IGNORED

Gizmodo: Nintendo Cracked Open Its Secret Game Boy Stash to Help a 95-Year-Old Fan

Teh_Lurv

Tsusaka’s mother loved playing Tetris on the original Game Boy, and was on her third original handheld when it stopped working around the same time the 95-year-old woman had fallen ill. The original Game Boy was discontinued in 2003, however, and it became impossible to find a brand new replacement in local stores, and attempts to have the broken console repaired were unsuccessful.

Tsusaka’s son, the 95-year-old woman’s grandson, told his grandmother that Nintendo was known for its excellent customer service, and recommended she reach out to the company for help. She did, with a handwritten letter that was sent off in the mail. A week later Nintendo’s customer support responded, confirming that her Game Boy was beyond repair because the company no longer had the requisite parts, but with the response they included a brand new Game Boy the company had found in a warehouse, along with a letter wishing that she’d have many more years to play Tetris.

https://gizmodo.com/nintendo-cracked-open-its-secret-game-boy-stash-to-help-1841905783

Good on Nintendo for going above and beyond with their customer service.

It makes me wonder though what else Nintendo has stashed away in their vault? I'm imagining a warehouse a-la Raiders of the Lost Ark with boxes of sealed Stadium Events and other rare games.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Teh_Lurv said:

https://gizmodo.com/nintendo-cracked-open-its-secret-game-boy-stash-to-help-1841905783

Good on Nintendo for going above and beyond with their customer service.

It makes me wonder though what else Nintendo has stashed away in their vault? I'm imagining a warehouse a-la Raiders of the Lost Ark with boxes of sealed Stadium Events and other rare games.

There's no reason for Nintendo have have possession of a game made by Bandai.

It's not uncommon for old stock like this to be available, it's quite possible they have pallets of things in warehouses that are just not inventoried and nobody knows what's in them. There is simply so much stuff to go through and half of it is buried under or behind other things that it just gets left there until someone gets delegated to go through it and that never happens. I'd be willing to bet they have a few bins full of PCB and have no idea which builds of which games are on them. And eventually they'll probably get thrown away.