IGNORED

Beat every Game Boy game - 2020 - 225/497

Splain

Beat Monopoly. It's a pain in the butt. Usually when I play Monopoly it is super casual. The opponents in this are constantly mortgaging, un-mortgaging, proposing trades, blah blah blah. It is a grind that takes way longer than it needs to. The menuing is also kind of awkward. Would be fun to play with another real person, but the computer is booooring.

IMG_20200412_170201521 (1).jpg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2020 - 121/497
Editorials Team · Posted
10 hours ago, Andykin Skysk8r said:

Out of curiosity has the GB library ever come close to being beaten in a year? I remember there were some absolutely brutal games on it, I think there was this TMNT game that seemed in the league of Battletoads difficulty.

No, we've never even hit halfway. Lots of games have never been beaten, but there are a handful of players here who try to knock out a few unbeaten titles every year. Some are already known to be absolute dogs, like you say. One of these years though, we'll build up enough momentum to attract lots of players and have a really good year. Maybe this year!

• Like 1

Fist of the North Star completed

I don't know much about the anime. That's not really my jam. This is a very early fighter game, and it shows. It is seriously lacking in moves, and the AI is dumb as bricks. Can't give it too much grief knowing how early this one is, but it provided no real challenge. I just spammed the projectiles, mostly, and the enemy just stood and received them. Kinda lame.

Fist of the North Star complete.jpg

• Like 1

Trax complete

This is a very simple shoot em up game, but it was fun for what it is. You press B to fire and A rotates your gun turret. It's a nice function, but having to mash A all the time to get your gun pointing the direction you want is annoying. I wish there was some indication that you are hitting the bosses, especially. There are power ups and life scattered all around. I breezed through most of it, but lost a couple lives on the final boss, mostly because you're scrunched down into the bottom portion of the screen. Still, a fun fast play through.

trax.jpg

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, BriGuy82 said:

It took me close to three straight hours to beat Cosmo tank. I started freaking out a little bit because I thought my batteries were gonna die.  That game needed a password system in the worst way. I'm never gonna attempt to complete that one again. 😵

Yeah I've heard that about Cosmo tank. It's fun enough, with the different gamestyles you go through, but it's just too long for one sitting.

@Drunktendo64 do you recommend the Pocket Go?

8 hours ago, Splain said:

@Drunktendo64 do you recommend the Pocket Go?

@Splain - I am a fan. I have the first version. It handles GB and GBC very smoothly. Some GBA games run flawlessly, some have some minor glitching and slow down. NES is sort of the same. SNES isn't really worth the struggle, IMO. I really like the small form factor. I have small hands, so it fits me, and I slip it in my pocket with em all the time. It certainly has some quirks to it and isn't perfect, but for the price, I can't complain too much. The v2 looks to be quite a bit more powerful and a nicer screen. Should be an excellent device.

Of course, it seems that the RG350 is the go-to device at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, so I'm still alive and actually have had time to play games a bit lately. I no longer think I'll have time to get through 30 games this year as originally planned, but I'm going to shoot for 15.

Anyway, 5 months in, I finally beat my first game of the year -- Incredible Crash Dummies.

This took me a lot longer than it probably should.  Out of the five mini games, only the rocket ship one gave me any trouble. I have a heck of a time with the momentum based movement and you have to be pretty precise on the last two difficulties.  It was far too easy for me to over-correct and crash, or assume I had the right speed going but fail because I was one notch too slow or too fast.  Either way, 4 of the 5 mini-games are all about learning the routes to not die. The fifth is diffusing bombs on an "I Love Lucy" conveyor belt situation and that was the least fun since it took forever.  Overall, even though I struggled a lot with the game, all the mistakes were my fault, so I never got frustrated with anything other than my lack of ability and the prospect of spending another 20 minutes to get to the end to try again.  Thankfully the music in this game is absolutely fantastic, and I honestly think that kept me going at times.  Not a terrible game, but not a great one either.

AMD0fev.png

I'm going after Burai Fighter Deluxe next, but I think I'm going to go all out and try to beat it on Ultimate.

Good to be back.

Edited by Floating Platforms
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
14 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Contra Alien Thing is beated with 1CC Splainy

*Angrily updates list*

14 hours ago, Floating Platforms said:

Hey, so I'm still alive and actually have had time to play games a bit lately. I no longer think I'll have time to get through 30 games this year as originally planned, but I'm going to shoot for 15.

Anyway, 5 months in, I finally beat my first game of the year -- Incredible Crash Dummies.

This took me a lot longer than it probably should.  Out of the five mini games, only the rocket ship one gave me any trouble. I have a heck of a time with the momentum based movement and you have to be pretty precise on the last two difficulties.  It was far too easy for me to over-correct and crash, or assume I had the right speed going but fail because I was one notch too slow or too fast.  Either way, 4 of the 5 mini-games are all about learning the routes to not die. The fifth is diffusing bombs on an "I Love Lucy" conveyor belt situation and that was the least fun since it took forever.  Overall, even though I struggled a lot with the game, all the mistakes were my fault, so I never got frustrated with anything other than my lack of ability and the prospect of spending another 20 minutes to get to the end to try again.  Thankfully the music in this game is absolutely fantastic, and I honestly think that kept me going at times.  Not a terrible game, but not a great one either.

