Jump to content
IGNORED

All North American NES launch titles


Mario_Friend1982
 Share

Recommended Posts

So far, I have the following North American NES launch titles:

  1. 10-Yard Fight
  2. Baseball
  3. Clu Clu Land
  4. Duck Hunt
  5. Excitebike
  6. Golf
  7. Gyromite
  8. Hogan's Alley
  9. Ice Climber
  10. Kung Fu
  11. Pinball
  12. Soccer
  13. Super Mario Bros.
  14. Tennis
  15. Wild Gunman
  16. Wrecking Crew

The games I don't have are:

  1. Stack-Up
Edited by Mario_Friend1982
Added Wild Gunman and Wrecking Crew to the games I got.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to All North American NES launch titles
53 minutes ago, DorkOverlord said:

The only one I'm missing is Stack-Up because a) I'm cheap b) I have the Famicom version CIB. I doubt I'll ever shell out the $$$$ for the US version.

I hear you, dude! I've seen how much the North American version of Stack-Up costs on ebay!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still wonder why it even has to be debated about SMB1 as it's stupid.  My word against anyone else's but I know what I was playing on Dec 25th 1985 when it got unwrapped under the tree, and it has been bought along with the (pre) deluxe set and hogan's alley too when they hit the market.  I've never understood the argument.

 

Either way it's a nice healthy chunk of the original library there, interesting choices  (mostly, stack up I get) to not have at this rate.  Am I missing something (or forgetting?) but where's Balloon Fight?

Edited by Tanooki
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I still wonder why it even has to be debated about SMB1 as it's stupid.  My word against anyone else's but I know what I was playing on Dec 25th 1985 when it got unwrapped under the tree, and it has been bought along with the (pre) deluxe set and hogan's alley too when they hit the market.  I've never understood the argument.

The debate is whether it was available on October 18, 1985, or if it was released in November of that year. It depends on your definition of "launch."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, austin532 said:

What's the earliest known chip production date with SMB? That will give us the answer. If it's like 8537 then yeah, it was a launch title.

We'd have to open up and find out.  On boogod the earliest date is Sept of 86 which can not be true.  Its just the earliest they had.  

 

Everyone open up those SMB carts and hopefully its not a blob PCB!\

EDIT - FWIW I looked at the famicom SMB and their chip codes are 8538 so the game at least existed but the product code is HVC (which means famicom).  Im fuzzy but is there a difference between the Japanese and American games?  If there isn't (like with most of those early black box titles) Id bet that the launch title SMBs probably have HVC chips and not NES ones.

Edited by guitarzombie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I just opened up a cart I've had since it came out, never unscrewed it before so it was a bit stuck.  There are no glop tops in there just a small board.

 

The bootgod pic of a PCB/chips matches mine almost entirely, just the four digit number below the larger LH figure is different a little and the 4 digit on the side chip too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Well I just opened up a cart I've had since it came out, never unscrewed it before so it was a bit stuck.  There are no glop tops in there just a small board.

The bootgod pic of a PCB/chips matches mine almost entirely, just the four digit number below the larger LH figure is different a little and the 4 digit on the side chip too.

Those four digit numbers are the date codes for the chips (first two are the year, second two are the week of the year). Can you post what all three are?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

The chips usually have 3 markings on them.  The item code (NES-gamecode-PRG for Program, CHR for Graphics chip), the manufacturer and part number of the chip and date code.  And in rare instances certain companies have their own date code style, instead of the year/week number.

For the odd looking date codes I usually look up the chip on bootgod and reverse engineer the scheme from the examples there. Sometimes they only use one number for the year, sometimes they stick in the month, etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Those four digit numbers are the date codes for the chips (first two are the year, second two are the week of the year). Can you post what all three are?

Are you sure about that being a solid date code?  The PRG chip says 8624.  The CHR 8624.  The 3rd chip 8538 (September 1985 if what you said is right).  I know when I got my system, not that I have the pictures anymore, but I do remember everything from that point to even what pick ups we got the following year out of the black box limited line up (which were Kung Fu, Balloon Fight, Mario Bros, and Donkey Kong 3.)  I'm fairly certain our earliest 3rd party game was Ghosts n Goblins pick up new at a swap meet, the one time my father ever got me a game which was surprising, but more so that his mother who really didn't get or like the things got us our only game too for the following Christmas which was Gradius.

Edited by Tanooki
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Are you sure about that being a solid date code?  The PRG chip says 8624.  The CHR 8624.  The 3rd chip 8538 (September 1985 if what you said is right).  I know when I got my system, not that I have the pictures anymore, but I do remember everything from that point to even what pick ups we got the following year out of the black box limited line up (which were Kung Fu, Balloon Fight, Mario Bros, and Donkey Kong 3.)  I'm fairly certain our earliest 3rd party game was Ghosts n Goblins pick up new at a swap meet, the one time my father ever got me a game which was surprising, but more so that his mother who really didn't get or like the things got us our only game too for the following Christmas which was Gradius.

Yes, they are definitely date codes. They are found on most IC chips (not just in video games). Bootgod has a column for them in the "Detailed Chip Info" (link: http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/profile.php?id=270). Unfortunately, something doesn't quite line up. Your latest date code is 8624 (June 8-14 1986) which contradicts you getting it Christmas 1985. If you are sure that this is the same cart from your childhood, maybe you were off a year? Not sure what else might be going on here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know I never traded my game out nor replaced it, which is why I'm calling bullshit on the date code theory.  I know when I got the system and the game along with Hogan's Alley was bought as extras.  I can fairly well mentally account for Christmas and Birthday purchases by family as I was on a very small allowance, so I'd be stuck with games for many months at a time since I refused to get caught up wasting my time on rentals.  Something just isn't right here.  How about the Deluxe Set itself, what is the date they started labeling the box as such?  The one I got the console was a low serial number and the box did not have it written on there.  I wish I still had the box but I had a forced purge of most boxes I had about 15 years ago now unfortunately as that might have helped.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

  How about the Deluxe Set itself, what is the date they started labeling the box as such?  

It's whenever the Control Deck set was also released, which was the first non-Deluxe package, so they named the original the Deluxe Set to differentiate them. But I've seen conflicting information on when that exactly was.

Edited by Tulpa
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've never seen a chip with a future date on it. The chips were usually made a month ahead of time so 8624 means it was released in July of 1986. @Tanooki are you 100% sure from the bottom of your hear that you got SMB for Christmas of 85 and not 86 and you know for a fact that's your original cart? Sometimes I have a mandela effect and swear a got a particular game on a certain date when in fact it was another.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Tulpa said:

It's whenever the Control Deck set was also released, which was the first non-Deluxe package, so they named the original the Deluxe Set to differentiate them. But I've seen conflicting information on when that exactly was.

I think it was in mid/late 1986. Several years ago I had an unused Control Deck set with the SMB pack in game and it was a hangtab box, but it wasn't sticker sealed. When I was a kid I had the gray Zapper Action Set that I'm 99% sure I got in the summer of 1987. Every kid I knew had that same one and I don't even remember seeing the Deluxe Set back then so I'm guessing the Action Set replaced it along with changing the pack in games from Gyromite and Duck Hunt to the SMB/Duck Hunt cartridge when they did away with ROB and the Robot Series games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...