IGNORED

Best Characters from TV Shows

LucasWeatherby

Ok guys, so in my spare quarantine time, I've been binge watching Step By Step (no judgement please. I was watching an AVGN episode and they mentioned it...I could just hear the song in my head... yadda yadda yadda I got sucked in).

After 2 seasons, my decision is that Cody is by far the best character(Yes that's just my opinion, which we can also debate, but not my point in this topic).

My question is, who is the best character in TV shows? You know, the character that really makes the show?

My quick assertion is:

Barney- How I Met Your Mother

Hyde - That 70s Show

Cody-Step By Step

After I decided to post this topic, I also started thinking, what if you could make a "super-show" with the 6 best characters from any shows? What would those episodes be like? Like if Barney and Hyde got into some sort of discourse?

Editorials Team · Posted

Simpsons - Homer ("Lousy traumatic childhood")

Seinfeld - George ("I think it moved")

30 Rock - Jenna ("You know what they say.  If you can't handle the heat, get off of Mickey Rourke's sex grill")

Parks and Rec - Jean Ralphio ("I made my money the old-fashioned way.  I got run over by a Lexus")

Arrested Development - Tobias (“Oh man, I can just taste those meaty leading man parts in my mouth.”)

Flight of the Conchords - Jemaine ("Yeah")

Cheers - Cliff

Frasier - Niles

The Office - Michael ("Sometimes I start a sentence and I don't even know where it's going")

Party Down - Roman ("Fantasy is bullshit")

South Park - Randy ("Is this a Communist country? I thought this was America")

Futurama - Fry ("That's not soon enough")

Curb Your Enthusiasm - Leon

Bojack - Mr. Peanut butter ("Do you know anything about Secretariat? You know he was a horse?  Wait, did I just spoil that for you?")

• Like 4

Simpsons - Hank Scorpio (yes, I said it)

Parks & Rec - Ron Swanson (possibly one of the greatest TV characters of all time)

Scrubs - Dr. Perry Cox

The Office (US) - Dwight Schrute

Futurama - Bender Bending Rodriguez

South Park - Randy Marsh

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Charlie Kelly

30 Rock - Jack Donaghy

King of the Hill - Boomhauer

Archer - Sterling Archer

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Raymond Holt

Dr. Katz - Benjamin Katz (yes, H Jon Benjamin makes the list twice)

Supernatural - EVERY CHARACTER , Bobby, Cas, Sam, Dean, Jo, shoot they all make the show. Oh my gosh then there is the Trickster, aka Gabrial, then there is Lucifer and Ruby man... okay personal favorite is Sam. Just relate to him very much.

Arrested Development - Totally agree Tobias makes that show what it is like oh my gosh I just love his shenanigans and "never nude".

Edited by Skorp
  • Like 1

Moderator · Posted
8 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Simpsons - Homer ("Lousy traumatic childhood")

Seinfeld - George ("I think it moved")

30 Rock - Jenna ("If you can't handle the heat, get off Mickey Rourke's sex grill")

Parks and Rec - Jean Ralphio ("I made my money the old-fashioned way.  I got run over by a Lexus")

Arrested Development - Tobias (“Oh man, I can just taste those meaty leading man parts in my mouth.”)

Flight of the Conchords - Jemaine ("Yeah")

Cheers - Cliff

Frasier - Niles

The Office - Michael ("Sometimes I start a sentence and I don't even know where it's going")

Party Down - Roman ("Fantasy is bullshit")

South Park - Randy ("Is this a Communist country? I thought this was America")

Futurama - Fry ("That's not soon enough")

Curb Your Enthusiasm - Leon

Bojack - Mr. Peanut butter ("Do you know anything about Secretariat? You know he was a horse?  Wait, did I just spoil that for you?")

Wat, as a Cheers junkie Sam is the heart and soul of that show. Love Norm, but he’s more of the Dwight Schrute to the Office’s Michael Scott. (Also, anyone who thinks Michael isn’t the key character in the office is crazy). 

50 minutes ago, doner24 said:

Wat, as a Cheers junkie Sam is the heart and soul of that show. Love Norm, but he’s more of the Dwight Schrute to the Office’s Michael Scott. (Also, anyone who thinks Michael isn’t the key character in the office is crazy). 

You can call me crazy, but Dwight is the key to the show, plus he sticks around to the end.  Dwight remains throughout even the weak seasons.  

Moderator · Posted
57 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

You can call me crazy, but Dwight is the key to the show, plus he sticks around to the end.  Dwight remains throughout even the weak seasons.  

Those last 2 seasons show exactly why Michael was the key to the show. 

Ok, I've read a couple from you guys, and my opinions are being swayed... let me stop so I can be "honest".  A random sampling of TV shows I've enjoyed over the years.  Loosely chronological.

