IGNORED

Do you think a Gamestop bankruptcy and complete shutdown will revive yard sale pickups?

8 hours ago, Boosted52405 said:

Serious question...for anyone that has Gamestop gift cards, do we know what happens to those if they declare bankruptcy out of nowhere?

I was holding out on like $250 of store credit for a rainy day...wondering if I should start planning out some purchases.

When toys r us declared bankruptcy, they were ordered by the court to liquidate their merch so they could pay some of their debt obligations. From that point, they started clearance sales. They also announced that they would be continuing to accept gift card credit balances until a specified date. They made a pretty good effort to communicate that the gift card balances were only spendable until that cutoff. It was in the media, posted on door signs, on the front of their website, etc

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1

Today, I went to a couple Gamestop locations to take advantage of the Buy 2 Get 2 Free on the previous generation games so I could ensure I got stuff with original case(s).  I saw mislabeled games, chuckled at a Hyperkin Gamecube controller for $35, and had to return a game because I was given the wrong disc.  It turns out the wrong disc had been taken in, but neither employee noticed when pulling the games for my purchase.

Most of the employee chatter at all 4 stores I've been to recently have been about the tech trades.  It's sad Gamestop's business model is essentially a side job flipping tech like we would flip a lot of games!

Edited by broncofantd793
Forgot a word.

On 3/4/2020 at 12:25 PM, Boosted52405 said:

Serious question...for anyone that has Gamestop gift cards, do we know what happens to those if they declare bankruptcy out of nowhere?

I was holding out on like $250 of store credit for a rainy day...wondering if I should start planning out some purchases.

I've shifted to minimal preorders through them and only trade when I know I will spend the credit.  Mostly buying steam or eShop cards with the credit.  I can go into the store and chat for 20 minutes without seeing another customer.  Doesn't make me confident in it's future.  Mines a prestige store too so I can only imagine less popular locations.

Edited by zeppelin03
  • Like 1