IGNORED

Should I get my cib collection graded?

Hey guys, curious on everyone’s thoughts here. I know the ultimate answer is “do whatever makes you happy “. But just want some other point of views. 

I have my sega 32x collection that i just finished a few days ago and i love it. They are all in the plastic game protectors that you typically see that fit them perfectly and allow them to show off their artwork well, but im wondering would it be best to get them graded and sealed for extra protection and that final level imo for the collection?

pros for it in my mind

1). Extra protection from the elements (also not a bad plan now that i have a son who i still haven’t gone through his teachable twos yet)

2). They get a grade. Kind of neat to see. Especially some of the cooler finds like kolibri and my pitfall having been bought played once it looks like and the original receipts left in the box from the 90’s. Other titles i may try to find a slightly better cib version before submitting

3). I do like the looks of the wata cases

4). In theory would raise their value 

some cons

1). Cant play them anymore, but thats what repros and emulation is all about. Even could get an everdrive 

2). The cost to get them graded. Of course if i want to wait like two years or something i could do the free tier

3). Less real estate on the shelves for them. Right now they are nicely in order of value 

4). The wait and worry. The waiting on them to get back and the worry of one getting lost or damaged. Especially since I couldn’t afford to do them all at once. Id have to do 1-2 at a time I believe 

5). They may not even grade spiderman due to its box being cut and put in a claim shell. Ive got a question out to them about this and if they don’t that means id have that one game not graded while the others would be

first world problems lol. Thoughts?

thanks again,

I am not a fan of grading, especially for CIB stuff. I also have some serious issues with what Wata and Heritage have done to the hobby and how lower income collectors have been effectively priced out.

Aside from those ethical issues, part of the joy of collecting for me is cracking open the box at any time to admire the contents. I also collect a LOT of games, so the space issue is real. So grading is not for me.

If you're definitely going to get things graded, consider just doing a few of your showpieces or favorite items. Although maybe you should just go all out since I'm pretty certain you'd be the only person in the world with a complete graded 32X set. Haha.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'd just leave them as is. You could meet in the middle and get some acrylic display cases from VGA, but I think they are about $20 each.

That’s actually not a bad idea. I didn’t think about just buying their cases. I wouldn’t have to send them in for grading as some of them wouldn’t grade high anyhow especially just cib. The nicer cases would protect them better. Nice to have a grade but then knowing my personality it maybe best that i dont know the grade of some lol

something to really consider here

2 minutes ago, Matthewnimmo said:

That’s actually not a bad idea. I didn’t think about just buying their cases. I wouldn’t have to send them in for grading as some of them wouldn’t grade high anyhow especially just cib. The nicer cases would protect them better. Nice to have a grade but then knowing my personality it maybe best that i dont know the grade of some lol

something to really consider here

It would give you the graded game look with the ability to still open the boxes and play the games. Kind of the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'd just leave them as is. You could meet in the middle and get some acrylic display cases from VGA, but I think they are about $20 each.

This is a great idea. This is what I do with my pricier NES and SNES games. I love how it looks and they're still accessible.

• Like 1

It would cost what, like $4000? Surely you can better your collection more with $4k by buying cool stuff and not obliterating your shelf space by grading Toughman Contest. 

Also one graded game looks nice, like a showpiece case for your big fancy doo dad. A shelf full of them is awkwardly spaced out and plasticy and doesn’t have that... room of doom feel of having a shelf crammed with cool video games.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

Also hold up if your Spiderman is cut into a rental case, spend the money on a Spiderman box upgrade!

This!  I may just do some nicer cases and no grading. Will save a ton of time and money that way. Also need to think about what my shelves would look like even with them in the acrylic cases that are non grade. They seem pretty low profile compaired to the graded wata ones. So may not be a big deal. Plus i can get them uv protection on them as i hear that the 32x boxes fade badly with any light

only problem i have these days with spidy is i just need the freaking box and no one sells that. Ill probably have to save up and buy the cib one off ebay some year and sell my other to make up the cost some

5 hours ago, Matthewnimmo said:

Hey guys, curious on everyone’s thoughts here. I know the ultimate answer is “do whatever makes you happy “. But just want some other point of views. 

