IGNORED

Cinema 11s on a scale of 1-10

Tabonga

9 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I'm tempted to give The Irishman an 11.   Even with it being 3 and a half hours long I've already watched it several times.

Heh -three and 1/2 hours is nothing.

This odd piece of cinema runs 8 1/2 hours - what you see is about all you get (from what I have heard).

Editorials Team · Posted
30 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Probably a lot of people sad TWBB didn't get best picture in 2007. Both movies are sooooo good though. (Edit: Well this article was before that so I dunno)

The Academy can rectify things in 20 years by giving PTA a lifetime award

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted
13 hours ago, spacepup said:

I love your list @Link !  I really enjoy some of those.

Bedknobs and Broomsticks is one of my favorite older Disney movies, and most people I know haven't seen it.

As kids, my siblings and I probably watched this movie a dozen times!  I thought Angela Lansbury did well in it - and I always personally liked it way more than Mary Poppins.

I've seen most of the others on your list - but maybe a handful - I'll have to check em out!

That’s a great one, one of my favorites along with Darby O’Gill and the Little People, Swiss Family Robinson, and The Apple Dumpling gang. 

Moderator · Posted
14 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

I always liked The Light in the Forest (1958) - and of course Treasure Island (1950).

Not sure I’ve seen The Light in the Forest. I’ve been going through the old ones on Disney Plus lately that I’ve never seen, will look for that one. 

7 minutes ago, doner24 said:

Not sure I’ve seen The Light in the Forest. I’ve been going through the old ones on Disney Plus lately that I’ve never seen, will look for that one. 

It is probably the most obscure of the live action Disney films - I don't know if it ever made it to DVD - I have a laserdisc of it.

Moderator · Posted

This is tough for me as I’ve watched TONS of movies, but here’s a bunch I would consider 11/10’s

City Lights

Casablanca

The Philadelphia Story

North by Northwest

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest

Singin in the Rain

The Searchers

Blade Runner

Seven Samurai

City of God

A Clockwork Orange

Slap Shot

500 Days of Summer

Lost in Translation

Princess Bride

Toy Story 3

The Goonies

Home Alone/Home Alone 2

• Like 1

I'm a terrible judge at these kinds of things. The kinds of movies I love are the kind everyone else seems to hate. But here goes...

Toy Story

Back to the Future

Jurassic Park

E.T.

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring

Office Space

Forrest Gump

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Se7en

Spider-Man (2002)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AstralSoul64 said:

I'm a terrible judge at these kinds of things. The kinds of movies I love are the kind everyone else seems to hate. But here goes

Fortunately there is no right or wrong here.  And it would be a pretty boring world if we all liked exactly the same thing(s).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AstralSoul64 said:

The kinds of movies I love are the kind everyone else seems to hate.

🤔  Don’t knock your taste. Those were mostly very successful and popular movies (Office Space and Eternal Sunshine are a little more niche), so unless you mean from some snobby critical standpoint I would say everyone loves them. 

Forrest Gump and Jurassic Park dominated headlines for months. Toy Story was groundbreaking as the first all-CGI feature. Spider-Man was the first “Marvel movie” (successful) and revolutionized the superhero genre.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AstralSoul64 said:

I'm a terrible judge at these kinds of things. The kinds of movies I love are the kind everyone else seems to hate. But here goes...

Toy Story

Back to the Future

Jurassic Park

E.T.

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring

Office Space

Forrest Gump

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Se7en

Spider-Man (2002)

You listed a bunch of really popular movies.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Link said:

🤔  Don’t knock your taste. Those were mostly very successful and popular movies (Office Space and Eternal Sunshine are a little more niche), so unless you mean from some snobby critical standpoint I would say everyone loves them. 

Forrest Gump and Jurassic Park dominated headlines for months. Toy Story was groundbreaking as the first all-CGI feature. Spider-Man was the first “Marvel movie” (successful) and revolutionized the superhero genre.

True but I was trying to think of movies I objectively think are perfect not necessarily my favorite movies of all time. Also popular doesn't necessarily mean good. But yeah. If I listed movies I love the most I think most people would disagree movies like Billy Madison and The Cable Guy are 11/10 movies lol. 

32 minutes ago, AstralSoul64 said:

True but I was trying to think of movies I objectively think are perfect not necessarily my favorite movies of all time. Also popular doesn't necessarily mean good. But yeah. If I listed movies I love the most I think most people would disagree movies like Billy Madison and The Cable Guy are 11/10 movies lol. 

I think you should list the movies that are elevens for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Californication said:

I think you should list the movies that are elevens for you.

I agree that is the point of this thread.

3 hours ago, AstralSoul64 said:

Also popular doesn't necessarily mean good.

True.

But I think it is more applicable to music than it is to movies. I feel like I can enjoy a movie or TV show when I dislike an actor, more than I can enjoy a song when I dislike the musician. Because music is a personal expression, while acting is often an expression of someone else. [/tangent] 

Like @Californication said, talk about the movies that are the best to you personally. It shouldn’t be a guessing game. If we want the so-called “objective” best, we can look at and discuss the top end of numerous ‘100 best films ever’ from AFI, BBC, iMDB, ETC.