IGNORED

Games where you pretty much need a turbo controller to finish

Tabonga

The one that sticks in my mind the most is Equinox* for the SNES.  There is one spot where you have to jump on the tops of several columns in immediate succession in order to get to the next rooms.  Doesn't sound too bad - but I said immediate because you slide off the tops of the columns instantly.  The only way I could do it was to set the turbo controller to slow things up and set it for constant  jumping.  Then I could get on the top of each column and slowly nudge my way over the top of each column until I was ready to jump to the next one.  Even then it took a few tries because the jump spots have to be precise or you drop to the floor,   

I  sorta remember a spot in Krusty's Super Funhouse (Genesis) where I had to do much the same - but that is one of those games I never did finish.

*It is a sequel to the NES game Solstice. If you liked Landstalker you will probably like this game.

Edited by Tabonga

34 minutes ago, Gutling said:

I did not know this game existed. I love/hate solstice lol and would have loved a 16bit version. I am going to try this game out when off work.

Also so not unrelated, almost all shmups that do not auto-fire. My fingers would get worn down just mashing constantly. 

I like games with an isometric view - this one leans more to puzzle solving and exploration than to action.  It is a hidden gem of one likes that genre.

Edited by Tabonga

Equinox is great!  I beat it a few years ago for the first time, no turbo.  I don't really remember that part with the columns but I know conveyor blocks are all over the place in that game, usually placed to catch you by surprise.

I take pride in beating games without enhancements like turbo, even it it makes things painful with heavy mashing or what have you.  Ghostbusters on NES is sure to put me to the test though when the time comes.  I seem to remember beating that game as a kid without any turbo.  I have to imagine I would fare better today.

9 minutes ago, arnpoly said:

Equinox is great!  I beat it a few years ago for the first time, no turbo.  I don't really remember that part with the columns but I know conveyor blocks are all over the place in that game, usually placed to catch you by surprise.

me

I could be misremembering - it could be that I am mixing it up with some other game - although for the life of me I can't imagine what it would be.

There are several times in Metal Gear Solid games where button mashing is needed.  Turbo is never required to get through, but it sure makes it easier.  My understanding is that in those instances, Hideo Kojima wanted you to feel the pain that Snake was enduring, so he wanted your finger to cramp up while playing through those situations.  In my opinion, in MGS4 it really works.  The scene near the end really makes you feel uncomfortable because you are also trying to move your character while button mashing at the same time. 

Edited by TDIRunner

22 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

I could be misremembering - it could be that I am mixing it up with some other game - although for the life of me I can't imagine what it would be.

I think you've got it right.  I definitely remember some tight jumps when you have to land on the edge of a block that is trying to slide you backward, then jump right away to keep from falling off.  The timing is pretty tight in some cases but I was able to manage.

39 minutes ago, arnpoly said:

If you aren't familiar with it this gameboy game was made by the same company that did Solstice and Equinox.

1 minute ago, arnpoly said:

I think you've got it right.  I definitely remember some tight jumps when you have to land on the edge of a block that is trying to slide you backward, then jump right away to keep from falling off.  The timing is pretty tight in some cases but I was able to manage.

Heh - now I will have to go replay it jog my memory.  Someone has a youtube with a complete playthrough - even at double speed  it is a long video though.  And watching someone play is nowhere as near as fun as playing it yourself.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2020 at 10:46 AM, Gutling said:

I did not know this game existed. I love/hate solstice lol and would have loved a 16bit version. I am going to try this game out when off work.

Also so not unrelated, almost all shmups that do not auto-fire. My fingers would get worn down just mashing constantly. 

I was going to say Gunsmoke specifically.  I don't see how anyone could beat that game without destroying a controller.

On 2/17/2020 at 4:46 PM, Gutling said:

Aside from the isometric perspective, they are very different.

I'm a big fan of Solstice, one of my favourite NES games, but I could never get into Equinox. The soundtrack is excellent though.
Btw, the original Japanese title for Equinox (it was a Japanese release by Sony despite being developed by a British team) is literally Solstice 2.

On 3/5/2020 at 8:22 PM, Rooster said:

Is this actually possible without turbo or cheats?

(Re: Ghostbusters) It depends on whether you consider the health wraparound bug a "cheat" or not. It's extremely possible to trigger it accidentally, since it's caused by doing something that's a normal and intended part of gameplay, so I don't consider it a cheat since you'd have to avoid an entire aspect of the game (opening doors) just to avoid triggering it.

Without that bug, I'd say it'd be close to impossible.

• 5 weeks later...