IGNORED

Streets of Rage 4 is out

trj22487

Have yet to play SOR4, but seeing the demos on Youtube has got me wanting to give it a serious try. This thread has brought back some good nostalgia for me. I went through my old pic collections from another forum and found this, thought some of you guys might appreciate:IMG_1874.thumb.JPG.f5bff08bac3bd31ae9ba59bb71dee208.JPG

Arguably 2 of Sega's best trilogies.

• Like 4

Play-Asia has a special edition up for pre-order, it comes with a bigger box, a poster, and a soundtrack. But the biggest draw for me is the fact that it’s set to ship July 30th. Think this is before or about on par with LRG’s estimated shipping time? I haven’t preordered from them in a long time.

Looks like Streets of Rage 4 is getting a standard physical release after all. Listings have shown up on Amazon and GameStop’s websites.

I’m kind of relieved because I wanted the physical copy but I didn’t want to drop the money for it right now. A standard retail release allows me to wait instead of going with the limited prints.

For anyone on the fence with an Xbox...

You can sign up for a $1 one month trial of Game Pass and it is included for free.  That's what I did.  Play it for a dollar then cancel the subscription at end of month.  Really cheap alternative..

It's worth it too, plays just as good as SOR2. 

SoR4 has gotten pretty glowing reviews thus far.

Makes me wonder if Sega will be smart and commission other sequels. My list includes

1)Shining Force - at the very least, Sega should release the second and third volumes of Shining Force III to North America

2)Golden Axe - time for part four

3)Phantasy Star V - none of this online gunk! I want the real deal. Also, would love a remake of the original series

4)Landstalker/Dark Savior - remake them, give us a sequel, do both!

7 hours ago, jonebone said:

For anyone on the fence with an Xbox...

You can sign up for a $1 one month trial of Game Pass and it is included for free.  That's what I did.  Play it for a dollar then cancel the subscription at end of month.  Really cheap alternative..

It's worth it too, plays just as good as SOR2. 

Would you buy the game, outright, or is it worth the one month only. 

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

Makes me wonder if Sega will be smart and commission other sequels. My list includes

1)Shining Force - at the very least, Sega should release the second and third volumes of Shining Force III to North America

3)Phantasy Star V - none of this online gunk! I want the real deal. Also, would love a remake of the original series

Show me Shinobi 4!

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

Sega sent out a questionaire around the time they announced Panzer Dragoon and SOR4 asking people which games Sega games people play and (paraphrasing) would like to have new games of.

32 minutes ago, Californication said:

Sega sent out a questionaire around the time they announced Panzer Dragoon and SOR4 asking people which games Sega games people play and (paraphrasing) would like to have new games of.

Totally missed that. Do you have a link to the questionnaire? 

Apparently SoR4 has sold over 100k on Steam in the first week.  That seems pretty good to me ( granted idk much about production costs ) and I'd have to imagine it's done well on PS4/Switch as well, someone mentioned it was #2 on the eShop.  Not sure how Game Pass pays out, but it's on there.  Don't want to jinx it, but DLC is looking like a done deal.

As for other forgotten (by) Sega franchises, Shinobi 4 would be cool to see and it wouldn't be that tough to tweak 3's gameplay a bit and get something really great.  IIRC though the devs of SoR4 mentioned Golden Axe as another potential series they would like to try to tackle. 

On 5/8/2020 at 6:43 PM, avatar! said:

Altough they insist on making these comic graphics wich i'd rather do without. Golden Axe in particular already is distinct and there's no need to modify that. They should pick up right at Revenge of Death Adder just like the NES Mega Man continued on with 5 sequels looking the same. Also i'd very much prefer if they kept previous characters i don't know why they neccessarily have to replace someone with his brother or uncle's best friend it doesn't add any value just detracts from the series as a cohesive experience. There's no need to write into the plot that X decades passed since last they are taking it upon themselves to pull this shit.

Well, I agree they should not use the cartoon style for every game, since different games will look better with other styles. Anyway, they still could do an Alex Kidd game with this approach, I think. For games like Shinobi, Golden Axe or Altered Beast, they could just update their original styles,  without really changing it. 

On 5/8/2020 at 12:43 PM, avatar! said:

I would only want Phantasy Star V if they brought back the original creators.

I didn't notice until last night that you can go into the audio options and switch the soundtrack to the 'Retro Soundtrack' 16-bit Genesis style music and sound effects. Pretty awesome. I personally like the new soundtrack though, but I listen to a lot of synthwave and lo-fi music so that might be why.

Heads up if you're playing this on Xbone, apparently it's an earlier version missing some important stuff ( I saw a review mention chaining combos is more difficult since the counter doesn't slow down between sections and you can't hit certain objects to add to the counter, also missing some audio/music transitions, among other things ).

EDIT:  Has been patched/updated now, all versions should be close to the same.

Edited by Redmond

• 2 weeks later...