IGNORED

Movie Debate #35: North By Northwest

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Rating explanations down below

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • I haven't seen the movie, but I'm interested in watching it.
    • No interest in watching it.

Moderator · Posted

Easy 10/10. One of the most beautifully shot films of all time. Some of the best chemistry between leads of all time and a killer plot. Have seen it many times from the small screen, film class, small art house to large screen and it never disappoints and always surprises the people I show it to, even if they don’t like “old” movies. 

• Like 3

Easy 10 for me as well.  One of my favorites.  My Dad introduced me to this film as a young kid and I've enjoyed it ever since. The plane scene is extremely iconic even today and of course the ending is fantastic as well.  Really good soundtrack.  

Also

Spoiler

Alfred Hitchcock puts his cameo very close to the beginning of the movie so that you don't spend much time "looking for him" and missing key plot points of the movie.  

I will also remember this movie and the first VHS tape that my family ever bought, and while I don't remember the specific price, I know that it was something ridiculous like $80 or something around that.  It also came in a much larger box for a VHS tape compared to what we consider standard now.  I wonder if they still have it.  

• Like 2

I'm happy to see how many people have enjoyed it so far.  It's certainly not an obscure movie, but I wasn't sure how many people would have seen it.  I feel like most people my age that I know have never heard of it.  It seem like when people hear Alfred Hitchcock, they think Psycho or The Birds.  However, my favorites are North by Northwest and Rear Window.  

Moderator · Posted
4 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

Glad to see some classics on these polls.  Very good movie, but not my favorite Cary Grant film.  Favorite Grant film would be Charade.  I prefer His Girl Friday as well, but that is a different genre. 

Cary Grant is my favorite actor of all time and those late 30’s early 40’s screwball comedies are my favorite genre. Philadelphia Story and My Favorite Wife (Irene Dunne is his perfect movie match) are probably my faves but you can’t go wrong with any of them. 

• Like 2

Moderator · Posted
1 minute ago, TDIRunner said:

I'm happy to see how many people have enjoyed it so far.  It's certainly not an obscure movie, but I wasn't sure how many people would have seen it.  I feel like most people my age that I know have never heard of it.  It seem like when people hear Alfred Hitchcock, they think Psycho or The Birds.  However, my favorites are North by Northwest and Rear Window.  

Give the 39 Steps a watch if you haven’t seen it. It hasn’t aged quite as well as his stuff from the 50’s, but it’s top 5 Hitchcock for me. 

4 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Vertigo...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I have seen that one, but it's been a long time.  For some reason, I rewatch NNW and RR a lot more often.  

I haven't actually seen NNW all the way through, but recently picked it up on a Hitchcock dvd set to fill out some content on my media server.

Vertigo is probably my wife's favorite Hitchcock movie, and it factored into some of our San francisco sight seeing when we were out there 8 or 10 years ago.  Rear window is solid, as well.

3 hours ago, doner24 said:

Cary Grant is my favorite actor of all time and those late 30’s early 40’s screwball comedies are my favorite genre. Philadelphia Story and My Favorite Wife (Irene Dunne is his perfect movie match) are probably my faves but you can’t go wrong with any of them. 

Glad to find another Cary Grant fan. I highly recommend The Talk of the Town if you haven’t seen that one.

Also a great romcom with Clark Gable called It Happened One Night.

I was thinking we needed a classic movie section on here, but figured not many people would post because the majority of people don’t like B&W film. Maybe there’s more than I thought.

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted
19 minutes ago, Shmup said:

Glad to find another Cary Grant fan. I highly recommend The Talk of the Town if you haven’t seen that one.

I was thinking we needed a classic movie section on here, but figured not many people would post because the majority of people don’t like B&W film. Maybe there’s more than I thought.

Oh yeah, I’ve seen every single film of his. Jean Arthur, from that film just happens to be one of my top 2 favorite actress’s along with Irene Dunne. I highly recommend checking out The More the Merrier with her if you haven’t. 

It Happened One Night is film perfection as well!

Moderator · Posted
21 minutes ago, Shmup said:

@guillavoie is a big cinephile as well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, doner24 said:

Oh yeah, I’ve seen every single film of his. Jean Arthur, from that film just happens to be one of my top 2 favorite actress’s along with Irene Dunne. I highly recommend checking out The More the Merrier with her if you haven’t. 

Haha exact same favourite actresses too. I haven’t seen The More the Merrier so thanks for that recommendation, I’ll check it out!

• Like 1

As a James Bond fan, I really like this movie a lot as it seems like a James Bond type of movie before James Bond movies even existed.  And yeah, I know the "whisked away into an adventure you know nothing about against your will" thing is not Bond-esque, but how Grant carries himself and how he deals with and gets through every situation does seem like Bond to me.  The only downside is that Grant was pretty long in the tooth by this point so it's kind of weird seeing him along side a chick who could be his grand-daughter.

And I also love the ending, but my favourite scene is the one where he's getting out of a car on a busy city street and you can tell it's not a movie set because various people notice him and start staring, probably thinking, "Holy Shit!  Is that Cary Grant?"

My two personal favourite Grant movies are Bringing Up Baby and Arsenic and Old Lace, as I've always felt he was at his best in comedies.

Moderator · Posted
30 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

As a James Bond fan, I really like this movie a lot as it seems like a James Bond type of movie before James Bond movies even existed.  And yeah, I know the "whisked away into an adventure you know nothing about against your will" thing is not Bond-esque, but how Grant carries himself and how he deals with and gets through every situation does seem like Bond to me.  The only downside is that Grant was pretty long in the tooth by this point so it's kind of weird seeing him along side a chick who could be his grand-daughter.

And I also love the ending, but my favourite scene is the one where he's getting out of a car on a busy city street and you can tell it's not a movie set because various people notice him and start staring, probably thinking, "Holy Shit!  Is that Cary Grant?"

My two personal favourite Grant movies are Bringing Up Baby and Arsenic and Old Lace, as I've always felt he was at his best in comedies.

😂 they were only 20 years apart in age, his last wife was 33 years younger 😳 

Events Team · Posted
8 hours ago, Deadeye said:

Glad to see some classics on these polls.  Very good movie, but not my favorite Cary Grant film.  Favorite Grant film would be Charade.  I prefer His Girl Friday as well, but that is a different genre. 

Indeed, Grant is absolutely amazing in His Girl Friday! I haven't watched Charade yet, thanks for mentioning it as it makes for a good reminder.