IGNORED

CasualCart's *Random Thoughts*

T-Pac

3 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

I find it difficult to picture metric distances in my head so it makes most of the distance measurements pretty meaningless to me.  Wish we would convert and eventually it would click.  Currently if I hear something is 100, 200, etc meters I have to think of it in football fields to have any concept.  

There is definitely a learning/transition period, which is why I wish it had been done before I was born and I wouldn't have to worry about it.  But that's just me being selfish.  If given the choice, I would still do it now and just deal with it for a few months until it became more natural.  I really don't think it would take all that long.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

US government did try to do it back in the 90's; 

It's been tried multiple times including at least once in the 60s.  It's funny which things have already transitioned and stuck.  For example, engine volumes used to be commonly measured in cubic inches, and are now universally measured in liters.  Of course, we can't agree on how to spell liter, but that's another discussion (and matters much less).

2 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

If given the choice, I would still do it now and just deal with it for a few months until it became more natural.

Few months?!? HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!  My country did the switch-over in 1978, and I still meet old people a couple of times a year who are pissed off about it.  In fact, when I talk with my parents about anything to do with temperature, if I don't mentally convert it into Fahrenheit first, they are lost...

4 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Few months?!? HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!  My country did the switch-over in 1978, and I still meet old people a couple of times a year who are pissed off about it.  In fact, when I talk with my parents about anything to do with temperature, if I don't mentally convert it into Fahrenheit first, they are lost...

After living in Taiwan for ten years, I understand Celcius temperatures well; however, I don't know what they convert to in Fahrenheit, but does it even matter? I mean, why do I need to know if a 26C equals a 79F or nonsense like that? I just know the Celcius temperatures in relation to each other, and same with the Fahrenheit temperatures, and life goes on.

I did the same when studying Mandarin, and it becomes much easier for understanding and expressing the language when not trying to translate or convert from one to the other. The only problem is sometimes I have trouble explaining to others if they ask me what an isolated word means .  😄

Regarding miles vs meters, I always just use the 5k equals 3.1 miles conversion, very very easy to then visualise in my head the distance. Actually I also measure all my cycling activities in kilometres too, that really helps aid in distance understanding. I could quickly convert to miles, via the method above, but similarly I rarely have a need, viewing them as separate, parallel things that really have little need to convert between.

Social Team · Posted

When I was in college and studying to be and engineer I hated when problems were not in metric units.  You start getting codes and building regulations to adapt to metric and that will solve a big issue which is the massive disruption to production when you switch standards.  If industries already use the metric system you won't and massive lobby push back from companies/industries.  Realistically I don't see us ever changing in my life time fully.  I can totally see metric being used behind the average users eyes.  Especially when things get made more and more over seas where metric is king.

Always enough on this topic.  I don't mean to take over CasualCart's thoughts thread.  

59 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

When I was in college and studying to be and engineer I hated when problems were not in metric units.  You start getting codes and building regulations to adapt to metric and that will solve a big issue which is the massive disruption to production when you switch standards.  If industries already use the metric system you won't and massive lobby push back from companies/industries.  Realistically I don't see us ever changing in my life time fully.  I can totally see metric being used behind the average users eyes.  Especially when things get made more and more over seas where metric is king.

Always enough on this topic.  I don't mean to take over CasualCart's thoughts thread.  

Funny you mention overseas, they measure buildings here in ping.

It was a really funny moment when my father and I were looking at houses many years back, and my ex not only was trying to translate from Chinese to English, but from ping into basically anything else that would be understood by a westerner.

8 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I didn't say everyone would get used to it.  I said I would get used to it.  I don't care if others don't like it, but I already mentioned that I'm selfish.  My point was that no matter when you do it, there will be an entire generation that has to live with the change and a percentage of that generation will always be upset.  However, any future generations will have no issues because they will be born into it.  

Also, Celsius and Fahrenheit would probably be the one that would take me the longest to get used to (even though I say we go with Kelvin).  I've pretty much got distance and velocity down already (being a runner helps).  

Weight is another fun one.  I used to work in the lead industry and we measured everything in tons.  However, since we shipped a lot of stuff overseas, we measured everything in both short tons and metric tons.  That was always fun.  2204.62 pounds in a metric ton.  That number is burned into my memory.  

Edited by TDIRunner

Graphics Team · Posted

Sometimes I think really terrible ads are the most effective...
Like with premium-versions of streaming services: Entice people to pay you for getting rid of annoying ads by pestering them with annoying ads about getting rid of annoying ads.

-CasualCart

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CasualCart said:

Sometimes I think really terrible ads are the most effective...
Like with premium-versions of streaming services: Entice people to pay you for getting rid of annoying ads by pestering them with annoying ads about getting rid of annoying ads.

-CasualCart

I usually remember terrible ads, but I rarely remember what they're for.

• 9 months later...
6 hours ago, CasualCart said:

I have really terrible circulation in my hands and feet, which leads me to believe the same holds true for my head.
If only there was a little blood-flow to my brain, then I'd finally be smart...maybe...

-CasualCart

I'm going to start using this excuse on a daily basis.