IGNORED

Beat every Game Boy game - 2020 - 225/497

Splain

Tetris 2 puzzle mode is done!

0R1Ma1o.png

For Puzzle Mode, it does indeed tell you that you have the minimum number of moves by giving you a "perfect" message after beating it and this diamond icon to the right of the number.  You can also figure out how many moves are needed because the starting blocks for the level will be the same each time until you go over par. If you're retrying and you see something different on that level, you're no longer eligible for that perfect.

I can also, hopefully, confirm that there are only 30 puzzles in the GB version.  I didn't get perfect scores in order. The menu system is a little weird, but you can back out, it will show you the menu of your current progress, then it takes you to the original stage select screen with music choices.  My last 2 were #20 and #28.  After that, I did level 30 again just to make sure that getting all perfects on the last level didn't unlock anything secret.  Pretty sure this is it for puzzle mode!

Having never touched this game, and only reading the manual (glad I did to learn about the 6-in-a-row clear), I had a great time with the puzzles.  They were a nice mix of difficulty and I only got really hung up on about 3 or 4. I pulled through without looking up any solutions at all, which was a nice feeling of accomplishment.  Since there don't seem to be passwords and I don't think the game has battery save, it may be worth noting it took slightly more than 4 hours to get through this tonight.  If you're smarter than me (very likely), or find a guide then it would be a lot faster.

I'll try Normal Mode on Saturday to see what I can find out.  What's weird is that in all my searching, I pretty much found the expected NES and SNES stuff, but for Game Boy, I found a lot more videos for "Not Tetris 2" than I did GB videos on the actual Tetris 2.  I see there's a level select on GB for Normal mode that goes up to 30. I can at least try to get through those levels and play it by ear.

• Like 2

It may be the age of the article. Leaks have been coming out over weeks and months, with this being dubbed "gigaleak 3" where I've seen it. The package is a small bevy of game boy games which were apparently finished and sent in for approval by nintendo, and for whatever reason they were never officially released (most of them seem to be that anyway, though I saw a few that definitely were released, so not sure what that's about). Some of the more interesting titles are ones that were localized for release in different markets but never saw release, such as daikatana for GBC localized for US release (the key difference from casual boot-up is that no Euro languages are available from the boot menu). Most interesting to me is the presence of some games that were apparently finished but cancelled, such as a release of Tomato Head Adventures on GBC (I believe that game was developed on GBC and then moved to GBA) or, perhaps the crown jewel of them all, the finished and release-ready Pokemon Picross, a game which was demoed at SpaceWorld 97 alongside the famous gold and silver betas, but apparently cancelled, despite the game apparently being completely finished.

You should definitely take a look if you can. It's an interesting pack of stuff.

I've been playing The Final Fantasy Legend every now and then over the past few weeks and I just got to the end of world 4, so very close to the end of the game. I wanted to go back into the subway dungeon, where you fight Su-Zaku, to pick up a few treasure chests that I've missed. So I've been going through that dungeon, saving midway in there and just minding my own business, when I noticed that something was off. There's a long hallway that connects two rooms with one another where you initially had to go from left to right to make it to the boss. But since I just wanted the treasure I went to the left to leave the dungeon. But whenever I walked through the left door I was put back into the room on the right! This is basically a never-ending loop that doesn't let me exit the dungeon! I can't even go to the boss area since that's also locked. There are also no items that let you exit the dungeon or teleport somewhere else. And since I've saved there with only one save file on the game I can not load an older file and get out of there. I'm completely trapped and my roughly 10 hours of playtime are seemingly wasted. I'm so frustrated. I can't even find anything on the internet that mentions this problem, bug or whatever it is. How did this even pass playtesting and how come that seemingly no one else has experienced this?

In case anybody cares:

Edited by Gaia Gensouki
  • Wow! 1

That's pretty bizarre, Gaia. I will say, I have seen my own game-breaking glitches in the Final Fantasy Legend series (I had once a cartridge which shut itself off randomly, then reloaded with nonsensical party stuck at the first world map with no way to get to any location), but I can't say I've ever seen that happen. Sorry to see you run into bad luck like that. My only advice I can give for the future is to always rotate saves. IIRC FF Legends allows you to have three save files, so what I do is save in slot 1, then in slot 2, then in slot 3, and then overwrite in that order. That way, you at worst lose two saves worth of progress. I'm only disappointed that I can't help you with your problem here. I've never seen that before, and I struggle to find resources online for errors in FF Legend, so you may not have much luck, sorry to say. That really sucks, sorry to see it happen.

