IGNORED

What are these circle marks on my ps1 disc?

acromite53

13 minutes ago, Bubbapauls said:

Has it been buffed?  I’ve heard of weird things happening when a PS1 disc has been buffed to far.

I'm not sure. I bought this at a thrift store. That thought did cross my mind. I intend to sell this and haven't tested it yet. Maybe resurfacing it with a professional machine would remove the marks. 

22 minutes ago, acromite53 said:

I'm not sure. I bought this at a thrift store. That thought did cross my mind. I intend to sell this and haven't tested it yet. Maybe resurfacing it with a professional machine would remove the marks. 

I’m about 90% sure that the disc has been buffed to far so more buffing won’t really do you any good.  I’d test it and see if it works before trying anything else.

I have similar spots, maybe smaller, on some of my PS2 games (silver DVD discs, and a few gold DVD discs too). Mine are definitely not buffed or resurfaced or even cleaned, in fact they look pretty much new.

I'm thinking it could be some kind of issue with time or storage in a humid location? I tried cleaning just some of those dots and they did seem to go away, at least partially. Seems this is not rotting, or maybe a beginning of rotting from the outside layer? I have no idea. Hope someone can give mor insight.

@acromite53
I looked at a few on eBay and a lot of them had those circles.  I’m not sure what’s going on but it seems to be common with that game.  

Maybe it some kind of off gassing putting a film on the disc.  

I’ve had discs that had a film on them that was easily cleaned off, but it wasn’t circles.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've never had that specific game, but I have had those circles on it and they're definitely not from some wonky pay a store to resurface your stuff system.  It has to be some odd accident/failure at the plant, or much like a chemical yellow in parts SNES, something that popped up through time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

https://imgur.com/a/Vg77Svs

These appear on two of my Atlus games as well:  Tactics Ogre and Hoshigami.  I have a second copy of Hoshigami without the "orbs" that has a darker label side print as well.  Although I don't see any obvious signs, its possible a professional grade resurfacer was used on the second copy which maybe removed them, or this could be a later print where they fixed it.

So far, it looks like this might very well be specific to Atlus games.

Administrator · Posted

This reminds me of a really strange Japanese PS2 disc I discovered not too long ago.

It was brand new and sealed, no visible signs of heat damage or mold.  Upon opening, everything was clean, smelled fine, etc.  Then I look at the disc, and eek!

eeekdisc.jpg

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...