IGNORED

Super Mario Bros Game & Watch 2020

I figured there should be a thread for this since it seemed like there was a decent amount of interest in the Direct thread.

Apparently Australia already had pre-orders up that sold out. Hopefully we can use this thread to also give each other a heads up for new stock update and pre-orders in the US. 

It officially launches 11/13/2020. I'm getting NES Classic flashbacks from this already lol

https://youtu.be/z4QQ1FhwUQc

Edited by RegularGuyGamer
  • Like 2

Here is the Best Buy pre order page where you can sign up for notifications on it:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-game-watch-super-mario-bros-/6428471.p?skuId=6428471

5 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I get the hype, but I am not on that train. Seems pretty pointless to me.

It’s basically just going to be reseller fodder. 

17 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I don't have any Game and Watches (lost my childhood one) but I want this and I have the Club Nintendo Ball one. I don't want the real deal, just the modern mass produced Funko Pop hypebeast ones. I'm such a poser 😞 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I'm on the fence.  I would really like to have it, but I've been spending so much money lately on other stuff (both gaming and non gaming) that I feel like this is a lot of money for something that I will never use and only look at.  I get the hype for sure, but right now, I'm leaning towards passing on it.  (at least that's one less person trying to get one).

I know I don't need it.  I can play Super Mario Bros. a dozen different ways already.  But it's so cool, and is by far the best 'version' of a Game and Watch ever.  Maybe I'm just a brainwashed Nintendo fan, but I want this on a shelf in my collection.  Not going to buy from a scalper though, if I miss out it'll suck, but so be it.

I have DK game and watch and DK Jr too. I'm a handheld guy so for me this is a no brainer buy. 

I can just see it now. PS5 and XBSX release with a line around the corner at all major retailers. But the people are in line for a Mario Machine that plays 3 games lol

Was there a price announced yet?

3 hours ago, Gloves said:

If it turns out they have a 1GB Flash ROM chip, and it's hacked within 2 weeks to load many NES games, would that change your mind?  I'm not expecting that but considering how the Minis all had more than enough memory for additional games, I'll not be surprised at all if this device because an official NIAP (NES In A Pocket!)

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, RH said:

If it turns out they have a 1GB Flash ROM chip, and it's hacked within 2 weeks to load many NES games, would that change your mind?  I'm not expecting that but considering how the Minis all had more than enough memory for additional games, I'll not be surprised at all if this device because an official NIAP (NES In A Pocket!)

Not at all, no. It's an ugly design. And how many little NES emulators do I really need?

Eh, to each there own.  I guess you also don't like the GBA Micro?  I don't mind small devices, personally, so the cool/fun factor can win me over.  Of course, price will be a big part of it.  If this thing is over $75, it'll be a definite pass.  Even below that, there's a scaling level of desirability.  If it's $50, I'm quite interested.  Less than that, it's a definite buy.  More than that and my interest personally tapers.

8 hours ago, Gloves said:

Yeah, it is pretty pointless, but I still want one pretty bad.  Pretty much everything I collect that's game related but not an actual game (like my Dragon Quest Sofubi's) is utterly pointless, but I still want what I want...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, it is pretty pointless, but I still want one pretty bad.  Pretty much everything I collect that's game related but not an actual game (like my Dragon Quest Sofubi's) is utterly pointless, but I still want what I want...

You know, how many of us can admit we've bought countless games, maaaaaaybe we'll play them but we just put them on our shelves.  So, asking "what's the point" can be turned around on most of us for collecting anyway.  Not all of us.  But most of us.

3 hours ago, RH said:

You know, how many of us can admit we've bought countless games, maaaaaaybe we'll play them but we just put them on our shelves.  So, asking "what's the point" can be turned around on most of us for collecting anyway.  Not all of us.  But most of us.

That's why I made a point to try and avoid doing that.  While this item isn't really for me, I fully understand why others might want it, even if it's just to sit on a shelf.  I understand the mentality, but sometimes you have to set some limits, and I think I'm drawing a line on this one.  

• Like 1

I'm in and the $50~ price tag isn't a problem.

I hadn't thought of that one point made yesterday, hackability.  If this thing can get busted and people can load more stuff onto it, I could see that be a selling point to some.  I wouldn't, but i just like stock stuff, yet I guess if I had more than one to tinker with maybe(?) considering it's a thin easy to pocket handheld from Nintendo and not some HK garbage you find floating about with questionable quality.  I just like the fact it is G&W in style as I had for a time probably 20 of them easily (just have SMB and Club Nintendo Ball now) and SMB1 is still a fun challenge to play today as it as over three decades ago so it's a good game to pull, chill and have fun with.  Ball w/mario (aka, Mario the Juggler the last G&W from 1991) is a solid little time waster too.