IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Spartan X 2

BeaIank

4 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Spoiler: whoever wins between the two of us, bert will kick the shit out of anyhow. He will coast his way to the tourney casually, turn it on, and put up inhuman scores. Its actually quite predictable. @8bitdontquithas the same type of game 

I'm looking forward to it, though I must say, whenever I see guys with inhuman scores emulating on a computer, there is always that seed of doubt in my mind, ya know???  If the guy who beats me is playing for real on a NES on a CRT, I will gladly take my hat off to him at the end of the tournament... 🙂

Edited by Dr. Morbis

6 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Maybe we should let Bea post her scores, if only to show who the best gamer truly is.  I would say anyone who can no-death Ikari Warriors would be the NES GOAT...

The @bertsampsonvs @BeaIankheads up challenge would be the NES betting event of the decade. Ill say bea -150 would be a good opener. Cracking up that you and Morbis have some checkered history apparently

Edit: and morbis, I have no reason to doubt Sampson scores. I notice no difference between those games on my flashcart and the real cart. Not sure why emulation would be any different 

Edited by NESfiend

3 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

The @bertsampsonvs @BeaIankheads up challenge would be the NES betting event of the decade. Ill say bea -150 would be a good opener. Cracking up that you and Morbis have some checkered history apparently

Edit: and morbis, I have no reason to doubt Sampson scores. I notice no difference between those games on my flashcart and the real cart. Not sure why emulation would be any different 

He was literally at my house a couple hours ago, so yeah, there's history 😛

As for his comments on emulation, it's more because we're on the honor system, and anyone on an emulator could save state and work to perfect their run, and there's no way to tell.  Not saying anyone here would actually DO that, but the potential for underhandedness is there on a PC where it wouldn't be on a console.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

On a real NES you can't re-load a save state one thousand times until you get a specific section of a game perfect.  I'm not accusing anyone of doing that, but just saying, it's as easy as pushing one button on a computer, so it's one of those things.  Would a World-Record-Keeping site take BertSampson's pictures and say, "good enough, you have the world record!"  Of course not, and there's a reason why.  All I'm saying is that it's extraordinarily easy to cheat on a pc when emulating, and as a result, you never really know... again, not accusing, just saying that it plants seeds of doubt in my mind...

And as for Bea, no-deathing Ikari, that is absolutely an incredible feat, but it's more about preparation and dedication of time inching your way up the screen.  I'd say no-deathing Battletoads or G'N'G or something like that would be a truer measure of a NES GOAT...

6 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

And as for Bea, no-deathing Ikari, that is absolutely an incredible feat, but it's more about preparation and dedication of time inching your way up the screen.  I'd say no-deathing Battletoads or G'N'G or something like that would be a truer measure of a NES GOAT...

I'm sure @BeaIankwill correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think she's done those ones too...

Speaking of NES ROMs and all that stuff does any have like a spare card with full NES/FC ROMs on it or a way to make one that goes with the PowerPak?  I would offer some money for someone to help me out either way even if you wanna rip me off a bit lol, I kinda know how to do it but I'm pretty bad and my equipment isnt as good now, can't really be arsed, I just want to have a card with the full basic access.  I play on the computer pretty much when im desperate, it's meh even with a controller but thats just me, but damn I got like almost none of these games 😄

12 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

On a real NES you can't re-load a save state one thousand times until you get a specific section of a game perfect.

I'd say no-deathing Battletoads or G'N'G or something like that would be a truer measure of a NES GOAT...

You are allowed to use save states to practice though and that would make it easy to get the trouble spots down before putting in a big run. I frequently think Im being a moron not emulating for that reason, but real life is competitive enough. Ill play my NES in my free time because thats what I like to do, and Ill finish where I finish 

As for battletoads, happening soon. Ill get my ass beat that week. Tough game

8 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

You are allowed to use save states to practice though and that would make it easy to get the trouble spots down before putting in a big run. I frequently think Im being a moron not emulating for that reason, but real life is competitive enough. Ill play my NES in my free time because thats what I like to do, and Ill finish where I finish 

As for battletoads, happening soon. Ill get my ass beat that week. Tough game

I wasn't even talking about practicing, but that's definitely a competitive advantage too.  But whatever, it's 2021 and 99% of the world is deathly afraid of keeping a CRT in their house anymore (including retro gamers, wtf?!?), so it is what it is.