• Thanks 1

I finished the Kwirk "Going Up" 30 tonight.  This was one of a few games that constituted the first gameboy games I ever bought about 3 years ago, got excited about this one right away; probably still my favorite out of the small collection I have.  Haven't yet had the chance to mess around with the 2 more pricey sequels, Spud's Adventure and Amazing Tater.

Kwirk Going Up Ending.png

• Like 2

Thanks, @koifish. Unfortunately the first game has only one save file, so there doesn't seem to be any possibility for me to get out of there. I usually do save file rotation on other games that allow it. I was really desperate and tried all sorts of things to maybe trigger something, when I stumbled across another "surprise feature". It occurs when you try to go through a door, quickly save, reset and reload the game. I managed to get out of the boundaries, but even that didn't help me.

I'm also surprised time and time again at how broken most of the early Squaresoft games were. Pretty much any one of their games has a huge list of things that are not working properly, game breaking bugs etc. But it seems like outside of their most popular games, such as FF, there is hardly any documentation on bugs. Your bug also sounds horrifying.

Editorials Team · Posted

@Gaia Gensouki that... suuuucks. I hate having to play a game in constant fear of losing my progress to a dying battery or something, there's not supposed to be a legitimate in-game softlock. We'll have to at least spread the word for future generations.

@PII yeah, I put together a list of GBC games that are identical to their grey-cart equivalents, in anticipation of putting up a GBC completion thread, which... I still haven't done. I blame the pandemic, which has monkey-wrenched a lot of my personal projects. But it should be pretty quick to put up that thread still. I found Montezuma's Return to be one of those identical-twin titles, so you're welcome to use either cart. I should get that thread up before you play it, so that you can count it on both.

I'm most of the way through Ultima: Runes of Virtue. I sway back and forth between thinking it's a good game and a bad one. These later dungeons get really convoluted, full of legitimate dead-ends that you have to ankh out of (you start the game with an Ankh item that can warp you to the main castle at any time... something FF Legend needs) and mysterious switches that do random off-screen things, leading me to solve puzzles with no clue how I did them. But I keep coming back to it, so I generally lean toward it being "janky but fun."

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2020 - 180/497
13 minutes ago, Gloves said:

FF Legend is perfect as is and you're a monster for suggesting otherwise. 

Sorry, but the roughly 10 hours of playtime I've wasted beg to differ. Sure, the game is awesome by itself, but if a game has so many game breaking bugs then I can not consider it to be "perfect".

13 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Thanks, @koifish. Unfortunately the first game has only one save file, so there doesn't seem to be any possibility for me to get out of there. I usually do save file rotation on other games that allow it. I was really desperate and tried all sorts of things to maybe trigger something, when I stumbled across another "surprise feature". It occurs when you try to go through a door, quickly save, reset and reload the game. I managed to get out of the boundaries, but even that didn't help me.

I'm also surprised time and time again at how broken most of the early Squaresoft games were. Pretty much any one of their games has a huge list of things that are not working properly, game breaking bugs etc. But it seems like outside of their most popular games, such as FF, there is hardly any documentation on bugs. Your bug also sounds horrifying.

You're right. I mixed up the original with the WSC remake as well as with the later games, which all had multi saves.

The only thing I can think of here is, and let me know, @Splain, if this would be against the rules to you, but what if you looked for either a legit method or a gameshark cheat that would either return you to a specific game location (ie. an overworld entrance) or find one to try and give one of your characters the ability "Teleport" which "returns you to previous dungeon floors" ? I'm not sure how that latter one works, but the way I see it, if you're stuck because of a glitch and there's no way out, then using a benign cheat to get you back into the game wouldn't be a problem. I just can't promise that a method for that exists.

Edit: A quick search found this, a link to a code to apparently give you any ability you want based on the right code being entered.

https://www.gamegenie.com/cheats/gameshark/gbcolor/final_fantasy_legends.html

Looks to be for gameshark. I can't confirm that it would work, but this could potentially be used to give one of your characters teleport. Maybe that would save your run.

Edited by koifish

9 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Thanks for all the support @koifish, but I finally swallowed the bitter pill and started a new adventure. At least I should now be able to do it much faster, since I know exactly where I have to go. Still something that I could have done without though.

Ah, I almost wish you had been able to dump the save first, I was curious about how someone might try and fix that situation in case it happened to others who played through the game. Maybe if you can recreate the error reliably, then let me know how you did it, and I'll try it on my end at some point and see if my teleport idea doesn't work.

Alternatively, @Gloves, you seem to have a lot of love for FF Legends, do you know anything about the error that Gaia encountered and/or how to resolve it? Would Teleport skill take the player out of a softlock spot and to an area of the dungeon from which they could escape?