I have my sega 32x collection that i just finished a few days ago and i love it. They are all in the plastic game protectors that you typically see that fit them perfectly and allow them to show off their artwork well, but im wondering would it be best to get them graded and sealed for extra protection and that final level imo for the collection?

pros for it in my mind

1). Extra protection from the elements (also not a bad plan now that i have a son who i still haven’t gone through his teachable twos yet)

2). They get a grade. Kind of neat to see. Especially some of the cooler finds like kolibri and my pitfall having been bought played once it looks like and the original receipts left in the box from the 90’s. Other titles i may try to find a slightly better cib version before submitting

3). I do like the looks of the wata cases

4). In theory would raise their value 

some cons

1). Cant play them anymore, but thats what repros and emulation is all about. Even could get an everdrive 

2). The cost to get them graded. Of course if i want to wait like two years or something i could do the free tier

3). Less real estate on the shelves for them. Right now they are nicely in order of value 

4). The wait and worry. The waiting on them to get back and the worry of one getting lost or damaged. Especially since I couldn’t afford to do them all at once. Id have to do 1-2 at a time I believe 

5). They may not even grade spiderman due to its box being cut and put in a claim shell. Ive got a question out to them about this and if they don’t that means id have that one game not graded while the others would be

first world problems lol. Thoughts?

thanks again,

• Do you care which grade they get? Anything not sealed will be unlikely to get over a 6 or 7 grade so if you only want 9.0 and above on display, don't bother.
  • Free tier? This isn't AWS, they don't have a free tier.
  • If Spiderman has a box, cut or not, they'll grade it. It'll probably grade a 1 out of 10 but it'll still grade. 

24 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:
  • Do you care which grade they get? Anything not sealed will be unlikely to get over a 6 or 7 grade so if you only want 9.0 and above on display, don't bother.
  • Free tier? This isn't AWS, they don't have a free tier.
  • If Spiderman has a box, cut or not, they'll grade it. It'll probably grade a 1 out of 10 but it'll still grade. 

Most would grade 6-7’s for sure two that i have would most certainly grade higher than that. I saw a pretty crappy graded wata spiderman on ebay that graded at 7 cib and most of mine are at least that condition if not better, but as others have said might be best to spend funds on perhaps a better spidy box if i ever find one:/

on wata’s aite their pricing chart shows a $0 option for like 170 days. Not sure how that even works to covering costs of grading and the cases

you’re probably right on the spiderman box i have. I believe ive heard they will garde any game as long as it fits one of their standard boxes. I cannot believe it would score higher than say a 3-4 due to the box. The manual and game are excellent condition, but that box i think would be a .5 or 1 if i was lucky 

4 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Grading to me only makes sense if you're selling, and the margins work in your favor.

Otherwise, I don't understand it at all.  You're paying huge amounts of money to make your games unplayable.

As a person who has a thing for sealed collectibles, all I can say is that it is a 'preservation' thing. The only maintenance needed is temperature and humidity control. And to keep the acrylic cases both clean and safe, which is a lot less stressful when compared to it being done for sealed/loose video games.

Plus those who have money to do this can buy a second copy to play, or even have the data transferred to a MAME machine. With the former it is legal as long as they own a physical copy. Which might be the way things end by the time you become Robo Reed Rothchild V.2 (V.1 could not walk up stairs).

• Like 2

Also... I second @Bearcat-Doug's suggestion that you look into ordering bottom-sliding cases from CGA.

A lot of Transformers collectors I used to follow opted for these because it was cheaper for some, and keeping a "CIB" item from more wear and tear for others. Plus it tends to have a better visual appeal for those who do not like seeing labels anywhere on (or above) the case. Plus you can focus more on your collection and less on a grade you might not like.

In the end I only recommend grading if you want to do more than preserve a game. Selling now, or later, is always an option. But in your case, get the cases now and grade them when you have a reason to do that. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FenrirZero said:

As a person who has a thing for sealed collectibles, all I can say is that it is a 'preservation' thing. 

I keep all my garmez in a filthy sack.

1 hour ago, FenrirZero said:

Which might be the way things end by the time you become Robo Reed Rothchild V.2 (V.1 could not walk up stairs).

ROBO-CHUB ENGAGED! **Whirrrr** **Zip** 🔩🤖

• Haha 2