IGNORED

Console Debate #22 Magnavox Odyssey^2

fox

How do you rate Magnavox Odyssey^2?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Magnavox Odyssey^2?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it.
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven’t played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/16/2021 at 06:00 AM

47 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

That would surely be a commercial hit

You jest but one time in a retro game store I had a Gen X’r wax nostalgic to me about the Odyssey 2.

I think that’s the only time outside of this forum I’ve ever discussed the Odyssey 2 with anyone though tbh

Gave it a 5.  It is better than what people give it credit for.  I have one, but it never gets played.

I gave it a semi-higher score due to the fact that it was the first console to really bridge video games and board games.  There is like...3 or 4?...hybrid games for the system that you play on the screen but mostly as a board game. Innovative, but didn't really catch on, obviously (though Star Saga: One and Star Saga: Two for home computers is really awesome).

9 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Bring on the Odyssey2 Classic.

I would probably buy that.  Considering that I sold off my O2 despite the fact that I did enjoy some of the games, a classic would be a perfect way to still paly some of the games without going emulation.  But at the same time, it doesn't bother me that I know this will never happen.  

21 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

When Kevtris did all those cores for FPGA systems, I think Odyssey2 was one of them.

RCA Studio II was definitely one. Which I find hilarious.

This might've been about a more complex console like SNES, but he said an astronomically small number of people have both the skill and motivation to make FPGA video game console implementations, so if he's gonna give us RCA Studio II, that's some real game preservation cause who the hell owns or wants to own one of those compared to an NES or something!

20 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

As AVGN says, "If this is the RCA Studio II then I'd hate to see the Studio I."

Heh.

Studio I was actually the prototype. That's why they called the production model the "Studio II."

RCA might have had issues in their marketing department.

I actually own an Odyssey 1 since I found one once for $20.  It's neat, but I don't really recommend it to anyone.  

Funny story is that my Dad had an old box for an original Odyssey from before I was born, but he didn't have the console.  He gave it to me years ago and I just kept it in my basement.  When I found the matching console randomly at a game store, I had to buy it because it went with my empty box.  

On 4/9/2021 at 12:37 PM, TDIRunner said:

I actually own an Odyssey 1 since I found one once for $20.  It's neat, but I don't really recommend it to anyone.  

Funny story is that my Dad had an old box for an original Odyssey from before I was born, but he didn't have the console.  He gave it to me years ago and I just kept it in my basement.  When I found the matching console randomly at a game store, I had to buy it because it went with my empty box.  

Did it include all the pieces I hope?  I'd love to at least see some pictures of what all the cards looked like.

I gave it a 6 out of 10 just because it was my very first console. My parents won one right around the time they stopped producing games for it. But it did not stop me from liking the multi-cart games it came with.

Then again, I also had a Commodore 64, which my late paternal Uncle gave me for X'mas. With the audio tape drive. So a lot of my early gaming days were was pretty much this level when I was a young kid.

• Love 1