IGNORED

PS5

So did Santa (or one of his helpers) bring anyone here a shiny new PS5? 🙂  With the disc drive of course!!

TBH the original Xbox equipped to do MAME/arcade games (I got easily a few thousand at least on it) I got for myself (grandma helped pay for half of it though) is a lot more exciting as I've never owned any sort of Xbox before and I've had my eye on something like that for the past few years at least.  Plus I finally figured out how to have the internal hard drive equipped PS2 play PS2 isos 🙂

Oh don't misunderstand me I do want a PS5 (and Switch) at some point but the two main games I want for the PS5 (Dragon Quest 12 and Final Fantasy 16) won't be out for at least another year so, *shrugs* what can ya do?

• 9 months later...
On 10/24/2022 at 2:15 PM, avatar! said:

For anyone still looking for a PS5, you can request that amazon send you an invitation to order the system.

Just be real careful it's "Ships from Amazon" and "Sold by Amazon"!

And it's a year later and STILL no new info on Dragon Quest 12!  At least we got this about Final Fantasy 16...

Edited by Estil

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are New PS5s easy to come by yet?  I'm not in the market for one, but every time my son and I are near a Best Buy, or we drop into Wal-Mart, we walk through the game section.  Other than the display, I've never seen one on a shelf, but again, I'm not watching inventory like a hawk.

Do these things still sell like the Wii did for the first year it came out?

Edited by RH

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, RH said:

Are New PS5s easy to come by yet?  I'm not in the market for one, but every time my son and I are near a Best Buy, or we drop into Wal-Mart, we walk through the game section.  Other than the display, I've never seen one on a shelf, but again, I'm not watching inventory like hot cakes.

Do these things still sell like the Wii did for the first year it came out?

It has been relatively easy to get them for a while now.  You can easily get them online right now, or in store in many places.

Oh, and to stay on topic, I was modestly interested in this system and as dumb as this may sound, the fact that it doesn't come in black has kept me from getting one (and after paying the price tag for it,  I do not want to have to pay more money for a new shell just to get it in the most basic color that exists.)

1 minute ago, spacepup said:

It has been relatively easy to get them for a while now.  You can easily get them online right now, or in store in many places.

Ah, well that might be it then.  I know we've had the chip shortage and that's affected the market but after checking probably 50(?) times and never, ever seeing one in stock, I've really been wondering how many of these things are being sold. But I guess, maybe Sony has pivoted to push most of their inventory through Amazon, or wherever else you might be able to reserve a unit and I think that kind of makes sense.

Again, I'm not in the market, but if I were to be in the next year or so, where is the best place to find one?  Specifically a unit with a disc drive?

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, RH said:

Again, I'm not in the market, but if I were to be in the next year or so, where is the best place to find one?  Specifically a unit with a disc drive?

When I say relatively easy, I mean easy.  You can get direct from PlayStation, from Amazon, BestBuy, Wal-Mart, GameStop, Target, all sorts of places.  Stock has been plentiful for a while now.  I checked just a few of those and they are in stock online right now.  

It is nothing like it was for the first year.  You shouldn't have any problem buying one.

21 minutes ago, spacepup said:

When I say relatively easy, I mean easy.  You can get direct from PlayStation, from Amazon, BestBuy, Wal-Mart, GameStop, Target, all sorts of places.  Stock has been plentiful for a while now.  I checked just a few of those and they are in stock online right now.  

It is nothing like it was for the first year.  You shouldn't have any problem buying one.

Yeah I think anytime I go to Best Buy or target they are always in stock now. Usually the one with the disk drive because it’s the more expensive option and people usually go with the digital only. 

3 hours ago, koifish said:

Is that part of the shell cases they have been promising for a while now? I know there are 3rd party ones, and I recall seeing some galaxy-themed color announcements, but not much else.

Yeah, this is officially from Sony, so it's part of the new shell casings. Not going to lie, it is definitely preferable over just a white...

Colors Satisfying GIF

9 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Yeah I think anytime I go to Best Buy or target they are always in stock now. Usually the one with the disk drive because it’s the more expensive option and people usually go with the digital only. 

Well that's beyond stupid...don't people like to collect video games anymore?  I mean it's supposed to be a hobby, like baseball cards or coins or stamps and such right?

