IGNORED

List of Advertisements for Unreleased NES Games

mideast

11 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I don't know where these are from, but I've had these images on my computer forever: a reference to an unreleased game called "World War III" by LJN and the originally intended box art for Freedom Force...

LJN-3 (WWIII).jpg

NES Freedom Force original box art.jpg

Nice find!! I'm going to add World War III to the list, I found a hi-res scan of that flyer. The Freedom Force seems to be the same box art as the release though, looks like they just added a description for a promo flyer?

1 minute ago, mideast said:

Nice find!! I'm going to add World War III to the list, I found a hi-res scan of that flyer. The Freedom Force seems to be the same box art as the release though, looks like they just added a description for a promo flyer?

No, they had to alter the top right portion of the box art because NOA objected to having a gunman holding a gun to a woman's head...

• Haha 1

I just found out about "Escape From Atlantis" a few days ago when I saw this ebay ad:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NES-Famicom-Holy-Grail-Lot/124456309626?hash=item1cfa2c937a:g:fMUAAOSw8vJfvaE2

I also found a website where it could be ordered from someone who would put it in either a blue or black shell so I figured that's probably where these 2 came from.

Not sure if there's any relation but there was a Sega CD game called "The Third World War" developed and published by Micronet...

I've got an insert or three that includes an ad for an unreleased game.  I'll dig 'em out tomorrow.

On 12/25/2020 at 11:12 PM, mideast said:

I was just reading about Fun House and a bunch of other prototypes you brought to light! You got Chuck Yeager dumped too right? I'm debating whether to include prototype boxes and VidPro cards to the list. I included a mock up box for NKOTB that was sold on eBay by the wife of an editor from EGM magazine. They said they apparently used it as a hockey puck at the office that's why it's so beat up lol. And I've found what seem to be legitimate front & backs for War on Wheels, Fun House and SimCity.

Edit: I added a bunch of Vidpros scanned by Frank Cifaldi at Lost Levels!

Yeah, I released hundreds of protos over the years.  From your list I released for sure:

Spy vs Spy 2

Crash and the Boys Ice Challenge (early Ike! Ike! Hockey without translations done yet)

Fighting Simulator World Champ

Crazyland

A bunch not on the list (Chuck Yeager, Kitty's Catch, Hoppin' Mad, USA Bowling, Arcadia VI, others).

I owned a bunch of others on the list, but can't remember if I was the one who released the ROM, if it was others, or if it was never released publicly (War on Wheels, Noah's Ark, Super Turrican, Ufouria, one of the many Airballs, many others on the list).  I backed up the Madden proto (it's like 3 static screens that cycle through each other, I hesitate to even call it a proto) but no one released that.

Fun House was a weird one.  Played very similar to the Muppet game.  There was an animation that very much looked like the host J.D. Roth was jerking off (seriously, I have no idea why they added it).

Nice list my man.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Braveheart69 said:

Dear Phleo... 
The Sqoon in my collection is dead mint and has only been opened 2 or 3 times tops as it was part of the B&B Heist famous post from NA days.  I still have all the pictures and as a reminder that guy bought the games, unsealed them, stuck them on a shelf, and never played them or did anything with them according to the executor of his estate who sold them to me.  

BB Heist 1.JPG

Man, if you ever sell guided tours of your collection, I'll be first in line.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, PII said:

I just found out about "Escape From Atlantis" a few days ago when I saw this ebay ad:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NES-Famicom-Holy-Grail-Lot/124456309626?hash=item1cfa2c937a:g:fMUAAOSw8vJfvaE2

I also found a website where it could be ordered from someone who would put it in either a blue or black shell so I figured that's probably where these 2 came from.

Not sure if there's any relation but there was a Sega CD game called "The Third World War" developed and published by Micronet...

I've got an insert or three that includes an ad for an unreleased game.  I'll dig 'em out tomorrow.

Yeah the prototype for Escape From Atlantis was released, the graphics don't look great I'm not sure how the game play is lol. And yes please take a look if you have an inserts or ads! And lemme know if it hasn't been listed

2 hours ago, MrMark0673 said:

Yeah, I released hundreds of protos over the years.  From your list I released for sure:

Spy vs Spy 2

Crash and the Boys Ice Challenge (early Ike! Ike! Hockey without translations done yet)

Fighting Simulator World Champ

Crazyland

A bunch not on the list (Chuck Yeager, Kitty's Catch, Hoppin' Mad, USA Bowling, Arcadia VI, others).

I owned a bunch of others on the list, but can't remember if I was the one who released the ROM, if it was others, or if it was never released publicly (War on Wheels, Noah's Ark, Super Turrican, Ufouria, one of the many Airballs, many others on the list).  I backed up the Madden proto (it's like 3 static screens that cycle through each other, I hesitate to even call it a proto) but no one released that.

Fun House was a weird one.  Played very similar to the Muppet game.  There was an animation that very much looked like the host J.D. Roth was jerking off (seriously, I have no idea why they added it).

Nice list my man.

Thanks brother!! Your name came up more than a few times researching about unreleased prototypes. Do you still actively hunt/purchase them? And do you still have many in your collection, or were a bunch sold over the years?

I'm adding a column in the list for found prototypes. That Madden one, is there any info about it online or screenshots?

4 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

@Dr. Morbis looks like an LJN Press Kit.

