IGNORED

First video game invented

Mario_Friend1982

To me, the craziest thing about this story is here was this guy who was trying to make something interesting for an open house at his science department and he had absolutely no clue what he was about to inspire.

Sure, it'd be a while before games would come around, and gaming with computer tech might have been inevitable.  But this guy made the first video game, and which was essentially the invention of an entire new genre of entertainment that would circle the globe.

24 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Who's going to come in here and argue the semantics of the first video game. Is it @ThePhleo? I've got money on @ThePhleo.

Why single me out like that?

Its not like the definition of “Video” is clearly defined as the reproduction of moving visual images, meaning that even something as simple as a Zoetrope can be a video...I’m also more than sure that a Zoetrope electromechanical game should exist, so therefor that would likely be the first video game...but this would be in an arcade setting so you have to count light Gun games which predate video games....

Of course, arcades wouldn’t exist without Bagatelle which is the father of Pachinko and Pinball which itself is a derivative of Billiards....

But it’s a disservice to exclude ALL games just because they’re not tied to a video monitor and Senat is a board game invented about 5000 years ago.

...but sports are also games and Wrestling is widely believed to be the first sport which is something that you can even observe in nature, so technically speaking life itself is a game.

But Bertie the Brain is widely believed to be the first DOCUMENTED video game, though its likely not actually the first since universities had access to computers before this game was publicly displayed, and curious young people will no doubt have made some sort of primitive video game while their professors were away.

Though we all know that anything before Pitfall doesn’t matter, so that’s the first real game.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

spacer.png

I'm 2 parallel universes ahead of the video game collecting scene, and in fourth alternate reality.

We collecting OXO, Nimrod, and replacement vacuum tubes on this plane of reality.

(P.S. I was serious about the Bertie the Brain thing which was in August 1950, so 70 years ago! about 8 years before Tennis for Two, the game OP is referring to)

Edit: I should add, technically Tennis for Two *is* the first VIDEO game since its the first game with actual moving graphics...though if you need moving graphics then text adventure games are no longer video games despite being connected to a video monitor.

Edited by ThePhleo

3 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

But Bertie the Brain is widely believed to be the first DOCUMENTED video game, though its likely not actually the first since universities had access to computers before this game was publicly displayed, and curious young people will no doubt have made some sort of primitive video game while their professors were away.

I generally agree with the video I posted above. To summarize where it landed, it does not consider Bertie the Brain since it doesn't really use a video display. The next candidate would be Strachey's Draughts which was demonstrated in the Summer of 1952. OXO was also demonstrated sometime in 1952.

Edited by 0xDEAFC0DE

Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

I guess I was thinking first home video game.

The Magnavox Odyssey was the first home game, I think. It preceded Pong by a little bit. It wasn't as sophisticated as Pong. Basically just blips of light on a TV that required overlays.