I think you can recreate this error, but I don't want to try that anymore. And afaik there is no teleport ability available for mutants. Or at least I never got that ability and I can't find it in various FAQs. It seems like only monsters can have this skill.

I think you could try anytime to just go back into that dungeon after beating Su-Zaku and see if you can make your way back once you've entered that corridor. I think you could do this on an emulator without much harm, but I'm playing on an original cart on the Super Game Boy 2, so I won't push my luck again.

You're correct that only a small set of monsters appear to learn teleport (weirdly enough, ones I swear I never saw in my playthrough last year). That said, I bet that a Game Boy game, especially Final Fantasy Legend, isn't going to check very carefully for whether or not the skill you just cheated onto a character is actually a valid one for that character. 😄

But then having just tried it, BGB told me that the cheats on that page were invalid, so maybe they aren't as easy of an "in" as one might think. Makes me wonder now if anybody has gameshark codes in a cheatbook somewhere in their attic.

• Haha 1

Just a short update. I've been playing quite a bit of FFL over the weekend so far and I've managed to get back to where I was before. This bug still occurs. It triggers as soon as you cross that corridor and enter into the room with the spiked floor. Once you do that, there's no turning back. This also occured when I switched to my GBA. So it isn't an issue with the SGB either, just with the game. I've quickly edited this map that I took from GameFAQs to show where exactly it occurs.

On a side note: I love the coloring on the GBA. It looks so beautiful compared to the SGB. Somehow they managed to have different colors for people, walls, floors etc. This looks really good. Too bad though that I don't have a backlit screen.

5929.gif

• Sad 1

Ouch...sorry you had that happen to you @Gaia Gensouki

I just had something similar happen with Tetris 2 when I lost about 7-8 hours of progress after accidentally exiting on level 78 (of 80).  The game will let you start on level 30, so thankfully I had time again today to give it another shot.

Tetris 2 does indeed have an ending in normal mode on Game Boy and it is now done!  You follow the "adventures" of this plant boy thing, which basically turned out to be watching him walk across the screen most of the time.  You get a new cut scene every 10 levels until you reach the end and see this:

5NdQxDx.png

I had a lot of fun with the game, but it's far too much of a time commitment.  Starting from level 30 today, it still took me another 6 hours to get through the 50 stages (of course I'm not good at the game, so someone who has better reflexes, etc will get it done quicker).  I'm glad it's over and I apologize in advance that I might have added more criteria to future years once again...

Tomorrow I'm going to start The Pagemaster.  Thankfully that one has passwords!

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

20 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Just a short update. I've been playing quite a bit of FFL over the weekend so far and I've managed to get back to where I was before. This bug still occurs. It triggers as soon as you cross that corridor and enter into the room with the spiked floor. Once you do that, there's no turning back. This also occured when I switched to my GBA. So it isn't an issue with the SGB either, just with the game. I've quickly edited this map that I took from GameFAQs to show where exactly it occurs.

On a side note: I love the coloring on the GBA. It looks so beautiful compared to the SGB. Somehow they managed to have different colors for people, walls, floors etc. This looks really good. Too bad though that I don't have a backlit screen.

5929.gif

So you can't progress again? That sucks.

If you happen to have a cart dumper of some kind, then I'd love for you to dump the save and send it over, I'm curious if it's something that is in multiple carts or if it could even be that specific cartridge that's causing the problem.

9 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Don't worry, I didn't save this time around so I will be able to progress. Unfortunately I don't have a dumper. But that might be a worthwhile investment in the future. Maybe even to save game files in case the battery runs out?

That's good, I'm glad you'll be able to finish it off. If it makes you feel better, the game was originally designed for multiple playthroughs, so you got the "true effect" of playing 😄

As for cart dumper, I'd recommend one if you're a big GB fan. I get a lot of mileage out of backing up my saves. I use a bennvenn joey joebag 3, which works well enough, though I am having trouble dumping a GBA cart save at the moment. That's a story for another thread though. It works well enough with other things I've tried, including GB Camera, which is useful for getting pictures off and saving things you want to send. For example, this pic of a friend of mine.

bgb00032.bmp

• Haha 2

Editorials Team · Posted
On 9/26/2020 at 7:56 PM, koifish said:

You know, we never updated the requirements for Brain Drain from my finding last year that there were 250 levels total.

You're right, thanks for noticing that. Fixed!

@Floating Platforms great job on Tetris 2. Sooo, "Complete Level 80" should maybe be the requirement for that one, since there's actually an ending screen there, unless you think completing the 30 puzzle levels should also be part of it. You're the resident expert, what do you think?