good money for some old bowling league trophies she found in her grandma's house after granny died, so the argument that it's like having some random kid's trophy is kinda silly anyway. 

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

The thing is, that only applies to the grey carts, as those were given to the competitors.  The gold carts were a Nintendo Power giveaway.  So it's not a trophy at all.  If anything, it'd be more in line with a Happy Meal toy or something than a trophy.

Also, there are people that collect war medals that didn't earn them. Also, a friend of mine actually found a collector who paid good money for some old bowling league trophies she found in her grandma's house after granny died, so the argument that it's like having some random kid's trophy is kinda silly anyway. 

Yeah - plenty of people like trophy/award collectibles. I just meant that I personally don't understand the appeal there. (Even for the people who submitted to the gold-cart giveaway back in 1990. I don't get why they would care about a competition cart giveaway if they weren't competitors).

But if someone does like that stuff, then I'm glad there are people out there to appreciate and preserve it. (I'm a hypocrite anyway, since I'd love to have an Atari 2600 Birthday Mania cart, and that's technically some random kid's birthday present haha.)

-CasualCart

• Like 1