IGNORED

ebay. non payers.

docile tapeworm

ive heard if i cancel a sale it somehow affects my profile nagatively. is that true?

cause after like three days of not paying and no communication i dont even wan to deal with the person anymore. 

i used to just file a non payer claim but then you get people who decide to pay all a sudden and now im scared to send it to them because paranoid they have a mentality of this guy started a claim fuck him.

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

can i just select "buyer asked to cancel"? 

They will still have the option to leave you negative feedback.  I have had sellers use that reason on me - even though I have paid and not asked to cancel the sale.  Everytime (which is always) I have left negative feedback for that reason it has been  upheld.

And you are assuming the buyer is acting with ill intent - maybe something  serious is going on in their life that was unexpected.  I think a better course would be to try to communicate and if no response  in a reasonable amount of time then cancel the sale with that for reason - which you can use to hopefully have any possible negative feedback removed.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

They will still have the option to leave you negative feedback.  I have had sellers use that reason on me - even though I have paid and not asked to cancel the sale.  Everytime (which is always) I have left negative feedback for that reason it has been  upheld.

And you are assuming the buyer is acting with ill intent - maybe something  serious is going on in their life that was unexpected.  I think a better course would be to try to communicate and if no response  in a reasonable amount of time then cancel the sale with that for reason - which you can use to hopefully have any possible negative feedback removed.

thank you. 

You can cancel the sale but selecting "buyer asked to cancel" could get you in trouble, most likely result in negative feedback, and basically any other reason you give will affect your seller rating and it seems that buyer is able to leave feedback anyways.

I'd suggest you take the normal path of the non payer claim, buyer might fail to pay and you'd be off the hook, and if he pays I think you can still cancel and refund assuming it will result in negative feeedback and affect your seller rating, so only do it if your item worth more than the burden you'll have to deal with, especially troublesome is the seller rating since you have to keep monthly cancellations below %5 or something like that, if you're a low volume seller this will be very difficult to deal with.

• Thanks 1

Don't play games, just give them the minimum time and force them to pay or force them to take the non-pay bidder strike.  I give the minimum ebay forces which is 48 hours and then I open a case, and I don't even warn or message.  They know the rules, and if someone does write me with a reason, even if it comes off as flimsy, I'll give time as they're clearly stalling for some (valid to them) reason.  If I'm ignored, I then shut it down immediately as allowed, and they get a nice strike and even with 1 it's enough for a lot of listings to get ghosted on the person for 6 months as it is setup that way to punish wafflers and time wasters.

I've never had anyone get truly mad, a few annoyed, but in every case never got retaliation feedback.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Don't play games, just give them the minimum time and force them to pay or force them to take the non-pay bidder strike.  I give the minimum ebay forces which is 48 hours and then I open a case, and I don't even warn or message.  They know the rules, and if someone does write me with a reason, even if it comes off as flimsy, I'll give time as they're clearly stalling for some (valid to them) reason.  If I'm ignored, I then shut it down immediately as allowed, and they get a nice strike and even with 1 it's enough for a lot of listings to get ghosted on the person for 6 months as it is setup that way to punish wafflers and time wasters.

I've never had anyone get truly mad, a few annoyed, but in every case never got retaliation feedback.

this is what i usually do. but its such a pain. i cant stand it anymore. this process takes forever. first they have 48 hours. then once you open the unpaid item claim they have 5 days (i think thats right) to respond. so now im seven days out of being paid. then you have to relist only to deal with another non payer. i had to list a super nintendo three times (5 day auctions) before i got an actual paying buyer. so it took  36+ days to get paid due to non payers. ill give you 48 hours but if i dont hear anything in that time i should be able to cancel and move on without penalty. 

and the penalty for not paying is basically just create another account...

3 hours ago, Aguy said:

I had an auction end 36 hours ago and still haven't received payment. The fact the winning account name is theauctionisrigged-666 does not inspire confidence.

lol ebay is a joke. i think i should just step away from selling there for a while. i been buying/selling on there for 15+ years but the past couple years is just leaving me sour... buying too.. i havent won an auction without paying near bin prices in.... i cant even remember...

thats the other thing i had this item listed at $x bin and it sat for a month. the auction ended a dollar less lol smh...

11 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

lol ebay is a joke. i think i should just step away from selling there for a while. i been buying/selling on there for 15+ years but the past couple years is just leaving me sour... buying too.. i havent won an auction without paying near bin prices in.... i cant even remember...

thats the other thing i had this item listed at $x bin and it sat for a month. the auction ended a dollar less lol smh...

