IGNORED

WATA Population Report / Census

Gulag Joe

25 minutes ago, RH said:

Oh, there is good reason why.  Sure they are swamped, but we don't know if they've processed 200,000 games or 2,000,000.  I'm sure some really smart people could probably look at trends and make a solid, educated guess but in general it keeps a false sense of scarcity regarding games.  Do you have the only graded copy of game-X that's a 9.8 or better?  Who knows?  You think your one game is rare, so you might submit more, thinking they will be rare and valuable too.

If people saw that their sealed copy and variant of Pokemon Red has been graded 1,000 times and there are 30 games with a higher score than yours, you're likely to be more choosy on which games you submit, and how many.  So long as you think you are increasing the value of your collectibles, you are inclined to continue to submit them.  Wata will let this happen until 75% of all games are slabbed if they can keep up the marketing and the illusion.

Most of us are thinking this, but did you really have to say this out loud? 

Actually, thanks for saying this out loud. 🤑

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RH said:

Oh, there is good reason why.  Sure they are swamped, but we don't know if they've processed 200,000 games or 2,000,000.  I'm sure some really smart people could probably look at trends and make a solid, educated guess but in general it keeps a false sense of scarcity regarding games.  Do you have the only graded copy of game-X that's a 9.8 or better?  Who knows?  You think your one game is rare, so you might submit more, thinking they will be rare and valuable too.

If people saw that their sealed copy and variant of Pokemon Red has been graded 1,000 times and there are 30 games with a higher score than yours, you're likely to be more choosy on which games you submit, and how many.  So long as you think you are increasing the value of your collectibles, you are inclined to continue to submit them.  Wata will let this happen until 75% of all games are slabbed if they can keep up the marketing and the illusion.

2 hours ago, RH said:

Look what I found.

[REDACTED]

[REDACTED]

[REDACTED]

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RH said:

Well, I was told it came from a public API and the data provided didn't require authentication.  True, I guess you could argue it's copyrighted, but they were freely offering it on their website.

Publishing the raw data might not be allowed but summarizing their data shouldn't be a problem.  It's like watching a movie, taking extensive notes and then posting excessive spoilers online.  A movie studio may rather you not do that, but you're not doing anything illegal.  Obnoxious, yes.  Illegal, nope!

Note, it's not just a public API, it's literally the API query that their own front-end code runs every time you type a character into the game search box on the submission page. Anyone who ever typed into that box got all this data for any string they typed; the browser doesn't show it to you by default, but all you had to do was go look at the 'debugging' tab in the browser and it was right there.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

36 minutes ago, RH said:

Guys, I wouldn't worry about those variant counts.  Someone managed to pull  all of that data Monday for every game currently in their db. Just give it time.

🥸 “someone” you say 

but for real I’m just glad someone got it. 🙂 can’t wait to see it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. CIB said:

Lol looks to be 40+ carts but I think that’s across all regions. Sealed looks to be about 3 and I know a couple of them were crossed from VGA. Compared to pokemon lol it’s rare but the little Samson data shows less if I’m reading it right and I know Samson isn’t rarer than SE. 

Fun stuff and thank you for sharing! 

Well there is a psychological affect of people wanting to grade a game the more rare it is, or the bigger a deal it is.  Granted, SE is #1 and LS is #2 on the "rarity" and desirability list, but Stadium Events is a golden god, sitting on a podium that everyone and their grand mother knows about and if they find, they have some vague realization that it should get graded/protected/verified this way.   Little Samson, however, is only notable amongst collectors.  That is to say, you know about if it you collect video games, but you probably don't if you're an average Jane/Joe.

The point is, when a game has excessive notoriety, owners are more likely to seek out what to do to increase the value and that is to submit it to a grader.  Once you get past the top 10 games though,  I bet the averages start to even out.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OptOut said:

QUICK! Does ANYBODY here have a Tik Tok account?! 😅 🤣

11 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Scandalous. 58 loose SEs graded, that's... about what I would've expected. This blows the lid off everything.

You know, you have a YouTube channel, correct?.  Maybe you could get an advanced copy of any report and make a video about it, with source links to the summary document.

Boom, free promotion for your YouTube channel if any gaming site picks it up.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, RH said:

You know, you have a YouTube channel, correct?.  Maybe you could get an advanced copy of any report and make a video about it, with source links to the summary document.

Boom, free promotion for your YouTube channel if any gaming site picks it up.

I'm not the voice of the grading generation. @Maertens29 (getthegreggames) would be on the button for that. YT videos are too much work, and now my podcast has a patreon so I feel more obligated to put out those shows on time 🥵

• Like 3

• The topic was locked
Administrator · Posted

VGS very much encourages free and open discussion, including even criticism and honest feedback about other companies, the collecting market, etc.  However, VGS does NOT allow, condone, endorse, or encourage obtaining or sharing external information that is not intended for public consumption.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1