IGNORED

Best platform for puzzle games?

Strange

So if there’s one thing I picked up during the pandemic it’s puzzle games. A bunch of Tetris 99 led to Puyo Puyo, then Puzzle League (Tetris Attack) and so on. I’m curious what others think is the best platform for puzzle games. It can also include puzzle games like Solomon’s Key and Lolo, but I guess my initial interest came from falling block/matching style games like the ones mentioned above.

• Like 1

Toss up, depends how you feel about how you input your puzzle action.  Gameboy or DS(3DS) as one is traditional, and the other has touch which has its own helpful or unique mechanics.  GB though had far more varied puzzles, but some stuff just worked far better on DS.

Maybe the best answer: Nintendo handhelds. 😄

Yeah, I figured a Nintendo handheld would be a near unanimous answer. Seems like the perfect genre for the pick up and go nature of handhelds, and look at us today still playing Tetris 99 on Switch or Candy Crush on mobile devices. Seeing how perfect the stylus is for the genre, you almost wonder if the DS was made for puzzle games.

I will say I think a sleeper for this is the NES/Famicom. You’ve of course got Tetris, Dr. Mario, Tetris 2, Puzznic, Puyo Puyo on FC, Yoshi (meh in my opinion but I can squeeze a few fun minutes out of it), Wario’s Woods (which I’m a huge fan of), Yoshi’s Cookie, etc. on top of different puzzlers like Solomon’s Key and Fire N Ice (whose boss theme I can’t get out of my head).

When I do play puzzle games (which is not that often), I prefer a controller/handheld that grips well in my hand.  I have messed up Tetris many times because of my hands and fingers just not working well with a controller.  🙂  So, it would have to be the NES (controller is a perfect fit for me, and, of course, the most time I have spent with a controller) or the original GameBoy.  For me, the DS and 3DS are just too...floppy?...for me.  😄

If we're not including PC in this which I think wins tenfold, or mobile... ((shudder)) ...I'd have to go with the DS. The touch screen really played into a lot of different puzzle games and depending on whether you mean strictly Tetris style puzzles or puzzle adventures too, the DS has a lot of both but particularly excels in the latter. As has been mentioned the Professor Layton games are amazing and are the quintessential puzzle adventure games.

18 hours ago, Strange said:

I will say I think a sleeper for this is the NES/Famicom. You’ve of course got Tetris, Dr. Mario, Tetris 2, Puzznic, Puyo Puyo on FC, Yoshi (meh in my opinion but I can squeeze a few fun minutes out of it), Wario’s Woods (which I’m a huge fan of), Yoshi’s Cookie, etc. on top of different puzzlers like Solomon’s Key and Fire N Ice (whose boss theme I can’t get out of my head).

I'll back this up. I also like Pipe Dream, Loopz, and Krazy Kreatures.