IGNORED

Do you think a Gamestop bankruptcy and complete shutdown will revive yard sale pickups?

On 1/31/2020 at 6:58 AM, TDIRunner said:

It's pretty much the opposite.  The cost of the carts goes up as the games become bigger and require more space.  That is the main reason why some games come on the cart, but require the rest to be downloaded.  The publishers want to use the smaller and cheaper carts and just make the rest of the game a digital download.  It's also a contributing factor to why physical Switch games are more expensive most of the time.  And since Nintendo requires the digital games to be priced the same as the physical games, it also causes their digital games to be more expensive most of the time.

yeah in an economical standpoint for sure if they are using a set size for all their carts and push a required dl since everything is turning digital. It wouldn't be so bad if some games cost a little more if they made a bigger cart kinda like back in the day when some carts were bigger with "more megs of power!" or had a special chip in it like the FX chip for some snes games. They could always use a marketing gimmick and say "Now with 256gigs of power!". It would be worth it if a dl isn't required to play it without any downloads or even have extra room on the cart specifically for extra dl for that game only(That is highly unlikely but would be cool). I think even one day simply just playing a game off of the disc/cart will actually be a selling point marketing wise to buy that game since majority of them it will say "Download required". I mean that sounds weird but for the future generation its gonna be the norm.

9 hours ago, gamingsuperhero said:

yeah in an economical standpoint for sure if they are using a set size for all their carts and push a required dl since everything is turning digital. It wouldn't be so bad if some games cost a little more if they made a bigger cart kinda like back in the day when some carts were bigger with "more megs of power!" or had a special chip in it like the FX chip for some snes games. They could always use a marketing gimmick and say "Now with 256gigs of power!". It would be worth it if a dl isn't required to play it without any downloads or even have extra room on the cart specifically for extra dl for that game only(That is highly unlikely but would be cool). I think even one day simply just playing a game off of the disc/cart will actually be a selling point marketing wise to buy that game since majority of them it will say "Download required". I mean that sounds weird but for the future generation its gonna be the norm.

The bolded part is the issue.  Most people wouldn't agree that it would be worth it.  Most people would want the MUCH cheaper version that includes digital downloads.  I'm not saying it's right, but that's the reality.  

22 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

The bolded part is the issue.  Most people wouldn't agree that it would be worth it.  Most people would want the MUCH cheaper version that includes digital downloads.  I'm not saying it's right, but that's the reality.  

Most people don’t even buy physical games anymore. The market for physical is shrinking. Look at the sales data, look at the print runs even AAA publishers are doing. Outside of some big hits the numbers are much smaller than the PS2 / GameCube era. Most consumers don’t care about having to download stuff. They expect it. They see it as no different from a day 1 patch or DLC or whatever. Most consumers only buy physical games to give as gifts. Those of us who insist on buying everything physical are a niche market. Don’t let the vocal minority on Reddit and such obscure that fact. This sort of thing is going the way of vinyl records - boutique.

54 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

Most people don’t even buy physical games anymore.

I'm not so sure I agree. This is the narrative we often see but working in a game store for many years made me realize how many low income families will wait for a game to drop in price before purchasing it. Digital files tend not to drop in price unless there is a sale. However hard copies can get cheap real fast. For example Far Cry Primal is still $19.99 on Gamestop website but the digital is still $49.99. 

So I'd say there is still a huge market for pre-owned physical games. I will agree though that the market is shrinking, however, I don't think it's as much as some people think, and I don't think physical game buyers are a niche yet.

On 2/2/2020 at 7:18 AM, TDIRunner said:

yeah for sure cause it comes down to the numbers and the now. Most people don't care about down the road until that time comes and they will be kicking themselves saying "why didn't they make this playable? the servers don't exist anymore? stupid downloadable content.."  i guess we will have to wait and see.

• 4 weeks later...

Some screens have finally leaked of the new Gamestop store concepts that are being demoed in Oklahoma with promising results.  I'd expect to see more Gamestop sales as they blow out old inventory, close under performing stores and slowly transition to this concept.

Article:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-02-24-gamestops-concept-stores-a-laboratory-not-a-hail-mary

Screens:

The Social Concept Store.  Fortnight / online competitive gaming / e-tournaments / etc.