Duck Tale - Gizmoduck

Tailspin - Kahn or Kit. Kahn because it was obvious he was based off of Shere Kahn from the Jungle Book, but wasn't an antagonist of Tailspin.

Captain N - Game Boy

Any Muppet Show (or movie) - Beaker

Hey Dude - Danny

Adventures of Pete & Pete - The Dancing Lady Tattoo

Salute Your Shorts - Butnick

Perfect Strangers - Balki

Star Trek: TNG - Picard.  Seriously, should it be anyone else. And don't bring Broccoli into this.

Seinfeld - Tough one, but I think I'm going with Kramer. For secondary characters, Newman. Mwaaahaahaahaaaaaa.

Frasier - Tie between Niels and Roz. All of their bits together were the best the show had to offer, but as individuals characters they really needed each other to be the best part of the show.

Friends - None of them.  Throw out the whole show. Clap clapclapclap clap.

Alias - Evil Francie

LOST - Shannon... j/k Sawyer!

The Office (UK) - David Bryne

The Office (USA) - Michael Scott. Creed as a secondary character.

30 Rock - Kenneth

Parks and Rec - Ron Swanson, and I don't care if that's cliche. Secondary characters, Jon Ralpheo.  He needed to be in the show even more.

Stranger Things - Steve.  I mean, come on. Who else could it be.

The Crown - Prince Phillip.  He's an excellent character that you don't quite "love to hate" but you both don't like him but at times feel sorry for him. I mean, he's complete jerk but he also was pigeon holed into a life he wasn't ready yet to accept.  Anyway, the guy harbors a lot of bitterness and for the acting and the story telling, I think he's one of the best characters, although definitely not the most likable. 

The Good Place - Jason or Janet.

Brooklyn 99 - Captain Holt

Star Trek : Picard - Uuuuugh, they are killing the ST universe, but I'll go with Seven of Nine if I have to pick.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
9 hours ago, Skorp said:

Supernatural - EVERY CHARACTER , Bobby, Cas, Sam, Dean, Jo, shoot they all make the show. Oh my gosh then there is the Trickster, aka Gabrial, then there is Lucifer and Ruby man... okay personal favorite is Sam. Just relate to him very much.

Arrested Development - Totally agree Tobias makes that show what it is like oh my gosh I just love his shenanigans and "never nude".

I was gonna say Dean.  Any meta episode is a complete winner

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, doner24 said:

I'd say Cliff is what makes Cheers funny.  The socks, the mother, the BS, the Jeopardy catastrophe, this...

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

How's that Dwight Schrute spin off show going? Oh right.

Dwight was a great character, but the show was all about Michael Scott as proven by the last two seasons as mentioned by @Reed Rothchild The show dragged on after. Andy was no Michael Scott and the more his character tried to be like Michael, the crappier the show got.

2 hours ago, Mega Tank said:

Dwight was a great character, but the show was all about Michael Scott as proven by the last two seasons as mentioned by @Reed Rothchild The show dragged on after. Andy was no Michael Scott and the more his character tried to be like Michael, the crappier the show got.

Regarding Micheal Scott, the truth is that The Office was the house that Steve Carrell built.  The man's a genius.  Sure, it takes creative writing to create a good character, but great acting is what can make a character timeless.  I doubt any other comedic actor, that I can think of, could have fit the bill as well as Steve did.  All hail king Steve!

2 hours ago, doner24 said:

Those last 2 seasons show exactly why Michael was the key to the show. 

The fact that the show went downhill after Michael leaving is more of a coincidence than anything.  Steve Carell knew when to get out and he got out at the right time.  The writing was the problem, and while Michael presence could have helped offset it, he couldn't have saved it.    

2 hours ago, Mega Tank said:

Terrible argument.  The fact that that spin off didn't work out is the only thing that kept the last two seasons from being a complete disaster (yes it could have and would have been MUCH worse without Dwight).

We also can't discount the fact that Pam and Jim got together... and married... and had a kid.  Most shows that have a will-they-won't-they relationship as the focal point (and it was for the first few years) tend to not last after that.  The show really had to find a new stride after they got together and in a since, lightening struck twice when Micheal Scott moved from being a bumbling pseudo-antagonist, to a lovable idiot.  Transitioning to Micheal as the main character, from Pam and Jim is what gave the show a second wind.  But when Micheal Scott left, it was not likely that something, or someone, else would keep the show afloat.  I mean, all of the characters were really strong in their own ways but just as Dunder Mifflin floundered along, so did the show until it's end.

I did like Robert California though in a "let's jump the shark and throw out something really insane" kind of way.

Moderator · Posted
42 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

The fact that the show went downhill after Michael leaving is more of a coincidence than anything.  Steve Carell knew when to get out and he got out at the right time.  The writing was the problem, and while Michael presence could have helped offset it, he couldn't have saved it.    

It’s ok, but you are grossly off on this and everybody but you knows it.