IGNORED

Streets of Rage 4 is out

trj22487

Beware the taser cops.

I'm liking what I've played so far.  Cherry's fun to play as, reminds me of Randy from Guardian Heroes with her aerial head stomp move and her blitz attack is kind of like his "uppercut" move with the twirling staff.  I wasn't a fan of the graphic style initially but it's grown on me.    Seems like a worthy entry into the series.

Pretty much the Sonic Mania treatment for Streets of Rage fans.  Gameplay sticks very close to old school with a couple modern day improvements, some of the moves give it a big of a fighting game feel.

I really dig it.  Cherry and her pogo aerial attacks and combos is a lot of fun to use.  She is pretty much this game's Skate.

I have around 15 hours in. My first run I was using Floyd and not loving it. I've been trying others and having a better time. I went back to Floyd after learning the game and it's mechanics (abilities, enemy AI, how to combo better), and had a way better time with him too. I'm not super familiar with the older games, but this is a competent beat-em-up at the core, and it's doing a good job at keeping my attention. Co-op is better, of course.

This game uses five buttons. There is a three button layout though? Kind of strange for picking up items to have its own button.

Am I really the only one that chose Axel for the first play?

I think this game is great! Much better with the controller in your hands, I got over the graphical style right away, it's pretty damn good. Although the combat gives me more of a Comix Zone feel, which I also love

Edited by trj22487
  • Like 1

Ive played, and that's my first impressions:

Good: very beautiful game, with several modes, characters, etc. 

Not so good: gameplay is very fast, its feel is far different from the original SoR games. Not bad, just a bit too "modern" for me. The new ost is nothing special. 

The game's price is around 16.50 usd here in Brazil, and not very worthy it imo. 

My little dog Pockets.

Those guys are pretty annoying.  I want to say the charge up move or grabbing them is the best way to deal with em, not really sure.  The charge move works well on the knife Galsias and takes priority over them ( at least for Cherry ).

On 5/1/2020 at 7:00 PM, cartman said:

I don't like that dude walking around with the hands in the pockets noone would ever be in a fight moving like that. Even for a game it's too unrealistic.

I haven’t yet played the game, but I think that character plays homage to those movie characters who shows off, fighting with their hands behind their back. Instead of hands behind the back, it’s now in their pockets. 

Also, you’re doing special moves with dragon punches and fire coming out of your hands. Are you seriously looking for realism? 😃

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GPX said:

I haven’t yet played the game, but I think that character plays homage to those movie characters who shows off, fighting with their hands behind their back. Instead of hands behind the back, it’s now in their pockets. 

Also, you’re doing special moves with dragon punches and fire coming out of your hands. Are you seriously looking for realism? 😃

I haven't seen those movies really. But those special moves someone is atleast punching you know so it's conceivable.

Btw, that "hands in the pockets" guy is no ordinary enemy. He blocks easily some of your attacks, like flying kicks, etc. He's annoying. 

Speaking of annoying, the same might be said about those big policemen, who just run at you, get you on the ground and give you a taser hit. Idk, I played on normal level, maybe on easy it's not tough. 

Edited by DreamCuPS

9 minutes ago, DreamCuPS said:

Btw, that "hands in the pockets" guy is no ordinary enemy. He blocks easily some of your attacks, like flying kicks, etc. He's annoying. 

Speaking of annoying, the same might be said about those big policemen, who just run at you, get you on the ground and give you a taser hit. Idk, I played on normal level, maybe on easy it's not tough. 

How many diffuculties are there? I never play on normal level but on the hardest this game might enforce those life draining special moves wich is a game system i dislike. They did that on SoR2 when i played hardest with Blaze the bosses countered everything that wasn't the special move both the wrestler and fat boxer, it was really annoying.

5 minutes ago, cartman said:

How many diffuculties are there? I never play on normal level but on the hardest this game might enforce those life draining special moves wich is a game system i dislike. They did that on SoR2 when i played hardest with Blaze the bosses countered everything that wasn't the special move both the wrestler and fat boxer, it was really annoying.

|
|
There's 5 (Easy to Mania). I tend to start on normal, than I move on to the harder ones. But this games' stages seem to be quite short, anyway. 

Edited by DreamCuPS

7 hours ago, cartman said:

5 difficulties.  12 stages.  Stages are 5-15 each.  Game over means restarting the stage and not the entire game (unless you are in arcade mode.). Retrying a stage also allows assists giving you extra lives and supers in exchange for reduced score.

Most enemies have more than one hard counter so you don’t have to spam specials.  But I’d encourage not to sleep on the specials just because they drain energy, there is a rally mechanic where using a special makes part of your heath bar green and you can reclaim some of the spent health by landing more attacks.  If you get hit all that health is gone though, so it makes specials a more risk/reward option.

Due to my current living conditions, I won't be able to play this game for a while. However, I did buy the physical version, so I'll have that waiting for me. 😊

The criticisms I hear are mostly nitpicks, from unbalanced difficulty spikes to not being able to pick up a health item while holding a weapon in the legacy control opinion. 

However, that doesn't seem to bother me. Blaze looks like a damn SNACK, and I wouldn't want it any other way. 

11 hours ago, fox said:

5 difficulties.  12 stages.  Stages are 5-15 each.  Game over means restarting the stage and not the entire game (unless you are in arcade mode.). Retrying a stage also allows assists giving you extra lives and supers in exchange for reduced score.

Most enemies have more than one hard counter so you don’t have to spam specials.  But I’d encourage not to sleep on the specials just because they drain energy, there is a rally mechanic where using a special makes part of your heath bar green and you can reclaim some of the spent health by landing more attacks.  If you get hit all that health is gone though, so it makes specials a more risk/reward option.

So it's like SOR 2 then with the difficulties. Good that they're retaining the old games features and 12 stages is quite a lot for this type of game.

I don't like the health loss because it prevents a perfect no-damage run. It's also a lazy way of fighting because the enemies can't pose a threat during that window of time.