IGNORED

American Politics / Current Events Thread

CodysGameRoom

No pardon should be given.

On 1/17/2021 at 12:13 AM, Tulpa said:

Definitely deserves no pardon she wasn't even "taken away" by the mob mentality wich some do but was actively condoning the actions by how she posed with that window and talked in the aftermath. She says it outright that she feels in her heart that she did nothing wrong so she only feels bad about being punished basically.

I've been seeing a lot of experts predicting was Sleepy Joe has instore for Taiwan-US relations. Honestly not liking it, I'll give him a pass regarding human rights issues, and believe that Biden reverting back to less antagonist actions on China is solely because of $$$ interests. Honestly, it's criminal the way every country kowtows to China, when Taiwan is a democracy.

I don’t understand the train of thought where being antagonistic to China is a positive thing.  Certainly you could try to influence them in a better direction on human rights in whatever way is possible, but I don’t see that as being advanced in any way by being overtly antagonistic to them. They are, like them or not, major trading partners for the US.    

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

I don’t understand the train of thought where being antagonistic to China is a positive thing.  Certainly you could try to influence them in a better direction on human rights in whatever way is possible, but I don’t see that as being advanced in any way by being overtly antagonistic to them. They are, like them or not, major trading partners for the US.    

Influencing China "in a better direction" on anything is guaranteed to be failure. This is not true for just the USA, but for most of the world. China cares about power, and one of their goals is to topple the USA. Not just surpass the USA as an economic powerhouse, but to absolutely topple the USA and become the world's dominant power. China is a threat to Western democracy, ideals, and security. It is time everyone knew that.

Appeasement never works.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/2020/06/26/reader-mail/appeasing-china-doesnt-work-no-longer-tried/

India’s appeasement of China has indeed failed and so will the West’s and Japan’s. Appeasements always embolden the adversary. China needs to be countered militarily and socio-economically. Southeast Asia needs its own version of NATO to counter Chinese aggression. India, Japan, Taiwan, Australia, Vietnam and Philippines should realize that divided we fall.

• Like 2

Some paranoid Cold War stuff right there.  It doesn’t make any sense for them to want to topple western democracy.  Certainly they would like to be calling the shots but casting their intentions as some great amorphous existential threat is absolutely silly.  They are a nation looking to protect their self interest just the same as the US.  Are they willing to trample on others to get what they want? Sure.  But what nation with the strength to do so doesn’t.   Certainly not us.  Just ask the people of Iraq.  They’re Chinese people not Skeletor.  Ooh I’ll get you next time He-Man!

Edit: just for fun..,

5AE1C965-AD68-4427-805F-293FF27BAF28.jpeg

Edited by Hammerfestus

5 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Some paranoid Cold War stuff right there.  It doesn’t make any sense for them to want to topple western democracy.  Certainly they would like to be calling the shots but casting their intentions as some great amorphous existential threat is absolutely silly.  They are a nation looking to protect their self interest just the same as the US.  Are they willing to trample on others to get what they want? Sure.  But what nation with the strength to do so doesn’t.   Certainly not us.  Just ask the people of Iraq.  They’re Chinese people not Skeletor.  Ooh I’ll get you next time He-Man!

Yes, it's called the Second Cold War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Cold_War

Closing your eyes and imagining that China is "not so bad" and "not really a threat" does not make it any less of a threat. Human Rights Watch notes that China is a global threat.

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2020/country-chapters/global#

China’s government sees human rights as an existential threat. Its reaction could pose an existential threat to the rights of people worldwide.

Numerous national intelligence experts across many countries discuss how China is greatest threat to democracy and freedom

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/dec/03/china-beijing-america-democracy-freedom

“The intelligence is clear: Beijing intends to dominate the US and the rest of the planet economically, militarily and technologically,”

But, according to you all these experts and scholars are "paranoid" eh? Here, listen to Melissa Chen

• Like 1

China is the greatest threat to democracy and freedom? We are in the U.S we stomp on democracy and freedom all over the world.

