IGNORED

"Unnecessary" NES games? (no, not the crap ones)

Hey guys, so my interest in the NES has been a bit rekindled and debating doing the old -SE set. But then I thought.. well, SE is really an unnecessary game since it's essentially WCTM. Are there other games that could be considered 'unnecessary'? The obvious examples to me would be SMB/DH combo pack/or the individual ones, the Donkey Kong 1/2 game.. I had 1 or 2 other examples but they do not come to mind atm so maybe you can list them or ones that I did not even think prior to this thread?

And please don't argue in the thread 🙂

6 minutes ago, RH said:

How different is Nintendo Tetris vs. TENGEN Tetris? Legit asking.  I've only played the Nintendo one a couple times and I've never played TENGENs version.

Quite a bit.

Graphics, obviously. Tengen adds two player options, head to head and cooperative. Different music.

Nintendo IMO is nicer to look at (Tengen grays out pieces when they set, and I don't like that.) The big Tetris tourneys all use the Nintendo version. Arch_8ngel can probably go more into depth about why.

22 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

Are there other games that could be considered 'unnecessary'?

The combo carts are all obvious ones. Super Spike V'Ball/Nintendo World Cup, the Sesame Street one (why that needed a combo is beyond me.) Maybe some of the reissues, like Metroid?

Edited by Tulpa

12 minutes ago, RH said:

How different is Nintendo Tetris vs. TENGEN Tetris? Legit asking.  I've only played the Nintendo one a couple times and I've never played TENGENs version.

Different enough to make it a separate entry, even though the concept is the same.  If you disqualified one or the other just because they're both playing "Tetris," you'd have a good argument to remove all but one of each sports game.

Regarding other unnecessary games, I'd say the SMB/DH/WCTM combo cart or the individual games there and the Nintendo World Cup / Super Spike V'Ball combo cart or the individual games.

7 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

The combo carts are all obvious ones. Super Spike V'Ball/Nintendo World Cup, the Sesame Street one (why that needed a combo is beyond me.) Maybe some of the reissues, like Metroid?

Good call, I didn't even think about the reissues.  That would cover the yellow label Metroid as well as the gray releases of Zelda 1 & 2 and the red label reissue of Blades of Steel.  If you want to get really technical, a lot of the other label variants which weren't billed as reissues, like the additional art for Untouchables, Wayne Gretzky Hockey (3 different carts), and slightly different versions of SMB3 and Punch Out!! (not MTPO).

Edited by darkchylde28

5 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Id also prob say Pacman / Ms. Pacman.

I would disagree there, unless you're talking about the licensed versus unlicensed versions of Tengen titles (another variation I'd forgotten about in the moment).  The Tengen and Namco ones are different enough to be worthy inclusions, even if they're the same game.  As I said before, if you're going to eliminate something just because the cart plays the same named game, even if the gameplay/graphics/etc. are different, you're also helping make the case that there's really only room for one game of each sport since the others are then somewhat vestigial after that point.  Why do you need more than half a dozen football games if they all play "football?"

Edited by darkchylde28
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, darkchylde28 said:

I would disagree there, unless you're talking about the licensed versus unlicensed versions of Tengen titles (another variation I'd forgotten about in the moment).  The Tengen and Namco ones are different enough to be worthy inclusions, even if they're the same game.  As I said before, if you're going to eliminate something just because the cart plays the same named game, even if the gameplay/graphics/etc. are different, you're also helping make the case that there's really only room for one game of each sport since the others are then somewhat vestigial.

Is Namco Pacman any different from Tengen?  I dont think there is.  I know Ms Pacman Tengen has 2 players but Namco doesnt.

Just now, guitarzombie said:

Is Namco Pacman any different from Tengen?  I dont think there is.  I know Ms Pacman Tengen has 2 players but Namco doesnt.

Pac-Man is the same.

Ms. Pac-Man is vastly different. Namco plays really slow. Tengen uses a scrolling maze on default to speed up the gameplay to arcade levels. It also has additional options, such as speed boost, maze choice, and co-op modes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

2 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Pac-Man is the same.

Ms. Pac-Man is vastly different. Namco plays really slow. Tengen uses a scrolling maze on default to speed up the gameplay to arcade levels. It also has additional options, such as speed boost, maze choice, and co-op modes.

Wasn't aware of this, as I haven't ever spent that much time with them.  Apparently the title screen is really the only difference, as Tengen ported Namco's Famicom version over to the NES for US release, then Namco re-released their own version afterward, as well as their own version of Ms. Pac-Man, while Tengen programmed their own Ms. Pac-Man.  So Namco Pac-Man was a repeat and would qualify, but the Ms. Pac-Man versions would both stay since they differ substantially more than just the title screen.

Yeah the Namco Ms Pac-Man is quite frankly garbage which is sad considering it came from them when you stack it against the Tengen release.  They really went all out to make it worth your money as you have multiple modes and styles of play so you have many ways to play so it doesn't get boring as fast giving it more longevity.

What about games that are clearly inferior ports of games from other platforms? IMO stuff like Parasol Stars, etc. has no business on NES XD
It's a slippery slope of course, as you also have stuff like NES Contra which might look inferior at first, but anyone into the series could tell you it's much better than the original.

On 1/3/2020 at 5:36 PM, JamesRobot said:

Original Punch Out.  Gotta have Mike Tyson's or you ain't shit.

Wasn't Mike Tyson's the original?

Edited by Sumez

Events Team · Posted
4 hours ago, Sumez said:

My bad.  Yes, Tyson's was the original Nintendo release but the arcade series that it was based on (and the first Famicom tape) is not associated with Iron Mike.  

The Classic Series version of the rerelease has "original" branding on it, which is the one I had.

uTxyAD4.jpg

On 1/6/2020 at 4:07 AM, Sumez said:

What about games that are clearly inferior ports of games from other platforms? IMO stuff like Parasol Stars, etc. has no business on NES XD
It's a slippery slope of course, as you also have stuff like NES Contra which might look inferior at first, but anyone into the series could tell you it's much better than the original.

This one predates the Mike Tyson release: http://www.nvmusa.org/archives/punch-out-gold-cartridge

Events Team · Posted
On 1/3/2020 at 9:07 AM, Nintegageo said:

SE is really an unnecessary game since it's essentially WCTM.

7 hours ago, 98ViperGTS said:

SE isn't exactly "unnecessary" . It's a retail release and is legitimately part of a complete north american NES set. Some people just choose not to because of the price tag, and that's fine too.

To this end, I would say it's the other way round considering the Mike Tyson argument.  Sure, Stadium Events is expensive, but it's OG and World Class Track Meet is the unnecessary remake.  

TLDR: Gotta have SE or you ain't shit. 

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Sumez said:

Lol, it's the same damn game. Doesn't matter which one you have. I can't believe some people.

Right.  Owning both is redundant.  So which is unnecessary? 

I don't really have a dog in the race on this one.  I personally feel they belong in the crap games pile.