IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

10 minutes ago, cartman said:

I don't know if it would've been such a bad idea that the police/military enforces distancing and perhaps even masks? It is kinda icky and fascist i know but when there's a virus going on that collectively infects people and is spreading rampantly perhaps individual rights do need to take a back seat i don't know.

I don't think it's fascist. At this rate we are going to have hundreds of thousands of dead people. The fascist part of this whole thing is stealing everything from the treasury while not careing about what happens to the average person. 

I am of the mind that police should start arresting people to enforce the policy. If the people are more likely to get covid from being locked up, fuck em, they don't believe in protecting others.

Edited by Californication
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Californication said:

I don't think it's fascist. At this rate we are going to have hundreds of thousands of dead people. The fascist part of this whole thing is stealing everything from the treasury while not careing about what happens to the average person. 

I am of the mind that police should start arresting people to enforce the policy. If the people are more likely to get covid from being locked up, fuck em, they don't believe in protecting others.

Yes that's what i mean. There's so much strain on the healthcare aside from actual deaths and it spreads so easily that there's a valid case to be made that you shouldn't be allowed to move as you want. Most people would expect that same healthcare to service them if they fell sick and yet they're overloading it by behaving frivolously.

Getting Corona from being locked up however is not be acceptable. It shouldn't be double punishment just because you've done a crime, the government should have to guarantee your safety when they've effectively withdrawn your agency and put you under their authority. Lawsuits are warranted here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Makar said:

Why don't we all say what we've witnessed first hand lately. I'll start. I went to Ocean City over the 4th of July. NO ONE was wearing masks. Large crowds on the beach, nothing. Large groups walking on sidewalks, nothing. Large groups at bars, nothing (and now all those bars are closed down due to confirmed corona cases, shocker). The ONLY time you ever saw anyone put a mask on was to go into a store where they're required. 

Around wear I live, no one wears mask, people hang out and have parties every week, it's basically like corona doesn't exist, so yea, it's bad here, REALLY bad.

Here it depends where. If you were to go to the local hardware store, you are looking at maybe 75% masks. Though it is never crowded and I have only seen good social distancing practices. Shaws, local grocery store, very strict mask and social distance policy. Probably 90% masks. Market Basket, another local grocery store, has probably close to 95 percent masks. More relaxed social distancing, though. Lowe's and Wal-Mart one town  over? Probably less than 50 percent masks. People crowd over each other, many don't follow the one way aisles. I avoid going to those places.

• Like 1

When I look Brazil, India, Russia and the U.S who have pretty much the worst responses to covid globally. Am I crazy to think the response failure could be intentional? I mean the people/person running these countries have a similar mindset. I am not usually a conspiracy person, but are these people incompetent or intentionally doing this.

9 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

And I honestly did not know you could still vote.  I thought you were a resident of Taiwan.  My bad.

US Citizens retain the right to vote in federal elections no matter where they happen to be a permanent resident.

In some states they even get to vote in state elections.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/while-abroad/voting.html

Presumably a consequence of being taxed by the US government no matter where you live in the world...

Edited by arch_8ngel

47 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Hanlon's Razor.  

Had to google that. I mean, you're probably right. 

I'm not saying they created the virus. It's just these people are direct beneficiaries from the crises. I can imagine some of them being stupid enough to not do as much as they could to stop the virus so they can steal a little bit more and not worry about long term sentiment. 

I'm sure you are probably right. Let's say some people would actually choose the route I am talking about. Could two of the four people do it, maybe one of the four? I mean Bolsonaro has no problem burning down the rain forest, Trump has no issue permanently seperating children from their families; these people do evil things.

Just now, Californication said:

Had to google that. I mean, you're probably right. 

I'm not saying they created the virus. It's just these people are direct beneficiaries from the crises. I can imagine some of them being stupid enough to not do as much as they could to stop the virus so they can steal a little bit more and not worry about long term sentiment. 

I'm sure you are probably right. Let's say some people would actually choose the route I am talking about. Could two of the four people do it, maybe one of the four? I mean Bolsonaro has no problem birning down the rain forest, Trump has no issue permanently seperating children from their families; these people do evil things.

We are talking about populist leaders... practically by definition they cater to what they perceive to be the lowest common denominator.

It isn't a reach to think that some of them really are just that bad at what they do.

3 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

We are talking about populist leaders... practically by definition they cater to what they perceive to be the lowest common denominator.

It isn't a reach to think that some of them really are just that bad at what they do.

Trump's base is maybe 35% I wouldn't call him a populist leader. And he can tell his base what ever he wants and they believe it.