I'm going after Burai Fighter Deluxe next, but I think I'm going to go all out and try to beat it on Ultimate.

Good to be back.

Hey you're alive! I could never get very far in Crash Dummies so I'm glad you finished it. People say this a lot, but I'm gearing up to play a lot more games soon. There's a game of Survivor going on elsewhere in the forum, but as soon as I get kicked off I'll be back here knocking games out.

Sounds good to me. I already have my 15 tentatively planned, and if I can get through it all, there will be 5 more first time clears to add, including a few of those pesky sports titles. So progress may get slow here and there if I have to work through seasons, but if there's nowhere to travel to these days, I can eventually use vacation days to relax and devote some solid hours to the cause.

Burai Fighter Deluxe is done.

I went a little above and beyond what the requirements were.  I learned there was a 4th, hidden difficulty so that was my goal. I beat the game on Ace in order to unlock it (honestly not sure if Albatross would do the same, but thought I'd learn the game on the hardest available before getting into "Ultimate."  Ultimate really wasn't much different than Ace. The enemy's bullets move a lot faster, but otherwise it looked the same to me.  The ending gives a different message as well if anyone is curious about that.

The game itself is okay, but not great.  It was a bit of a challenge to learn at times but didn't really post much trouble.  The bosses were pushovers, although the last one took a ton of hits. Nothing to write home about, and honestly pretty boring most of the time, so I look forward to eventually getting to play much better shooters on the system.

1Bozh3j.png

Next up for me is Championship Pool (I don't think anyone's stated they're working on it yet, but if I missed it, let me know).  I understand the game is a bit notorious, so it'll be interesting to see how long it ends up taking me.  I already know I'm going to be doing the 9-ball tournament, so if anyone wants to take on the 8-ball tournament and race, we can compare endings when it's all done!  What? No one?  Fine.  I'll be in my room if you need me.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2020 - 132/497

No wonder no one's completed Championship Pool so far.  I've been playing on emulator with save states to practice and to also see if the 8-ball tournament will give a different end screen than the 9-ball.  Last night I got through what I thought was the last round, but it was the last qualifying tournament round before the actual championship tournament.

With no save states or passwords, that's a steep hill to climb.  The good (?) news is that there is a way to bypass the qualifying tourney if you fail.  I got a message saying that if you score 140 or less on the first Speed Pool Challenge and then start the tournament, it'll warp you to the championship round.  So, anyone trying this in the future can save a little hassle.

Haven't started putting together a legitimate run yet, but may try the real hardware attempts this weekend.

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Floating Platforms said:

No wonder no one's completed Championship Pool so far.  I've been playing on emulator with save states to practice and to also see if the 8-ball tournament will give a different end screen than the 9-ball.  Last night I got through what I thought was the last round, but it was the last qualifying tournament round before the actual championship tournament.

With no save states or passwords, that's a steep hill to climb.  The good (?) news is that there is a way to bypass the qualifying tourney if you fail.  I got a message saying that if you score 140 or less on the first Speed Pool Challenge and then start the tournament, it'll warp you to the championship round.  So, anyone trying this in the future can save a little hassle.

Haven't started putting together a legitimate run yet, but may try the real hardware attempts this weekend.

Yeah, I remember trying that game a while ago, and I just couldn't do it, lol. Good tip though. I should resurrect the strategies thread so I can add that.

On 5/28/2020 at 7:43 PM, Splain said:

Yeah, I remember trying that game a while ago, and I just couldn't do it, lol. Good tip though. I should resurrect the strategies thread so I can add that.

I'm happy to contribute as much as I can if you do!  I just finished doing the 8-ball championship tournament on emulator and there are technically different endings there. After you win, you are interviewed and can check various different dialogue options.  I found two different end screens depending on which answers you give.  I don't think the 9-ball tournament will have a different overall ending, so I'll show them off when I finally put the game to rest.  Biggest concern right now is finding a large enough block of time to make a few solid efforts on real hardware.  Didn't have a chance this past weekend, but hopefully this coming one will work. I would love to move on already!

Editorials Team · Posted
11 hours ago, Floating Platforms said:

After you win, you are interviewed and can check various different dialogue options.  I found two different end screens depending on which answers you give.

What??? I didn't know that was in there. Huh.

I'm planning to put up a GBC completion thread (that doesn't reset every year) and then I'll dig up all the GB strategies we gathered and post them. There's a lot of blank entries, so it would be great for any of us with GB games to go through and fill it out.

Alright, I am abandoning Championship Pool for the time being.  I realize I simply don't have enough time right now to devote to a real attempt. Have another rough patch hitting.  So, when I can get back to playing, I'm switching it out with Penguin Wars.

One additional piece of good news I learned for Championship Pool is that if you score 140 or less in Speed Pool to get the warp (which took me about 3 hours of trying), it will stay in effect as long as the system stays on.  If I can reach a point in my life where I can leave the SNES on and consistently come back to try more, I'll try to knock this out.  The speed pool path will definitely be the way to go, though. If you win the entire regional one, but fail the championship tournament the you have to replay the regional.  No contest between that and  spending a bit of time to unlock the warp.

• Like 2