IGNORED

Joy-Con drift

B.A.

My friend just asked me to try an look into this on their units. The big N looks like they are not taking in any repairs at the moment anyways so gunna attemp something. Seen vids on iso alcohol, I don't see this as a bad strategy for temp fix. Iso is non-conductive but the danger is using a low% solvent. anything in that 30% will typically be slightly conductive. I use 99%, and plan on compressed air drying. Looking into replacment sticks in the meantime while the temp fix serves it's time 

Given the choice, the video I found due to the other one just before my post on how to work this on standard joycons, and it costs all of $10.  I'd rather just pop it open take 15-20min of my time and start fresh than attempting to slap bandaids at it or getting hosed for what $70? for another pair of otherwise working parts.

Electrical contact cleaner has worked perfectly for me.  Just stick the straw thingy under the rubber boots, spray a little bit, wiggle the stick around, repeat every couple of weeks.  I've been doing this for over a year with no problems.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Blitus said:

Electrical contact cleaner has worked perfectly for me.  Just stick the straw thingy under the rubber boots, spray a little bit, wiggle the stick around, repeat every couple of weeks.  I've been doing this for over a year with no problems.

I'll have to try that. I have 4 of them that are unusable again. My kids are really hard in them, but the failure rate is getting ridiculous.

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t play much at all, but I picked my Switch up again during quarantine.

Noticed my left joy con forcing a character to the left, hopped on VGS and found this thread.

I just replaced it, took like 5-10 minutes.  The replacement set I bought had a y00 screwdriver that was complete junk and stripped itself immediately, so I bought a nice precision security screwdriver set.  Money well spent as it looks as though I’ll likely have to do this again down the road.

I’ve never docked my Switch and only treat it as a handheld, so the joy cons are my only option really.

Edited by MrMark0673
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

So now i've experienced it happening to me aswell. I suspect it started earlier with the BOTW map cursor having a little extra slide once you release the analog and thought maybe the game was just made like that but now when i see movement without even touching it i know what time it is. Fucking shit a console gets released in 2017 and you have to put up with this.

So what is the solution? Should i just keep buying new joycons every 3 fucking months forever?

57 minutes ago, cartman said:

So now i've experienced it happening to me aswell. I suspect it started earlier with the BOTW map cursor having a little extra slide once you release the analog and thought maybe the game was just made like that but now when i see movement without even touching it i know what time it is. Fucking shit a console gets released in 2017 and you have to put up with this.

So what is the solution? Should i just keep buying new joycons every 3 fucking months forever?

Last year my left joy con had the drifts, but this was after the class action talk and Nintendo was offering free repair. I made a report, got an RMA the next day, and had it repaired and returned in a week. Now my right joy con is drifting, so again I sent in a report on 7/16, but I still haven't received a label. I bought a new analogue stick off ebay ($5 w/ 3 day shipping) yesterday and will try the repair myself on Tuesday. I'm playing DQ XI S in 2d mode right now so it doesn't effect that game thankfully, but I got my son the BotW DLC for his birthday next week, so hopefully everything works out.

41 minutes ago, Aguy said:

Last year my left joy con had the drifts, but this was after the class action talk and Nintendo was offering free repair. I made a report, got an RMA the next day, and had it repaired and returned in a week. Now my right joy con is drifting, so again I sent in a report on 7/16, but I still haven't received a label. I bought a new analogue stick off ebay ($5 w/ 3 day shipping) yesterday and will try the repair myself on Tuesday. I'm playing DQ XI S in 2d mode right now so it doesn't effect that game thankfully, but I got my son the BotW DLC for his birthday next week, so hopefully everything works out.

It seems to be inevitable then pretty much. I don't like the idea of constant maintainance even if Nintendo gave out replacements for free because you can never have a working console.

The Switch (and the Wii U, honestly) is going to be a nightmare to revisit 20+ years from now like we do with other Nintendo hardware. My childhood GBC got beat around as I carried it everywhere but if you pop some batteries in that thing it still powers on and every button works fine.

I know - that comparison is apples to oranges and consoles have way more moving parts these days.

1 hour ago, The Strangest said:

The Switch (and the Wii U, honestly) is going to be a nightmare to revisit 20+ years from now like we do with other Nintendo hardware. My childhood GBC got beat around as I carried it everywhere but if you pop some batteries in that thing it still powers on and every button works fine.

I know - that comparison is apples to oranges and consoles have way more moving parts these days.

They ought to release solid joycons before that happens, before the console has ran it's course. And then you attach them to your current display screen just as usual. But i mean they release the Lite and that has non-detachable controls ON TOP of being the same malfunctioning piece of shit i really don't know what the fuck they're thinking over there.

