IGNORED

CasualCart's *Random Thoughts*

T-Pac

3 hours ago, CasualCart said:

Most people like to stop the microwave at 1 second left so the timer doesn't go off...
I like to stop it at 2 seconds left because I don't need that kind of stress in my life.

-CasualCart

with my old microwave, i could time it so that i could open the door at 0:00 without the timer going off. it was like a game i would play. the one i have now? not so much. 

• Like 2

Social Team · Posted
15 hours ago, CasualCart said:

Most people like to stop the microwave at 1 second left so the timer doesn't go off...
I like to stop it at 2 seconds left because I don't need that kind of stress in my life.

-CasualCart

I don't cancel but just open the door...right at 0:00.  OTHERWISE it tells me about the remaining 0:01 left to cook.  My significant other doesn't care and will leave it like that for DAYS!!!  

Angry Stressed Out GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

I've always wondered why we don't have a common, universal language by now...
Then I think of how much I'd hate to learn a new language, and I realize why we don't have a common, universal language by now.

-CasualCart

This is also why America will never use the metric system.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, CasualCart said:

I've always wondered why we don't have a common, universal language by now...
Then I think of how much I'd hate to learn a new language, and I realize why we don't have a common, universal language by now.

-CasualCart

We should all just move to the most commonly spoken native language, Mandarin. It only makes sense.

9 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

We should all just move to the most commonly spoken native language, Mandarin. It only makes sense.

Except that's not true at all. What I presume you are referring to as "Mandarin" has only had native speakers since about 1988, but despite being a lingua franca, it's definitely not a native language for most.

On 3/31/2021 at 9:05 AM, CasualCart said:

I find that the COVID pandemic has led to a lot of small redundancies...
Never before have I had to disinfect the disinfectant that I just bought from the store.

-CasualCart

Never before has my paranoia against germs has now become an obsession in using disinfectants..

• Haha 1

On 3/31/2021 at 12:41 PM, RH said:

This is also why America will never use the metric system.

Unfortunately this is true.  I wish we would just pull off the Band-Aid and do it.  But even more so, I wish they had done it before I was born, so I wouldn't have to go through the transition.    

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted
1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

Unfortunately this is true.  I wish we would just pull off the Band-Aid and do it.  But even more so, I wish they had done it before I was born, so I wouldn't have to go through the transition.    

US government did try to do it back in the 90's; FHWA: Metric Conversion: How Soon?  FHWA: The Metric Conversion Status for The Highway Program  At Ohio DOT we were doing it for about 2 years.  Designers would design in U.S. customary units and digitally convert to metric.  The Contractor would then take the metric plans and convert them to U.S. customary units so they could construct the project.  I came across an old meter stick from that era that had the saying "ODOT goes the extra kilometer".  

So yeah, there was a serious attempt at doing the conversion but it's hard to break old habits when so much was built off of U.S. customary units standards.  Whole or easily divisible units don't happen when you try to convert 10, 11, 12, or 13 foot lane widths to metric.  Same thing with building something.  There cool tricks you can do with U.S. customary units that the trades learn and then that shit goes out the door with using the metric system.  Granted in the end shit would be MUCH easier if you constructed things to the metric standards instead of converting American standards into metric values.

• Wow! 1

I find it difficult to picture metric distances in my head so it makes most of the distance measurements pretty meaningless to me.  Wish we would convert and eventually it would click.  Currently if I hear something is 100, 200, etc meters I have to think of it in football fields to have any concept.  

10 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

I find it difficult to picture metric distances in my head so it makes most of the distance measurements pretty meaningless to me.  Wish we would convert and eventually it would click.  Currently if I hear something is 100, 200, etc meters I have to think of it in football fields to have any concept.  

I find it difficult to understand imperial. I normally have to think of foot long sandwiches from Subway or an NFL field haha. I don’t have any reference for miles though.

• Haha 1

Social Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Hammerfestus said:

Join the US Army.  You'll get very familiar with 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, & 300 meters.  When I have guess a distance in meters I think of how hard it would be to shot a person from the stop I'm estimating.  I've been out for over 10 years so I'm not as good at the estimate.