Also there’s a LJN NBA game Flyer in there too! Interesting 🙂 

Wow good eye I didn't even see that! I wish we had an unobstructed view of it, it looks like they intended to license it like they did with the MLB and NFL. I also read that Nightmare on Elm Street flyer advertises the original version of the game where you played Freddy hunting the kids instead of the kids themselves.

3 hours ago, mideast said:

Yeah the prototype for Escape From Atlantis was released, the graphics don't look great I'm not sure how the game play is lol. And yes please take a look if you have an inserts or ads! And lemme know if it hasn't been listed

Ok, here's what I've got.  It looks like you have them all listed but none of the promotional inserts pictured.  If you'd like some photos I should be able to take some good ones in the next week or so.

Ninja Taro + 6 other American Sammy games

Price Is Right, The + 4 other Game Tek games (one of which just says "Password" over a pink backround.)

Xybots + 11 other Tengen Games

I also have an Ultra games promo/insert that has an alternate pic for Mission Impossible.  It doesn't really look like alternate box art, more like a place holder in lieu of box art, as it's a "live action" pic.

I also have a Sega insert that includes The Itchy and Scratchy Game for genesis which never came out, although repros from the prototype are available, I think.

Just off the top of my head, I remember that there was supposed to be a "Twin Peaks" game on NES that never came out.  It was in the upcoming games section of at least one Nintendo Power.  I've never seen any promotional ad/artwork for that one though.

19 minutes ago, PII said:

Ok, here's what I've got.  It looks like you have them all listed but none of the promotional inserts pictured.  If you'd like some photos I should be able to take some good ones in the next week or so.

Ninja Taro + 6 other American Sammy games

Price Is Right, The + 4 other Game Tek games (one of which just says "Password" over a pink backround.)

Xybots + 11 other Tengen Games

I also have an Ultra games promo/insert that has an alternate pic for Mission Impossible.  It doesn't really look like alternate box art, more like a place holder in lieu of box art, as it's a "live action" pic.

I also have a Sega insert that includes The Itchy and Scratchy Game for genesis which never came out, although repros from the prototype are available, I think.

Just off the top of my head, I remember that there was supposed to be a "Twin Peaks" game on NES that never came out.  It was in the upcoming games section of at least one Nintendo Power.  I've never seen any promotional ad/artwork for that one though.

Those all sound really good! They're all from pack-in inserts? The Price Is Right and other GameTek I added some pics that came in released game manuals. Are the ones you have from insert posters? If so I'd like them. The Xybots one is from a poster too? I have a magazine ad with a bunch of other games. The Mission Impossible I'd like too. Basically everything you listed sounds great, as long as there's no photo of it listed already.

Twin Peaks I saw in one of the magazines but there's no box art or screen shots so I'm not including it. And the Sega one will have to wait for another day when I tackle the Genesis lol.

Thanks!!

59 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Hammerin Harry and Kung Fu 2 both had planned NA releases that got canceled. I posted pics on my Konami binder thread

Let me say, that Konami Binder is amazing! I'm saving those pics for my own database lol. The Hammerin Harry I'm gonna add to the list. The Kung Fu II one is the same as a print advertisement I found in an issue of VG&CE.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mideast said:

Thanks brother!! Your name came up more than a few times researching about unreleased prototypes. Do you still actively hunt/purchase them? And do you still have many in your collection, or were a bunch sold over the years?

I'm adding a column in the list for found prototypes. That Madden one, is there any info about it online or screenshots?

I have some stuff still (Mega Man 2 with major text differences being my favorite) and a few dozen loose chips of some nice stuff, but I haven’t actively tracked stuff down in a while. I just bought my 4th multifamily house in Boston, I teach full time, own a small business, and have a daughter who is almost 3, so I don’t really have the time.  I sent Frank a few hundred ROMs a while back with some of the stuff I had accumulated with my brother, but haven’t done much since.

The Madden proto is/was owned by a member of this forum.  They might have bought it from Dream but I can’t remember.

It is 3-4 static images that cycle, zero user interaction in any capacity.  Appears more of a proof of concept than anything else.  I dumped it for the owner and sent the game back, but the ROM isn’t out there publicly.  The game started development to some degree though, so you’re safe to call it having a confirmed prototype in a collector’s hands, even if the cartridge is more of an ad then a demo/proto.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mideast said:

Those all sound really good! They're all from pack-in inserts? The Price Is Right and other GameTek I added some pics that came in released game manuals. Are the ones you have from insert posters? If so I'd like them. The Xybots one is from a poster too? I have a magazine ad with a bunch of other games. The Mission Impossible I'd like too. Basically everything you listed sounds great, as long as there's no photo of it listed already.

Yeah, they're all insert posters that came with games and none of the posters are linked in the list.  The one with Xybots came inside a Fantasy Zone Box, ninja taro and price is right I acquired more or less loose and the one with mission impossible probably came with one of my og ultra games..  It might take me a few days, but I'll snap some decent pics.

Great List!

2 minutes ago, PII said:

Yeah, they're all insert posters that came with games and none of the posters are linked in the list.  The one with Xybots came inside a Fantasy Zone Box, ninja taro and price is right I acquired more or less loose and the one with mission impossible probably came with one of my og ultra games..  It might take me a few days, but I'll snap some decent pics.

Great List!

Thanks I appreciate it! Take your time I'll add 'em when you 're ready