IGNORED

Cryptocurrency thread

phart010

40 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Are you still going for 1 bitcoin? I wouldn't mind having two, but I'm also fairly satisfied with where I'm at.

Somewhere right around 1 since it's close to 50k and that's a reasonable amount of my portfolio to invest in crypto. I may come back to it with small investments here and there, but I'm also getting 6.5% interest on Voyager which automatically reinvests.

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

Somewhere right around 1 since it's close to 50k and that's a reasonable amount of my portfolio to invest in crypto. I may come back to it with small investments here and there, but I'm also getting 6.5% interest on Voyager which automatically reinvests.

That's about where I am with it. I might add to it again in a few months, but I've probably got enough in it for the time being. 

Administrator · Posted
12 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Happy Season 17 GIF by The Simpsons

Sadly I don't have much sitting there ready to move into it, so I did the max allowed - $250. I might pump another 250 in with each paycheque, or something like that. Was considering "diversifying" with some ETH as well. 

54 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Sadly I don't have much sitting there ready to move into it, so I did the max allowed - $250. I might pump another 250 in with each paycheque, or something like that. Was considering "diversifying" with some ETH as well. 

That's a solid plan. It will add up quick as long as you stick with it.

Administrator · Posted
11 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That's a solid plan. It will add up quick as long as you stick with it.

I feel like I've sat on my hands with it long enough. Just 5 or so years ago (whenever it was) when it hit like $1k I was like "nah I just don't get it, feels like gambling" but it's starting to get accepted places and I'm starting to see that I am really not good at betting on the future lol.

I got out of crypto in early 2017. Sold the last of my Bitcoin and walked away.

On a whim, I logged into my old wallet and in late 2019, someone sent me .0055BTC. In 2019, that wouldn't have been much but it was nice to find about $350 worth of free crypto! It's now setting as ETH in my Coinbase wallet. It's going to stay that way for a while.

Edited by RH

50 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I feel like I've sat on my hands with it long enough. Just 5 or so years ago (whenever it was) when it hit like $1k I was like "nah I just don't get it, feels like gambling" but it's starting to get accepted places and I'm starting to see that I am really not good at betting on the future lol.

I thought I was late getting into it last year at $15k and I've done pretty well. Just put in what you're comfortable with so you aren't stressing out anytime it goes down. 

On 4/2/2021 at 11:23 AM, Code Monkey said:

I'm guaranteeing Bitcoin will be over $100,000 by the end of this year and some investors are speculating $250,000 by the end of next year.

I have my main account with my girlfriend but I started a personal trading account this week and put $5000 into it to try my own trading. A lot of these are going up around 2-5% per day so if you diversify, you should be able to easily increase by 5% per week. That'll get me a total of $250 for this week but at the end of 52 weeks, it'll be $57,000. At the end of 2 years it'll be $800,000.

2 full weeks in and here we are:

initial investment: $3991 USD

Expected total after 1 week: $4190

Actual total after 1 week: $4230

Expected total after 2 weeks (today): 4400

Actual total after 2 weeks (today): $4411 as of right now

5% per week for 2 years, it's working so far.

Edited by Code Monkey

8 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

2 full weeks in and here we are:

initial investment: $3991 USD

Expected total after 1 week: $4190

Actual total after 1 week: $4230

Expected total after 2 weeks (today): 4400

Actual total after 2 weeks (today): $4411 as of right now

5% per week for 2 years, it's working so far.

I've been meaning to try this. I set up a Coinbase Pro account so I'm ready to go.

4 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I've been meaning to try this. I set up a Coinbase Pro account so I'm ready to go.

Oil is up, causing cryptocurrency to fall so now is the time to get in.

Or wait until the massive sell off for people to pay for vacations once the travel bans are lifted. I am assuming people have been dropping their vacation money into temporary cryptocurrency investments so that will all be pulled out later this year.

2 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Oil is up, causing cryptocurrency to fall so now is the time to get in.

Or wait until the massive sell off for people to pay for vacations once the travel bans are lifted. I am assuming people have been dropping their vacation money into temporary cryptocurrency investments so that will all be pulled out later this year.

I may just add to my bitcoin in the fall if the prices don't jump in the next few months. 

They all do different things, it's whatever you think will be a popular service in the long run.

Bitcoin is an actual digital currency, none of the others are. The point of this coin is to decentralize currency from the big banks and decouple it from financial institutions.

Ethereum is completely different, it's a smart contract blockchain that allows you to build your own tokens. These can be NFT, a smart contract or a currency, whatever you want to make. Then you can add it to the blockchain by paying to have it added. This payment is called gas and is in the form of Ether (ETH). People buy ETH in order to deploy their tokens on the block chain and other people like you and I buy it just to invest. So yes, there's actually a real world reason for this unique currency to exist.

Ripple is a payment processing software that runs on the blockchain. In order to process a payment transaction on its chain, you need gas in the form of XRP, Ripple's native coin.

TRON is software that allows software developers like me to deploy my own decentralized application (DApp) onto their blockchain and their gas is called TRX.

Cardano uses ADA for its gas and works just like Ethereum except Cardano uses proof of stake instead of proof of work which is why I think it will surpass Bitcoin and Ethereum eventually. More on this at the end.

So you just need to invest in the native coin for whichever software you think will be popular. Personally I think Ethereum is good but TRON is way better in terms of how many transactions it can handle per second and the fact it's proof of stake instead of proof of work. I highly advise anyone to pull all ETH coins right now and put them into TRX or some other proof of stake chain.