The more I've read it seems that it's not inclusive to the Nintendo Switch, yet it gets dumped on maybe since they're not known for shoddy hardware traditionally speaking.

That said the joycon repair is a snap.  I got curious about it and looked at some videos months ago that were pointed to when someone found an original source for OEM replacement sticks.  If you're not having to dig into the LITE which is a little hardware (obviously more screws and it's a tighter fit) it's fairly easy.  You have 4 screws that keep the unit itself in one piece.  You pop them out, get the railing away with the ribbon detaching that.  Depending on the side/setup you pop the battery out, take a few more screws away, and there you have the PCB in hand with the stick and the stick just is a box with another teeny ribbon cable that slides into a clasp on the PCB.  Just swap, re-screw, remount rail, re-screw the rest together, and back to business.  It'll take probably 15min depending I would think just on being careful not to lose screws or rip the little ribbons getting them in-out again.  Seeing you can get them for under $10 shipped, less obnoxious doing that than waiting 7-10 days to get a refurb joycon returned.

34 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

The more I've read it seems that it's not inclusive to the Nintendo Switch, yet it gets dumped on maybe since they're not known for shoddy hardware traditionally speaking.

That said the joycon repair is a snap.  I got curious about it and looked at some videos months ago that were pointed to when someone found an original source for OEM replacement sticks.  If you're not having to dig into the LITE which is a little hardware (obviously more screws and it's a tighter fit) it's fairly easy.  You have 4 screws that keep the unit itself in one piece.  You pop them out, get the railing away with the ribbon detaching that.  Depending on the side/setup you pop the battery out, take a few more screws away, and there you have the PCB in hand with the stick and the stick just is a box with another teeny ribbon cable that slides into a clasp on the PCB.  Just swap, re-screw, remount rail, re-screw the rest together, and back to business.  It'll take probably 15min depending I would think just on being careful not to lose screws or rip the little ribbons getting them in-out again.  Seeing you can get them for under $10 shipped, less obnoxious doing that than waiting 7-10 days to get a refurb joycon returned.

Is there a video of this repair by someone you'd say does it properly?

3 minutes ago, cartman said:

Is there a video of this repair by someone you'd say does it properly?

Yeah this one shows you how to tear down an original bright red launch joycon, step by step tweezers and all to get the little ribbons back in and out.  It's a bit chatty but very effectively done showing the how to on it.

a bit

12 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah this one shows you how to tear down an original bright red launch joycon, step by step tweezers and all to get the little ribbons back in and out.  It's a bit chatty but very effectively done showing the how to on it.

a bit

Thans, I guess i'll see what i can do. Really unhappy about this shit and having to find replacement parts.

UPDATE: Well, the replacement I ordered on eBay never showed up so I ordered one on Amazon ($8) with 2 day shipping. I just installed it this morning and it took about 10 minutes, very easy but everything is so small. It will be nice to control the camera in BotW again, and Stardew Valley was unplayable.

Here's the listing on Amazon. It came with these really nice metal needle point tweezers which are worth the price alone. I know we as consumers shouldn't have to deal with these kinds of issues in this day and age of gaming, but I'll take this over RRoD (X360) or lens malfunctions (PS1/PS2) any day.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZLP2TJ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

33 minutes ago, Aguy said:

UPDATE: Well, the replacement I ordered on eBay never showed up so I ordered one on Amazon ($8) with 2 day shipping. I just installed it this morning and it took about 10 minutes, very easy but everything is so small. It will be nice to control the camera in BotW again, and Stardew Valley was unplayable.

Here's the listing on Amazon. It came with these really nice metal needle point tweezers which are worth the price alone. I know we as consumers shouldn't have to deal with these kinds of issues in this day and age of gaming, but I'll take this over RRoD (X360) or lens malfunctions (PS1/PS2) any day.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZLP2TJ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How does it work now? Is there slight traces of wonkyness or does it work fully?

22 minutes ago, Makar said:

Alright I'm experiencing joycon drift now too. Anyone know if you can ship your joycons to Nintendo for them to fix them? It's really hard to play games now. I basically have to use my pro controller for every game now.

They should have resumed the repair service.  I'm planning to just buy the replacement sticks and do it myself.  When my switch lite was sent in I ended up waiting around a month.

I sent in a repair request 3 weeks ago and have not heard back.

2 hours ago, zeppelin03 said:

They should have resumed the repair service.  I'm planning to just buy the replacement sticks and do it myself.  When my switch lite was sent in I ended up waiting around a month.

10 hours ago, zeppelin03 said:

Dang that's a long wait. Do you have a link for how to go about doing that repair service?

Edit: NVM I found it. Here it is for others

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/ask/ht/293/cp/677/mq/740https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/ask/ht/789

Edited by Makar