IGNORED

Joy-Con drift

B.A.

I would imagine not.  I think they were looking at 2021 or 22 probably for a system refresh.  They're rocking the sales so they're unmotivated to do a 'Pro' situation that still uses backwards compatible chipset technology.  They'll have to take a hit in sales, or a hit in support that'll then hurt sales if people stop porting or making nice new third party things for it.  If third parties start to abandon when the tech gulf is too wide for custom ports of hot stuff (Doom, Dark Souls, etc) they'll refresh.

On 8/10/2020 at 2:17 PM, Space Jockey said:

Thank you, just submitted my support ticket on 4 joy-cons with drifting issues.  I have a good working third set, so I'm sure they will last until Nintendo gets around to my turn.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/ask/ht/293/cp/677/mq/740https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/ask/ht/789

So I used the above link and sent out four Joy-Cons on August 12th for the joystick drift issue on all of them.  Left side being way worse than the right side of course, but still an issue.  Got them back today exactly two weeks after sending them out.  Nintendo paid for shipping via UPS, fixed them and sent them back all with no charges.  All Joy-Cons are working great right now.  So if you have a few weeks and a spare set to keep you occupied until then, it's a free option.  Mine were all special neon colors as well, and I got the exact same ones back.

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, BreaKBeatZ said:

My right stick to drift, so I bought a new pair and the left joycon STILL drifts. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a problem with the Switch itself or did I just buy defective joycons?

You bought an entirely new set of joycons, not just a replacement stick?  I haven't heard of that happening, I would return those. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, B.A. said:

You bought an entirely new set of joycons, not just a replacement stick?  I haven't heard of that happening, I would return those. 

Well they were advertised as new on ebay, and yes, it was a new set of joycons. Maybe the seller tried to pass off a set of old ones as being new, but the packaging all looked right.

• Wow! 1

33 minutes ago, ChickenTendas said:

My Joy Cons have had drift for a few weeks now and it's driving me nuts. When docked, I'll just use the Pro Controller, but that's not really an option when I want to take it in the car or whatever. I've already tried recalibrating them and also tried cleaning the sensor and neither worked. So it looks like my options are:

1. Buy a replacement stick

2. Send them in to Nintendo to get repaired

3. Buy a new set

Any suggestions on how I should solve this? I absolutely love my Switch but I'd be willing to wait a month or so to get them repaired.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AF0OFVU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_I7LFFbGYEQ2F8

Spritz this in the stick first. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BreaKBeatZ said:

Well they were advertised as new on ebay, and yes, it was a new set of joycons. Maybe the seller tried to pass off a set of old ones as being new, but the packaging all looked right.

Well it's ebay, I wouldn't be 100% certain, as they're cheap and easy to mess with to seem new, much like the mass of so called legit new SD/microSD cards out there you find actually come from china and have smaller/crappier chips wired in to make a profit.  I've not heard really of new out of box being jacked up, but if they are a legit rare lemon a store return is in order for a swap only because a warranty replacement would take too long leaving you without gaming.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Well it's ebay, I wouldn't be 100% certain, as they're cheap and easy to mess with to seem new, much like the mass of so called legit new SD/microSD cards out there you find actually come from china and have smaller/crappier chips wired in to make a profit.  I've not heard really of new out of box being jacked up, but if they are a legit rare lemon a store return is in order for a swap only because a warranty replacement would take too long leaving you without gaming.

Thanks for the info. I remember the box looked kind of jacked up when I opened it (I wasn't paying close attention though), so I'm starting to think the seller tried something shady.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Yep, looks like he tried scamming me. The seller had 98.9% feedback, which seems solid, but I just looked at his negative feedback comments:

Untitled.png

On 10/8/2020 at 7:16 AM, cartman said:

Can't believe in this day & age they can get away with releasing a malfunctioning piece of shit like this. I hope the lawsuit goes through.

Owing to how these  things usually go, it'll likely be settled out of court, Nintendo will issue a token refund out of their cash reserves and a non-apology apology in exchange for never outright admitting anything. The lawyers will walk away with a big chunk of the settlement, Nintendo will argue the case is settled, and the Joy-Cons will still drift.

• Haha 1

And now the news I'm reading today, the shift of wanting to kick someones ass is shifting towards Microsoft, their new controlled seems to be so called drift happy too.  I guess maybe whatever is the most news worthy and hot ticket is better to send some vultures and sharks after?

16 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Owing to how these  things usually go, it'll likely be settled out of court, Nintendo will issue a token refund out of their cash reserves and a non-apology apology in exchange for never outright admitting anything. The lawyers will walk away with a big chunk of the settlement, Nintendo will argue the case is settled, and the Joy-Cons will still drift.

Yeah that's how it happens. They have their good lawyers who will sort it out smoothly and it will have no impact.

• 3 months later...

I finally decided to submit a repair request to Nintendo after having replaced all of my thumbsticks at least once.  They let you do up to 4 online without talking to anyone, so I sent in 4 and just got them back yesterday.  They just sent me 4 brand new joy cons.  So hopefully these should work for about 5 or 6 months...

It was pretty painless though, I sent them in on 12/28 and got them back on 1/13.  Most of that time was waiting for slow UPS shipping.  No cost to me even though I bought my Switch at launch. 

Edited by B.A.
  • Like 1

That's not bad at all.  I've had mine since the day it came out, and I think I'm maybe starting to see the left one do it when I've been playing that Fenyx Rising game.  I'm not certain as it's not where I can just sit it down and watch it move, so it's either going or I'm subconsciously at random rare moments pulling it slightly and I don't realize it.  Been considering just buying a pair of backup sticks since it's really not hard to pop open a joycon anyway.  I'd like it to hold out until the Switch Pro or whatever it's called drops.

I haven't experienced JoyCon drift, to my knowledge, so lucky there. However, I play a lot of multiplayer with the joycons in that "sideways" configuration, and recently one of my right JoyCons I got with the system back in 2017 had the SR button on the edge crap out.

It was working only intermittently, so I took the fucker apart to see what was what, and upon taking it apart both the SR AND SL buttons as well as the lights on the side stopped working. Apparently this happens because the tiny ribbon cable connecting these buttons gets bent or something, but whatever.

Fortunately, that JoyCon still works fine when attached to the system or when detached for single player dual wielding, so I just keep it attached now and bought another pair of JoyCons for multiplayer.