11 hours ago, RH said:

Are New PS5s easy to come by yet?  I'm not in the market for one, but every time my son and I are near a Best Buy, or we drop into Wal-Mart, we walk through the game section.  Other than the display, I've never seen one on a shelf, but again, I'm not watching inventory like a hawk.

Pretty much every store around here have them in stock.

I'd wait until November though, when the new model drops. It's not as much smaller as I'd hope, but every little thing counts. If the new form factor doesn't matter to you, the old model will probably drop in price to help clear inventory.

37 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Come on? 😮 

What I mean is that these are hobbies where you try to make as nice a collection as you can.  In the case of video games, it doesn't really count if they're just digital downloads.  Just like how having pictures of baseball cards saved on my computer doesn't count for anything.

Have to agree with Sumez. We’re in the minority with collecting games. The majority don’t care and just want the fastest and easiest way to play games.

People don’t see them as baseball cards or collectibles they just see them as something to do to have fun as a hobby. I don’t know anyone in my life that collects games but I know a lot of people that play games as a hobby.

I don't think I even know other "collectors" who see them as baseball cards, ie. just a thing to collect for the sake of the collection.

I mean I get it, I also don't understand why people are satisfied with digital releases of games they could actually own a tangible copy of, but regardless that's the vast majority of the target audience for video games. It's why companies like Limited Run Games are running a niche operation, and many games only seeing physical releases through channels such as it.

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted

I don't think it's stupid at all.  In fact, I think it's great that both options are offered.  People who don't wanna deal with physical copies, can get the digital option for cheaper.  And people who want to collect physical, can pay a little more and have that option.  As consumers we have the option to choose which method works best for our own situation.  I'll never understand why people will judge one or the other for their choice in this scenario.

I have a lot of physical games, but I completely understand digital gaming, and there are many advantages to it.  For switch, more of my games are actually from the e-shop, than from physical switch carts.  I still buy the physical carts for my favorite games, but then there is a huge swath of other games that I have no problem buying digitally, and it's nice to have a variety of options to play right on the device.  I'm getting on a plane tomorrow, and I'll have all of those available instantly without needing to bring a bunch of carts.

I love physical collecting as much as the next person, but first and foremost, I love video games.  How people choose to enjoy them, is a personal choice and there is no right or wrong.

Sony has been a lot better than Nintendo regarding allowing use of your digitally purchased games on later consoles.  I have games I bought on PSN many many years ago on older consoles, that I can still play on my PS5.  Nintendo doesn't have the best track record in that area, for example.  

• Agree 1

I never made the comparison before today, but now that you all have me thinking about it, if I was going to compare video game collecting to baseball card collecting, I would make the comparison to digital video games.  I can actually see the next generation of kids collecting digital games and instead of "putting them on the shelf," they enjoy their games by looking at the cover art on the menu screen on their TV.  If you think about the way the Switch shows the list of games if you go to "All Software," that is way more comparable to looking at baseball cards, than a shelf of physical games. 

19 hours ago, avatar! said:

Yeah, this is officially from Sony, so it's part of the new shell casings. Not going to lie, it is definitely preferable over just a white...

Colors Satisfying GIF

this is a nice visual trick. And yeah on the shells. White consoles are like, soooooo 2006. 😛 I am surprised they didn't announce red and blue on bastille day.

10 hours ago, Estil said:

I bet Kentucky Wesleyan students would love these!

Washington students too, maybe it will assuage them over their collapsing sports conference.

10 hours ago, Estil said:

Well that's beyond stupid...don't people like to collect video games anymore?  I mean it's supposed to be a hobby, like baseball cards or coins or stamps and such right?

I agree that it's foolish and shortsighted, but maybe that's the target audience of the cheaper model, folks who don't really care about going back someday to play games, and who just want to play current and move on. I might even dare to argue that this group has historically made up a majority of playstation owners, or perhaps most game players in general. Not everybody is funny people like us who obsess over collecting and playing 40 year old electronic toys (even if we know it's obviously their loss 🙂 ) Oh, and physical copies are a nightmare when you move house. I basically got rid of everything and bought flashcarts/ODEs/HDDs/etc because I was tired of moving box after box of plastic cases around. That is probably a smaller use case though.

The place you get screwed later is when the servers shut down and you can't actually play any of the games you "own". Yet I find some people I meet really have no problem with this; It seems to me that only enthusiasts really care about being able to access games years or decades later.

• Like 1