IGNORED

New "Play Date" Handheld System Coming Soon

BortLicensePlate

This was announced a while ago, so I'm not sure if its been mentioned here but its a cute little black and white handheld with an analog crank on the side, it will include 12 games, including one by the designer of Katamari Damacy. With the potential for more games in the future if it does well. Also each unit can act as a dev unit and you can create your own games. It looks fairly niche, but I think its pretty cool and I am excited to grab one, just wanted to share in case anyone is interested. Preorders should be announced early 2021, but they're not taking any money until the thing is 100% done.

more info here: https://play.date/

Playdate-hero-shot.thumb.jpg.99a8b8d4ab7b50ebc0c6c75e24013268.jpg

Edited by BortLicensePlate
added link to the website
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BortLicensePlate said:

Theyre asking a bit more than that, looks like $150 on the site

Yeah, I know. I can appreciate novel and experimental projects. That's what Nintendo would do from time to time and it was cool. But for something like this, I need a reasonably low barrier of entry for me to financially get behind it. Sure, they need to recoup costs and even be a bit profitable, but that doesn't mean myself and others value it at a fair profitability point.

I wish them well. Maybe the hobby crowd will buy this thing like game busters or something and one day I can get a new unit in my price range, but for now I'm skeptical and can just wish them the best of luck.

Edited by RH

Guests · Posted

I'm excited for this and will for sure order one. Seems like a good time and the crank is weird, in a good way. Been following the project for quite some time. 

3 hours ago, Mumphy said:

I'm excited for this and will for sure order one. Seems like a good time and the crank is weird, in a good way. Been following the project for quite some time. 

I agree, I think the crank is really neat. Would be really cool for a fishing game or something

• 5 months later...
Graphics Team · Posted
1 minute ago, DoctorEncore said:

I think it looks cool too! They just recently doubled the games for season one and increased the price a bit. I'll be preordering for sure.

Awesome! Yeah I'm planning on putting an order in. Double the games is great, hopefully the update will show a lot of the games they're offering 

• Like 1

I kind of like this thing. At the very least it's not just "another screen on which to play games" with just of phone or PC games, looking at you Amico, Ouya, Luma, Stadia. I'm interested in how much ongoing developer support it's going to get.

The biggest issue seems like no backlight. I don't know that there's any device without a backlight I've ever really enjoyed looking at.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
On 6/9/2021 at 9:09 PM, Deadeye said:

After watching their update video, I am much more interested in getting one.  Looks great if you like indie / unique games or if you want to develop your own games. 

Oh yeah the dev software looks really cool. And I like that they include it for free. Who knows maybe a little community builds out of this and we see new material come out all the time

Administrator · Posted
Just now, BortLicensePlate said:

Oh yeah the dev software looks really cool. And I like that they include it for free. Who knows maybe a little community builds out of this and we see new material come out all the time

Like what happened with Pico.