IGNORED

Best Characters from TV Shows

LucasWeatherby

3 minutes ago, doner24 said:

It’s ok, but you are grossly off on this and everybody but you knows it. 

I"ll put it another way.  The show wouldn't even have made it the seven seasons that Michael was in without Dwight.  Michael's character had to be almost completely rewritten for season 2.  Michael is easily the second best character in the show, but it couldn't have survived without Dwight.  

Moderator · Posted
11 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I"ll put it another way.  The show wouldn't even have made it the seven seasons that Michael was in without Dwight.  Michael's character had to be almost completely rewritten for season 2.  Michael is easily the second best character in the show, but it couldn't have survived without Dwight.  

Lol, it’s cool that you think that, but so far off of reality. The reason he was rewritten was due to separating him from the Ricky Gervais version. They realized the US needed a character that was easier to root for. Dwight is a great character, but not even the best in his own show at what he does (chaos), that goes to Creed in a much smaller role. There’s a reason Michael Scott just won best character in TV history in a huge online poll. 

7 hours ago, doner24 said:

Lol, it’s cool that you think that, but so far off of reality. The reason he was rewritten was due to separating him from the Ricky Gervais version. They realized the US needed a character that was easier to root for. Dwight is a great character, but not even the best in his own show at what he does (chaos), that goes to Creed in a much smaller role. There’s a reason Michael Scott just won best character in TV history in a huge online poll. 

They rewrote Michael's character because they didn't want the show to get canceled, which is technically the same thing you said, so at least we agree there.  

As far as Dwight goes, I guess you are just going to have to get used to the fact that some people disagree with you.  I don't know what else to tell you.

1 minute ago, TDIRunner said:

They rewrote Michael's character because they didn't want the show to get canceled, which is technically the same thing you said, so at least we agree there.  

As far as Dwight goes, I guess you are just going to have to get used to the fact that some people disagree with you.  I don't know what else to tell you.

Michael was the one who got things going, he was the root of most of the issues that revolved around the office. Sensitivity training etc was all because of Michael. Dwight was a good character, but the show did not revolve around him. It was Michael's personality that created the ruckus in the office.

When Dwight was temporarily the manager, his personality is just to be a jerk to everyone around him. When he was the owner of the building he shut everything down, ran the place like crazy with rules and limitations. That is the personality of Dwight. That type of stuff would not carry a show as a spin off, Shrute Farms or not. There was nothing funny about Dwight when he had power, he was a jerk as a boss and that was it. Michael would do silly things to try to boost office morale, he was a man child that had to have his way. He placed everyone in funny, awkward and hysterical situations and his personality carried the show until his departure.

I never claimed that Dwight deserved a spin off.  In fact, I claimed the opposite.  Spin offs are a terrible idea and in the few instances where networks were dumb enough to proceed with them, their failure is not somehow proof that a character is bad.  I don't know why this argument keeps coming up, but it doesn't hold water.  A spin off with Michael Scott would also be a terrible idea and I would refuse to watch such a thing.   

On 4/30/2020 at 2:01 PM, TDIRunner said:

The fact that the show went downhill after Michael leaving is more of a coincidence than anything.  Steve Carell knew when to get out and he got out at the right time.  The writing was the problem, and while Michael presence could have helped offset it, he couldn't have saved it.    

Except that he didn't know. He was all set to renew his contract and the network literally never called him back so he figured they just didn't want him back. It just came out the other month.

On 4/30/2020 at 12:35 AM, LucasWeatherby said:

After 2 seasons, my decision is that Cody is by far the best character

Damn shame what happened to Sasha Mitchel (actor who played Cody.) During the show's run, he got arrested on a domestic violence charge against his wife at the time and was fired. Later, despite all this, the courts gave him custody of the kids. It's strange because it used to be on his wikipedia and easy to find elsewhere, but now seems to have disappeared from the internet with the exception of people mentioning it, but there were interviews done in the mid 2010's where he explained that his ex wife was a heavy drug user and was physically abusing the children and he restrained her in a manner that they deemed abuse at the time of the call, but that the whole thing eventually got thrown out and he ended up with full custody. Damage was already done and his career never recovered. Idk what to believe now, but it's really weird how the contrary claims are all gone and all you see now is the news articles from 95-97 during the time of the incident.

Saul Goodman- breaking bad

Randy- South Park

John Locke- Lost

Michael Scott- the office

Homer- the Simpson's

George costanza- Seinfeld

Phoebe- Friends

Bender- Futurama

Miguel Prado- Dexter

Bobby Elvis- Sons of Anarchy

Dr Cox- scrubs

Gob- arrested development (though Tobias might be tied, aka, Anustart.

20 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Spin offs are a terrible idea and in the few instances where networks were dumb enough to proceed with them, their failure is not somehow proof that a character is bad.