I stopped doing auctions altogether on there. Just puting a BIN w/ best offer.  The auctions just seem like more hassle and take longer.  Of course I end up having to do price drops to manage it too.  

eBay is annoying all around.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

this is what i usually do. but its such a pain. i cant stand it anymore. this process takes forever. first they have 48 hours. then once you open the unpaid item claim they have 5 days (i think thats right) to respond. so now im seven days out of being paid. then you have to relist only to deal with another non payer. i had to list a super nintendo three times (5 day auctions) before i got an actual paying buyer. so it took  36+ days to get paid due to non payers. ill give you 48 hours but if i dont hear anything in that time i should be able to cancel and move on without penalty. 

and the penalty for not paying is basically just create another account...

Well I don't care, I get a moron probably one out of every twenty sold give or take.  I do 5 day auctions and commonly I like them to end on Sunday 6PST-9EST as it's easy for people to be there, see it, pay, and hope it goes out Monday so they get it before the end of the week and it helped move things better a bit too.  The plus side, that leaves those other 2 days for me to scare people into paying to avoid the strike and in almost all cases it has worked.  If not, they lose it in 2 days and then I re-list it again with the rest.  Smooth and seamless without having to worry about it, leave it on them to cry over being a punk.

I'm not sure what setup you go with but having to wait over a month over non-payment, it doesn't make much sense.  And as for the SNES, sounds like bad luck, or maybe your auction wording and images caused an issue of insecurity with some uptight buyers which is possible.  I'd have to see your listing to even guess at that one to give ideas.

If you're fed up with that, go with here, other game forums on the web side, or use facebook marketplace as it's setup to ship, not just be for pickup.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I'm not sure what setup you go with but having to wait over a month over non-payment, it doesn't make much sense.  And as for the SNES, sounds like bad luck, or maybe your auction wording and images caused an issue of insecurity with some uptight buyers which is possible.  I'd have to see your listing to even guess at that one to give ideas.

i had to wait 36+ days to get paid on the snes because of back to back non payers that took the 48 hours and the 5 days given to respond to non payment claim (i dont think they cared about the strike) add the 5 days for each auction so thats 24 days right there. 5 day auction a third time puts me at 29 days so maybe my math was a lil off but still what a pain.

the listing was solid. the problem was the bids were outrageous. $150+ snes two controllers power supply av and smw

22 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I'm not sure why people always get so impatient with being paid, on eBay. Anything within a week I personally feel is fine, people have busy lives, work, etc and who knows what reason why they might not pay instantly.

It varies from seller to seller. Ebay wants transactions to go as fast as possible. I for one do things quickly. Get the transaction done and over with. 

On 8/18/2020 at 8:36 PM, fcgamer said:

I'm not sure why people always get so impatient with being paid, on eBay. Anything within a week I personally feel is fine, people have busy lives, work, etc and who knows what reason why they might not pay instantly.

I know I have limited time to go to the post office. I'm trying to ship everything one day a week and end my auctions accordingly. I hate making special trips because someone was late paying me. 

This isn’t a new thing..... auction listings always have a few Unscrupulous bidders, you just have to hope they don’t win and when they do 1/20 isn’t a bad ratio. I forget what the average return rate is in retail but it’s a part of business. Your best bet is to go 100% BIN with offer. I’ve personally never had a problem with those. 

Now as for you being tired of having to pay full price 🙂 that’s a part of the gig. I’ve bought a few things from you on eBay and somethings were priced higher on your BINs and I had to decide if it was worth it to me. Sellers are asking more and more because they can and it’s a two way street, you are not immune.

I’ve learned my lesson taking gambles thinking I could get it lower than a BIN. You have to adjust to the times and quitting shouldn’t be the option. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

I know I have limited time to go to the post office. I'm trying to ship everything one day a week and end my auctions accordingly. I hate making special trips because someone was late paying me. 

I can totally understand this situation; however, to add a bit more perspective for the other side:

Up until recently, I only paid for items using my laptop, not my phone. As I'd generally only load up my laptop once or twice a week, I'd only pay on those days, as I really hated loading up my laptop specifically just for the sole purpose of making a payment.

I know the above sounds ridiculous, but it's true, no lie. My laptop is several years old, quite slow by now, and rarely used. 

While I can totally understand the special trips to the post office thing, buyers also might have their own buying routines, just as some sellers have their selling routines. I think its a bit unfair to ask that of the buyer, just for personal convenience. If it's because you are living paycheck to paycheck and you need the funds to pay a bill or buy your kids dinner, then I am more sympathetic.

8 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I can totally understand this situation; however, to add a bit more perspective for the other side:

Up until recently, I only paid for items using my laptop, not my phone. As I'd generally only load up my laptop once or twice a week, I'd only pay on those days, as I really hated loading up my laptop specifically just for the sole purpose of making a payment.