What's proof of work? The blockchain counts on us, the community, to validate each next block on the chain. If a transaction takes place where I sell 2 coins to you, that gets added to the chain and some random person in the world validates it. To prevent me from validating a bogus transaction of 100 coins to myself, I need to prove I'm worthy of validating. Bitcoin and Ethereum both work on proof of work which forces you to find the solution to a very complicated computational problem with your computer and once you've expended all that time and cost in electricity, it allows you to validate. Because you are so deep in doing all this work to get to this point, it's unlikely you would throw that away and approve a bogus transaction.

What's proof of stake? Everyone talks about how much power the Bitcoin blockchain consumes with proof of work and all these computers running computations (mining). Other companies like Cardano and TRON have come up with proof of stake which asks the validator to put up a number of their personal coins before processing a transaction. The "stake" is generally more valuable than the value of the transaction being validated so it's unlikely I would risk my 5 coins to validate a transaction for 3 coins. Once the next block is added to the chain and my validation is validated, I get my stake back plus a little extra for my service (gas).

All proof of work is going to die and Ethereum is actually working on switching to proof of stake. That's why I think Bitcoin will die a horrible death while the next digital currency coming along will replace it.

New Balance actually released NFT (non-fungible tokens) on the Cardano blockchain (ADA) last year and they use them to validate their sneakers. You can go to the website, enter some information and it will validate whether or not your sneakers are authentic. Uses like this will certainly grow in the future and I'm surprised Wata isn't using it with their matrices.

Extra fun.........what's a NFT? For certain blockchains like Ethereum, you can add whatever you want if you're willing to pay the gas fee. I can add a picture of my face or a recording of my voice, anything I want. That information is added to the blockchain as a token and can be added as one of a few different kinds. If it's created as a ERC20 token, then it's fungible. This means you can replace one with another and there's no difference. If I swapped my Bitcoin for your Bitcoin, there's no difference, those are fungible. If it's created as a ERC 721 token, these are non-fungible so each one is unique. These non-fungible tokens are NFT and can be anything you want to sell as a unique item........like original digital art or a numbered baseball card.

I've been doing a lot of research on this lately and actually started creating my own NFT to deploy last night. I'm going to try and build some sort of NFT application where it can be linked to a physical object for validation. *cough*WATACALLME*cough*

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

They all do different things, it's whatever you think will be a popular service in the long run.

Bitcoin is an actual digital currency, none of the others are. The point of this coin is to decentralize currency from the big banks and decouple it from financial institutions.

Ethereum is completely different, it's a smart contract blockchain that allows you to build your own tokens. These can be NFT, a smart contract or a currency, whatever you want to make. Then you can add it to the blockchain by paying to have it added. This payment is called gas and is in the form of Ether (ETH). People buy ETH in order to deploy their tokens on the block chain and other people like you and I buy it just to invest. So yes, there's actually a real world reason for this unique currency to exist.

Ripple is a payment processing software that runs on the blockchain. In order to process a payment transaction on its chain, you need gas in the form of XRP, Ripple's native coin.

TRON is software that allows software developers like me to deploy my own decentralized application (DApp) onto their blockchain and their gas is called TRX.

Cardano uses ADA for its gas and works just like Ethereum except Cardano uses proof of stake instead of proof of work which is why I think it will surpass Bitcoin and Ethereum eventually. More on this at the end.

So you just need to invest in the native coin for whichever software you think will be popular. Personally I think Ethereum is good but TRON is way better in terms of how many transactions it can handle per second and the fact it's proof of stake instead of proof of work. I highly advise anyone to pull all ETH coins right now and put them into TRX or some other proof of stake chain.

What's proof of work? The blockchain counts on us, the community, to validate each next block on the chain. If a transaction takes place where I sell 2 coins to you, that gets added to the chain and some random person in the world validates it. To prevent me from validating a bogus transaction of 100 coins to myself, I need to prove I'm worthy of validating. Bitcoin and Ethereum both work on proof of work which forces you to find the solution to a very complicated computational problem with your computer and once you've expended all that time and cost in electricity, it allows you to validate. Because you are so deep in doing all this work to get to this point, it's unlikely you would throw that away and approve a bogus transaction.

What's proof of stake? Everyone talks about how much power the Bitcoin blockchain consumes with proof of work and all these computers running computations (mining). Other companies like Cardano and TRON have come up with proof of stake which asks the validator to put up a number of their personal coins before processing a transaction. The "stake" is generally more valuable than the value of the transaction being validated so it's unlikely I would risk my 5 coins to validate a transaction for 3 coins. Once the next block is added to the chain and my validation is validated, I get my stake back plus a little extra for my service (gas).

All proof of work is going to die and Ethereum is actually working on switching to proof of stake. That's why I think Bitcoin will die a horrible death while the next digital currency coming along will replace it.

New Balance actually released NFT (non-fungible tokens) on the Cardano blockchain (ADA) last year and they use them to validate their sneakers. You can go to the website, enter some information and it will validate whether or not your sneakers are authentic. Uses like this will certainly grow in the future and I'm surprised Wata isn't using it with their matrices.

Extra fun.........what's a NFT? For certain blockchains like Ethereum, you can add whatever you want if you're willing to pay the gas fee. I can add a picture of my face or a recording of my voice, anything I want. That information is added to the blockchain as a token and can be added as one of a few different kinds. If it's created as a ERC20 token, then it's fungible. This means you can replace one with another and there's no difference. If I swapped my Bitcoin for your Bitcoin, there's no difference, those are fungible. If it's created as a ERC 721 token, these are non-fungible so each one is unique. These non-fungible tokens are NFT and can be anything you want to sell as a unique item........like original digital art or a numbered baseball card.

I've been doing a lot of research on this lately and actually started creating my own NFT to deploy last night. I'm going to try and build some sort of NFT application where it can be linked to a physical object for validation. *cough*WATACALLME*cough*

Incredible writeup. 

12 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

That's the first explanation I've read of what a NFT is that actually makes sense.