I'd agree with you 100% but you can't forget well loved, critically acclaimed shows like Frasier. In the back of my mind there's another. There were also successful spin offs in the 60s and 70s. Networks try spin offs because they don't universally fail and in some cases, they over shadow the parent.

Now, I'm not saying the Dwight show was worth making, but there's a reason why networks invest to try. It's an attempt to keep the lucrative stream going, and there have been successes. It just turns out that in the last 20 years, a "blockbuster" TV show has yet to produce a memorable spin off.

9 hours ago, MachineCode said:

Except that he didn't know. He was all set to renew his contract and the network literally never called him back so he figured they just didn't want him back. It just came out the other month.

I find that hard to believe. I mean, they definitely put a nice bow on the Michael School story line. Certainly within all that time of building closure, an agent, a producer, an exec had to have made a phone call. Maybe Steve Carrell was hard to work with, and he was generally unhappy. So by "lapse of asking to renew" was a friendly way of letting Steve and the studio split and it was "nobodies fault." But, I should probably read the breaking article before I make that judgement call. Still, you telling feels like it's half the story.

I mean... A mistake like that would about like a fortune 50 company forgetting to renew their web security certificate!

30 minutes ago, RH said:

I'd agree with you 100% but you can't forget well loved, critically acclaimed shows like Frasier. In the back of my mind there's another. There were also successful spin offs in the 60s and 70s. Networks try spin offs because they don't universally fail and in some cases, they over shadow the parent.

Now, I'm not saying the Dwight show was worth making, but there's a reason why networks invest to try. It's an attempt to keep the lucrative stream going, and there have been successes. It just turns out that in the last 20 years, a "blockbuster" TV show has yet to produce a memorable spin off.

Daria, Angel, Young Sheldon, and Better call Saul off the top of my head. Lots More if you want to count reality shows(which let's be honest is like 75% of new shows anymore)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, RH said:

I didn't forget about Frasier.  I almost even mentioned it.  But the extremely rare instance of a spin off show working doesn't change the fact that it's still usually a bad idea.  I knew immediately after leaving my post that I was going to regret wording it as though it was absolute, but I was too lazy to edit it.   

49 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Daria, Angel, Young Sheldon, and Better call Saul off the top of my head. Lots More if you want to count reality shows(which let's be honest is like 75% of new shows anymore)

I think Better Call Saul is better than Breaking Bad and it's not even close. Breaking Bad is painfully repetitive and increasingly ludicrous as it goes.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I didn't forget about Frasier.  I almost even mentioned it.  But the extremely rare instance of a spin off show working doesn't change the fact that it's still usually a bad idea.  I knew immediately after leaving my post that I was going to regret wording it as though it was absolute, but I was too lazy to edit it.   

Well, my point wasn't to call you our but rather justify why networks do it. They do it because it can allow them to successfully keep the gravy train running. If all of their spin offs were poor to mediocre at best, they wouldn't do it.

But when when we think about spin offs, we also usually remember the train wrecks and we all ask "what were they thinking?!" when they bomb out half way into the first episode. Well... What they were thing was that they wanted another Frasier, or similar show. It might fail but usually the upfront cost of a pilot and another episode or two are usually rather cheap.

1 minute ago, DoctorEncore said:

I think Better Call Saul is better than Breaking Bad and it's not even close. Breaking Bad is painfully repetitive and increasingly ludicrous as it goes.

I haven't watched Saul yet, but he was easily the best part of breaking bad. I'm going to have to at some point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RH said:

People also tend to forget that Family Matters was a spinoff of Perfect Strangers. In that case, the spin off surpassed the original.

2 hours ago, RH said:

I find that hard to believe. I mean, they definitely put a nice bow on the Michael School story line. Certainly within all that time of building closure, an agent, a producer, an exec had to have made a phone call. Maybe Steve Carrell was hard to work with, and he was generally unhappy. So by "lapse of asking to renew" was a friendly way of letting Steve and the studio split and it was "nobodies fault." But, I should probably read the breaking article before I make that judgement call. Still, you telling feels like it's half the story.

I mean... A mistake like that would about like a fortune 50 company forgetting to renew their web security certificate!

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/03/the-office-casting-director-nbc-steve-carell-exit-1202220065/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RH said:

Well, my point wasn't to call you our but rather justify why networks do it. They do it because it can allow them to successfully keep the gravy train running. If all of their spin offs were poor to mediocre at best, they wouldn't do it.

But when when we think about spin offs, we also usually remember the train wrecks and we all ask "what were they thinking?!" when they bomb out half way into the first episode. Well... What they were thing was that they wanted another Frasier, or similar show. It might fail but usually the upfront cost of a pilot and another episode or two are usually rather cheap.

There is a video that explained what @MachineCode posted on YT somewhere. Steve Carrel did not want to leave the show.