IGNORED

Games totally reskinned for release in another country

mbd39

Of course the most famous example is Doki Doki Panic being reskinned as SMB2 in the US.

Yo Noid on the NES was originally some ninja game.

NES Circus Caper was a reskin of a Japanese game that was based on a manga and had nothing to do with the circus.

Are there any good examples of American or UK games being reskinned for Japan? Or a Japanese or American game reskinned for the UK? I know Contra was changed to Probotector for the UK to make it less violent.

• Like 1

Chubby Cherub swapped the main character sprite. In Japan, it's based on the manga Obake no Q-Taro (Q-Taro the "ghost", although an obake isn't a ghost in the traditional sense.)

Zombie Nation was originally Abarenbou Tengu, with a tengu mask instead of a samurai head.

Snoopy's Silly Sports Spectacular is a reskin of Donald Duck famicom, which itself is a reskinned port of Alternative World Games. Reskinception.

Kid Klown is a reskin of Mickey Mouse III. In fact, a lot of the Crazy Castle series was reskinned depending on where it was released.

Edited by Tulpa

13 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Chubby Cherub swapped the main character sprite. In Japan, it's based on the manga Obake no Q-Taro (Q-Taro the "ghost", although an obake isn't a ghost in the traditional sense.)

Zombie Nation was originally Abarenbou Tengu, with a tengu mask instead of a samurai head.

Snoopy's Silly Sports Spectacular is a reskin of Donald Duck famicom, which itself is a reskinned port of Alternative World Games. Reskinception.

Kid Klown is a reskin of Mickey Mouse III. In fact, a lot of the Crazy Castle series was reskinned depending on where it was released.

Thank you. I forgot about Kid Klown originally being a Mickey Mouse game.

3 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

The Jetsons for SNES is another one

I just looked it up. It looks like the SNES Jetsons game came first and then was reskinned into a manga game for Japan. This is the kind of example that I was looking for. Thanks!

• Like 1

Not a reskin but in a rare case of US-to-Japan censorship, the cover to Avenging Spirit for the Game Boy was changed from a rampaging gangster to a friendly looking ghost.  Apparently, even though though the gangster looking on the cover wasn't directly shown killing someone, the cover was considered to violent for Japanese parents so they toned it down.  Other than probably translation changes, though, I think it was the same game.  Maybe they didn't even localize it.  I don't know, but I do know they decided to tone down the cover so it wouldn't seem so violent and mature.

Power Blade for the NES was originally Power Blazer, starring a wimpy Mega Man knock-off. Not only did the character get turned into a badass Schwarzenegger knock-off instead, but the gameplay was changed to make him significantly more powerful, the levels and bosses were redesigned, and a lot of quality of life improvements were added. 

9D349BDC-A89B-4F31-A832-D1CA97F4AB07.jpeg

Edited by dvertov