IGNORED

Movie Debate #54: The Terminator

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal thoughts

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • You haven't seen the movie, but you're interested in watching it.
    • You have no interest in watching it.

Editorials Team · Posted

I'm actually watching it over lunch, right now.  It had been a few years, and I've been on an '80s action kick, so I figured why not?

I'm feeling a low 8/10.  It's classic Arnie, but probably my least favorite of the 5 movies I'm doing this month.

4 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

I often ponder time travel in fiction and reality and there is no winning. Even the best movies have to make some logical sacrifices (Looper, for example, falls apart on repeat viewing). Unfortunately, the only movie I've ever seen with internal consistency regarding time travel is Primer and even there it still takes some leaps of logic.

For sure.  Haven't seen Looper, will have to check that one out.

@Hammerfestuslol, I gave it an 8.

49 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

This is where I pick on @RH for not having seen any of the 4 Arnold movies

Someone stage this man an intervention

I've seen this one man.  The Gloves Curse has ended for me.

EDIT

Waaaaait... I could have sworn I gave this an 8?!

Edited by RH

Events Team · Posted
8 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

So 10?

Best of the series.  It's a great stalker horror movie in it's own right and feels a lot more real than T2.  Even with the time travel, Terminator feels like it could actually happen and there's a gripping sense of dread throughout. 

I'd give T2 a 10 as well but damn that movie is long, the special editions in particular seem like a marathon at times.  It's certainly great but it's a little more fantastical than the original and my suspension of disbelief doesn't go quite as far.  Terminator hits the sweet spot for runtime and has better mystery surrounding future events.

Edited by JamesRobot
  • Like 3

I don't wanna oversell it, but I think The Terminator is a masterpiece. It's got this grit to it, and everything seems to come together perfectly. The future war scenes look amazing for the budget the movie was made with, and Arnold is a far more imposing villain than any other villain in the series. Even the T-1000, which is terrifying in it's own right, doesn't compare. The stop motion at the end of the movie unintentionally drives home the sheer inhumanity of the T-800, and makes it's very existence seem all the more disturbing.  This aspect of the character is completely lost in the sequels. Even if it is a hero it's still an abomination where it's very existence hints at the suffering of untold amounts of people. Probably experiemented on in most likely horrific ways, just to get the look and the articulation/movements correct to create an effective infiltration unit. You can't just create a machine that lifelike with just a photograph and some basic knowledge of human anatomy. Skynet had to dig deep.

The fact that you are left to infer that as opposed to being outright told, along with many other aspects of the world Kyle Reese comes from, make it more intriguing.

So yeah, I really like this film.

Edited by Jono1874
  • Like 3

I watched it recently and it was an absolute masterpiece. Old style sci-fi goodness, some scenes were a little low budget but I'd say it kinda helps the movie rather than makes it look bad. I started to like it on the spot which is a really rare feeling for me. Absolute 10/10, would give it an oscar if I could. Next one on the list I was dreading for a long time- Terminator 2

Edited by VegaVegas
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...