As for Battletoads, I'll get my ass handed to me too.  I actually did a 2-death run back in 2005 when I was playing the shit out of the game, but I haven't really attempted anything past the turbo tunnel in 15 years.  However, I must say this:

***NOTE TO ORGANIZERS***: Battletoads score maxes out on a 1-credit run long before the game is beaten, so please take this into account when making the rules for that week so we can avoid another round of 999999999999999's 🙂

Edited by Dr. Morbis

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

***NOTE TO ORGANIZERS***: Battletoads score maxes out on a 1-credit run long before the game is beaten, so please take this into account when making the rules for that week so we can avoid another round of 999999999999999's 🙂

Yeah, this.  While I've never done it, I've seen Basil do it a couple times.  I even watched him play it co-op with a friend of mine, and IIRC they BOTH managed to max out the score before Clinger Winger (where the second player is automatically eliminated by a bug).  Honestly, having two Battletoads pros in one room was an awesome sight. 

21 minutes ago, Krunch said:

Speaking of NES ROMs and all that stuff does any have like a spare card with full NES/FC ROMs on it or a way to make one that goes with the PowerPak?  I would offer some money for someone to help me out either way even if you wanna rip me off a bit lol, I kinda know how to do it but I'm pretty bad and my equipment isnt as good now, can't really be arsed, I just want to have a card with the full basic access.  I play on the computer pretty much when im desperate, it's meh even with a controller but thats just me, but damn I got like almost none of these games 😄

I don't have a PowerPak, so you'd need to tell me what sort of card it needs.  I have a bunch of brand new SD cards, and I could probably get a torrent with all the ROMs you'd want, but I have no idea what size card is needed for the PowerPak.

1 minute ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I don't have a PowerPak, so you'd need to tell me what sort of card it needs.  I have a bunch of brand new SD cards, and I could probably get a torrent with all the ROMs you'd want, but I have no idea what size card is needed for the PowerPak.

It takes a CF card, the kind that go in cameras, a technological drag in hindsight, theyre pretty crappy and the pins are sensitive.  I think there's some adapter you need to transfer ROMs too although it might just depend on the computer.  I'm damn near the point where I just wanna do a flip n swap to a more modern cart solution... do people still buy Powerpaks?? 🐼

1 minute ago, Krunch said:

It takes a CF card, the kind that go in cameras, a technological drag in hindsight, theyre pretty crappy and the pins are sensitive.  I think there's some adapter you need to transfer ROMs too although it might just depend on the computer.  I'm damn near the point where I just wanna do a flip n swap to a more modern cart solution... do people still buy Powerpaks?? 🐼

Buy an Everdrive.  I believe they take standard SD cards, if that would work for you...

Uhh I don't really know how low it would go in Battletoads, it's kinda moot I guess if getting to the end doing "the lowest" way is still max, if progress is the yardstick.  Damn haven't played that shit in a while so i dont really remember.  There's ways to take less points for doing stuff though along the way and it likely comes out on paper as less, wouldnt it just from a design perspective? but again i dunno.  I'm hooped cause I cant even beat the Inferno

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Buy an Everdrive.  I believe they take standard SD cards, if that would work for you...

Yeah it totally would, I got access to SD cards everywhere, CF cards good luck finding em in real life.  Friggin Worst Buy doesnt even carry em anymore.  It's not just a cost thing it's a sustainability thing too, I dont wanna always have to chase another elusive CF card down to reload the ROM if something goes wrong.  Yeah this thing is a dinosaur I gotta get on this Everdrive wagon

7 minutes ago, Krunch said:

Yeah, no, don't have any of those sadly.  I have regular SD cards, that's it.  I do have a USB card reader that has a port for them though, so if you happen to find an empty one, you know where I live 🙂

1 minute ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Yeah, no, don't have any of those sadly.  I have regular SD cards, that's it.  I do have a USB card reader that has a port for them though, so if you happen to find an empty one, you know where I live 🙂

Load up an SD card with the full ROM set and send it to Krunch.  Meanwhile, he'll order an EverDrive off Amazon, then a week or so from now, they'll both show up at Krunch's door and he'll be in gaming heaven....🥳

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
3 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Anyone and their mums can no death Battletoads.
GnG is my specialty. I have beaten and broken that game in many ways before.
If I can manage to get some vacations going, I will even do a stream dedicated to NES GnG this year.

Regarding the rules, free time has been a premium here for many months, so I didn't have time to test and break each game.
Spartan X 2 is making it's debut on the contest, so rules weren't properly fine tuned due to the lack of time to break the game.
Next time it shows up it will be one death only.

As for Battletoads, we have run it many, many times before. And people won't like the rules set I am coming up with for this year.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BeaIank said:

As for Battletoads, we have run it many, many times before. And people won't like the rules set I am coming up with for this year.

It's going to be "one hit only" this year, boys. Bea is going to make us reset every time we get hit.