Putin I would say it wouldn't be beneficial to him because he can already do whatever he wants to do. The others IDK.

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

US Citizens retain the right to vote in federal elections no matter where they happen to be a permanent resident.

In some states they even get to vote in state elections.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/while-abroad/voting.html

Presumably a consequence of being taxed by the US government no matter where you live in the world...

Yup, one of what, three countries? That's something that should honestly be changed, in recent years a lot of American expats have been opting to give up their citizenships over this, as it's become an unnecessary weight.

1 hour ago, Silent Hill said:

What percentage of people who aren't following protocols (masks, social distancing, etc) are actually Trump supporters? I'm curious because it seems like people are inferring that Trump supporters are the ones who are preventing America from "beating" the virus.  

Have you seen his rallies? And its not Just Trump supporters, I would say people obsessed with “government interference”

Plus you have ass clowns like this on Fox news:

https://apple.news/Arzy8zelSRcufNvEQf5qsBQ

1 hour ago, Silent Hill said:

What percentage of people who aren't following protocols (masks, social distancing, etc) are actually Trump supporters? I'm curious because it seems like people are inferring that Trump supporters are the ones who are preventing America from "beating" the virus.  

I live in a county that is probably split 50/50.  To the south, west, and east are all strongly Trump country.  Any time I've had to venture to a store in one of these areas (not too often) the amount of people not wearing masks increases dramatically.  Even worse it's typically older people, like 45+ not wearing them.  Also look at the states blowing up, for the most part they are pretty red states, I don't think it's a stretch to draw that conclusion, but honestly it doesn't matter.  Enough people are behaving selfishly and putting everyone they come into contact with at risk, and that's got to stop regardless of any beliefs.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Silent Hill said:

I know several die hard Trump supporters who wear masks in public. As a generalization, I believe the root cause is millennials and Zoomers who think they're invincible and don't care at all about the virus and the possibility they could spread it to others.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Doctornick said:

I live in a county that is probably split 50/50.  To the south, west, and east are all strongly Trump country.  Any time I've had to venture to a store in one of these areas (not too often) the amount of people not wearing masks increases dramatically.  Even worse it's typically older people, like 45+ not wearing them.  Also look at the states blowing up, for the most part they are pretty red states, I don't think it's a stretch to draw that conclusion, but honestly it doesn't matter.  Enough people are behaving selfishly and putting everyone they come into contact with at risk, and that's got to stop regardless of any beliefs.

What about California? How are they doing? 

7 minutes ago, Californication said:

California is getting worse, but the main areas that are getting worse are heavy Republican districts. I was actually kind of surprised how much the stupidity is crossing the economic classes.

Yep. Mostly out in the valley and desert.  But honestly, theres idiots everywhere.
I dont get far out of the bay area much, but I havent personally seen anyone who is aggressively “anti-mask”. 

Last time I checked, our per capita rate was 14 out of 50, which considering the size, population and amount of international trade/travel and industry is pretty impressive. 

Cali represent!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Doctornick said:

Not great, but nice try.  Check the population vs case count of California, Florida, Texas, and Arizona and then try again.

Don't have time for that, I just looked at the map that had been posted earlier.

If we really want to see how places are comparatively doing, we should be examining population versus case count, as well as other influencing factors (such as ones Corey mentioned above), cranking out some stats for states, and countries, if we really want to draw accurate comparisons about how well places are doing.

10 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Don't have time for that, I just looked at the map that had been posted earlier.

If we really want to see how places are comparatively doing, we should be examining population versus case count, as well as other influencing factors (such as ones Corey mentioned above), cranking out some stats for states, and countries, if we really want to draw accurate comparisons about how well places are doing.

I'll give you a hint, they are doing much worse.  I can't make you look up the statistics though.  Just know that more than enough people across the country are refusing to wear masks (selfish pieces of garbage) so our numbers continue to climb at a ludicrous and totally preventable rate.

49 minutes ago, Doctornick said:

I'll give you a hint, they are doing much worse.  I can't make you look up the statistics though.  Just know that more than enough people across the country are refusing to wear masks (selfish pieces of garbage) so our numbers continue to climb at a ludicrous and totally preventable rate.

Worse than everywhere else in the world? Like I said, it would be very interesting to do a full comparison across the board.

Editorials Team · Posted
25 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Worse than everywhere else in the world? Like I said, it would be very interesting to do a full comparison across the board.

Dude, what possible metric do you hope to see that would say the US is anything other than one of the world's worst trainwrecks as far as handling this thing goes?

Screenshot_20200715-205835.png