I know the above sounds ridiculous, but it's true, no lie. My laptop is several years old, quite slow by now, and rarely used. 

While I can totally understand the special trips to the post office thing, buyers also might have their own buying routines, just as some sellers have their selling routines. I think its a bit unfair to ask that of the buyer, just for personal convenience. If it's because you are living paycheck to paycheck and you need the funds to pay a bill or buy your kids dinner, then I am more sympathetic.

What's the comparison to loading up a laptop vs dragging 3 kids to go to make special trip, sometimes in the pouring rain or snow? It can cost me upwards of an hour out of my day to make a special trip, and then if I don't do all this, I run the risk of negative or neutral feedback for late shipment. Or at least having to deal with an annoying buyer constantly messaging me about why the tracking info hasn't updated yet. With all due respect, not able to be being bothered to open a laptop just sounds lazy. If sellers need to be on top of their sales, buyers should be on top of their auctions they are bidding on.

This is why I seldom do auctions any more. Too much hassle with late payers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

What's the comparison to loading up a laptop vs dragging 3 kids to go to make special trip, sometimes in the pouring rain or snow? It can cost me upwards of an hour out of my day to make a special trip, and then if I don't do all this, I run the risk of negative or neutral feedback for late shipment. Or at least having to deal with an annoying buyer constantly messaging me about why the tracking info hasn't updated yet. With all due respect, not able to be being bothered to open a laptop just sounds lazy. If sellers need to be on top of their sales, buyers should be on top of their auctions they are bidding on.

Yup, it is being incredibly lazy, won't argue with you there. But sellers imo are also generally incredibly lazy, that's just part of the game.

Edit: Also, if a buyer pays within the timeframe that eBay allows, I don't think it's fair to call it a late payment, just because it doesn't fit into your personal time preference.

Edited by fcgamer

7 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Yup, it is being incredibly lazy, won't argue with you there. But sellers imo are also generally incredibly lazy, that's just part of the game.

Edit: Also, if a buyer pays within the timeframe that eBay allows, I don't think it's fair to call it a late payment, just because it doesn't fit into your personal time preference.

The timeframe is 48 hours. No reason to pay later than this, and anything sooner than this is not considered late. If I plan my week with a Wednesday post office run, I set my auctions to finish on Sunday. Too often ill have a late payer on an auction backing my week up, or worse, a non payer. I just stopped posting auctions and just list smaller bins that I can drop off in a blue box. No hassle there.

4 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

The timeframe is 48 hours. No reason to pay later than this, and anything sooner than this is not considered late. If I plan my week with a Wednesday post office run, I set my auctions to finish on Sunday. Too often ill have a late payer on an auction backing my week up, or worse, a non payer. I just stopped posting auctions and just list smaller bins that I can drop off in a blue box. No hassle there.

48 hours is a bit of a stretch, and eBay realises this, hence the extra four days once a claim is opened, for buyers to pay. 

As a classic example, business people. If I bid on an item that ends sometime while I'm in the middle of a long flight, chances are that I won't be able to pay, within reason, in 48 hours, as I personally place a higher priority on my own well-being than on meeting a rigid deadline, just so the other party can make it to the post office 😂

23 minutes ago, fcgamer said:
23 minutes ago, fcgamer said:
25 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

48 hours is a bit of a stretch, and eBay realises this, hence the extra four days once a claim is opened, for buyers to pay. 

As a classic example, business people. If I bid on an item that ends sometime while I'm in the middle of a long flight, chances are that I won't be able to pay, within reason, in 48 hours, as I personally place a higher priority on my own well-being than on meeting a rigid deadline, just so the other party can make it to the post office 😂

Well, that attitude is why I don't post auctions any more. I wish more buyers shared your laid back attitude about receiving their orders as you do about paying for them.

7 hours ago, fcgamer said:

So you're too busy to pay for items, yet not too busy to spend time searching ebay, finding the ones you want, and determining a max bid?  

See the thing is, most collectors actually look forward to receiving the items they bid on.  So, they generally want to pay in a reasonable time frame so they get their item shipped sooner.  

I've dealt with thousands of buyers and sellers over the years and if you don't pay within a day or two you're in the less than 1% club.  And in that less than 1% club, these people also tend to be the one that play "shenanigans" as I call it.  Whether that's doing returns, buyers remorse, asking a million questions, trying to renegotiate after the sale, etc.

And all of those 1% people get blocked from me after the sale is complete.  I will GLADLY take less money from a no hassle buyer than deal with one who has issues.  You can justify it youself however you like, but sellers do not want to deal with these people period. 

• Like 2