All of the GameStop concept stores have reduced the level of noise from product and advertisements, and focus on videos and trailers over posters or signs

Tabletop / Retro store concept

GameStop wants its concept stores to be social and community gathering spaces, and is already seeing unexpected success in that vein on the tabletop side

Collectibles concept (Think ThinkGeek)

"Gamestop 2.0" - A Retail Rennaissance, Pt.1

Time will tell about the turnaround, but I like them going towards the "Apple Store" concept for games instead of spinning off into other electronics like they tried with phones. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, epiclotus said:

I like the look of the redesigned stores, especially if they implement those gaming areas in most of the locations.  That would be pretty slick, and it would definitely get me in their store more.  I wonder how they plan to monetize that, pay by the half hour or something?

All speculation at this point but article said something like free to play 15 minutes (think demo) then you can buy the game or purchase by the hour / etc.  

13 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I can only think of a couple stores around here that are large enough to entertain this idea.

The retro store concept I posted is in a small square footage store.  Gamestop average lease length is also only about 18 months right now so they should be able to close a lot of stores that aren't able to adjust to this concept.  It also would make sense from a cost perspective too as remodeling a store takes time and money. 

I don't know those concepts look very high risk to me.  I like the idea of them supporting table top stuff to some extent, but demo areas with computers and retro consoles? 

That would take significant capital to build/structure with just the hope that it would gain customers/sales.  Then the technical support, staffing support...yeah I really don't get a warm fuzzy with this.  How are they going to police it...there will be grips of minors there to play demos and not buy anything...just saying.

My local gamestops already seem understaffed and this really feels like a huge stretch to me (and I'm not a gamestop hater by any means).

8 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Adding a mall daycare and removing more games won’t bring me in, but I’m not the average Gamestop guy I guess.

I initially mis-read that entirely. I read that as "mail in daycare"

So I got to thinking....How would that even work?

"announcer: Are you tired of dropping your child off at daycare????

"tired parents: sigh.....yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessss....... "

"announcer: We've got just the thing! Send your kids through the mail to our daycare in abudabi!"

(note: I don't condone mail in daycares)

I think if gamestop had gone out of business it would leave a vacuum which would be filled by mom and pop shops, but only if another business didn't take its place first.

Thrift stores and yard sales would not be revived beyond the occasional more than there was.

Yard sales generally have different factors to them I think, games just add more content to them rather than older clothes.

Edited by kuriatsu

I live in a pretty rural area, and there have been a bunch of independent game store closures lately.  One retired (presumably business was fine), but another went under without notice, and now a third is closing after only being open about six months due to low volume sales.  The closest one to me (a fourth store) has basically dropped used video game sales from lack of trade-ins; they're now primarily a tabletop game store.  The nearest full-on used game store is now just over an hour and a half drive away.  As much as I would love mom and pop shops to come back, my anecdotal experience suggests there's not much market left.  I don't think most people care about playing real hardware or carts anymore, as it's too easy and too free to download an illegal ROM.  

• Like 1

The GameStop redesign reminds me of the Microsoft store I went to in London. On the top floor they had a whole giant room set up with rows of Xbox One systems and gaming monitors. You just sit down in one of the comfy gaming chairs and download anything you want to play from the Xbox live store.

I must of been in there a good hour plus, I was playing Perfect Dark on Rare Replay for a while, but they stopped me because they said violent games weren't allowed. Then I switched over to Banjo Kazzoie, it was a pretty awesome way to kill time while my wife was clothes shopping.

I guess the only problem is, I didn't actually BUY anything, and if they had asked me for money I would have probably just moved on. Good luck to GameStop, but they've still got a mountain to climb IMO.

On 2/28/2020 at 9:01 AM, jonebone said:

Some screens have finally leaked of the new Gamestop store concepts that are being demoed in Oklahoma with promising results.  I'd expect to see more Gamestop sales as they blow out old inventory, close under performing stores and slowly transition to this concept.

Article:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-02-24-gamestops-concept-stores-a-laboratory-not-a-hail-mary

Time will tell about the turnaround, but I like them going towards the "Apple Store" concept for games instead of spinning off into other electronics like they tried with phones. 

I was shocked when my local Gamestop put back up the "Buying used phones banner" last week.  I thought they had moved past that.

Edited by Ryan