Not to mention that we/the U.S just went through an election were one party tried to over throw the election by: - kicking hundreds of thousands of people off of the voter roles, - trying to stop the vote count, - tried to overturn the election in the courts, - sitting Senators are destabalizing the population by promoting conspiracy theories, - and the outgoing president told his followers to march on the capitol.

I think we have plenty of concerns about democracy and freedom here without worrying about China.

59 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Yes, it's called the Second Cold War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Cold_War

Closing your eyes and imagining that China is "not so bad" and "not really a threat" does not make it any less of a threat. Human Rights Watch notes that China is a global threat.

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2020/country-chapters/global#

China’s government sees human rights as an existential threat. Its reaction could pose an existential threat to the rights of people worldwide.

Numerous national intelligence experts across many countries discuss how China is greatest threat to democracy and freedom

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/dec/03/china-beijing-america-democracy-freedom

“The intelligence is clear: Beijing intends to dominate the US and the rest of the planet economically, militarily and technologically,”

But, according to you all these experts and scholars are "paranoid" eh? Here, listen to Melissa Chen

First nobody said to close our eyes and pretend their abuses are not happening.  What I said was that maybe stomping around scowling and impotently waving our metaphorical old shriveled penises at them is not the best foreign policy option in a delicate and difficult situation.  Certainly, there is a threat to American hegemony but I’m pretty sure that ship is sailing of our own volition.  I think you’re confusing the USA with some sort of greater Western society.  Also, you mention numerous national intelligence experts and your links are a Trump appointee and a Singaporean journalist/activist?  Hardly strong support for your position.  Sad.

Editorials Team · Posted
12 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I've been seeing a lot of experts predicting was Sleepy Joe has instore for Taiwan-US relations. Honestly not liking it, I'll give him a pass regarding human rights issues, and believe that Biden reverting back to less antagonist actions on China is solely because of $$$ interests. Honestly, it's criminal the way every country kowtows to China, when Taiwan is a democracy.

Donald Trump tweets are not a news source

Don't worry though.  The orange man cannot lie to you anymore.

1 hour ago, Hammerfestus said:

First nobody said to close our eyes and pretend their abuses are not happening.  What I said was that maybe stomping around scowling and impotently waving our metaphorical old shriveled penises at them is not the best foreign policy option in a delicate and difficult situation.  Certainly, there is a threat to American hegemony but I’m pretty sure that ship is sailing of our own volition.  I think you’re confusing the USA with some sort of greater Western society.  Also, you mention numerous national intelligence experts and your links are a Trump appointee and a Singaporean journalist/activist?  Hardly strong support for your position.  Sad.

I have to say what I think is sad is that you 1)think this is about American hegemony when experts are saying otherwise 2)you ignore groups such as Human Rights Watch that discuss what a danger China is to democracy 3)you belittle experts such as Melissa Chen and 4)you show no support for your position rather just state your own opinions. So be it. We're obviously not going to have a real discussion here (you can usually tell that is the case when someone brings up either Nazis or penises because they have to have hyperbole). 

Edited by avatar!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

That doesn't make any sense. We're the main buyer of their stuff. They don't want us to go anywhere.

China certainly wants us to continue to purchase their stuff, they just want the USA to become powerless. Western diplomacy (not just the USA) argued that China and its people would adopt Western values over time if the West opened its doors to China. That, is simply not true and is a failure. I'm not saying there are simple ways to "fix" this situation, but yes, we are certainly in a second Cold War.

• Like 1

Didn’t know penises came up that often 😂 Certainly is a nice easy way to dismiss the point I was making without actually rebutting it though.  

I did ignore the hrw link because I’m not going to read a 45 page document for an argument on VGS to find the bit where they may or may not call them a threat to western democracy when the damn thing is titled China’s Threat to Human Rights, which we’ve already established is an issue.  
And what makes Melissa Chen an expert on this subject?  The subject of the US’s aggressive policy stance towards one of our biggest trading partners.  No one’s arguing that Xi is a good guy or that the PRC isn’t committing human rights atrocities.  The question I posed was whether taunting them solves anything for anyone.