IGNORED

What non-video game item have you started obsessively collecting recently?

I've always been a huge fan of animation.  Over the last year or so I've been collecting adult and foreign animated movies on UHD, BD and DVD.  I've basically gone down this Wikipedia list of adult animated films, and if the movie has a physical release I've tried to find it in the highest resolution released.  Then, I watched them all chronologically.

It's been quite the journey.  There are some amazing movies that I'd never heard of - the first one that comes to mind is Loving Vincent, a movie about van Gogh where EVERY FRAME of animation is an oil-on-canvas painting.  It took over 100 painters years of work to produce which is just mind-blowing to me.  And there are some movies so terrible you just have to laugh.  I, uh, won't expound on those!

• Like 3

I wouldn't say obsession, but I make it part of my local routine largely as I pass from spot to spot as it's on my path, and that's Japanese animation, second (distant) to that is the rare occasional manga too I'd want to make space for including recently a couple in Japanese (Famicom 4 Koma Kingdom #2 and Space Family Carlvinson #) manga and other books (Famicom era guides for SMB1 and SMB2j, 1 was turned into the US How To SMB guide.

Do not take this as being political or social or whatever spin you may fall into, but I'm 110% fed up with most modern media with movies, tv, and related streaming since they seem to want to pander hard to issues or things most people don't want to have shoved in their face in their personal form of audio-visual escapism.  I find returning to what I enjoyed in the 90s/00s in anime TV, OVA/OAV, and movies hits that, hits it hard and well pushing edges of stuff they're largely too cowardly to do even now.  I have a half price books along my way and I tend to find some utter whoppers there and not at toxic ebay values.  I don't share the 'finds' in the thread here anymore but if you know your stuff I've come across the $50-150 range stuff for a pittance in my area at that store among others and it's perfect.

• Like 4

Graphics Team · Posted

I'm a big rubber-suit monster movie fan, and I've been amassing a digital collection of Showa Era (1950s-1980s) kaiju films and tokusatsu series by running OBS to record them while streaming on Tubi and Plex (or playing a DVD on my computer). Sorta like the modern equivalent of taping cartoons from cable using the VHS as a kid haha.

The video quality is awful, but I like having the video files just in case these movies disappear from streaming services one day.

[T-Pac]

image.png.5e91a5fc40d41a8a074f6019b3c3aa5b.png

• Like 6

DeWolfe vinyl records used in Dawn of the Dead.  I was buying it but turns out a friend of mine has them all except one, and is gonna give me all of them.  Some of them are really rare as he's been collecting them for 20 years so saved me a lot of time!  All I had to do was buy the one he was missing haha.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SNESNESCUBE64 said:

Since last year I've been collecting patches from concerts I've seen. Only ones I haven't seen yet in there are primal fear and gamma ray, but I am fixing the gamma ray part this year...

PXL_20240417_1855056892.jpg.4306b9bff0418e195b3b10df2bb10921.jpg

These are awesome. Do you display them or plan on putting them on a battle vest?

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Aguy said:

These are awesome. Do you display them or plan on putting them on a battle vest?

The plan is to do a battle vest/war jacket. I was waiting to have enough to do it right. Probably gonna acquire the vest soon. I'm not gonna use all of these patches on it though, I just try to get one for every band that I've seen. I wouldn't add the Nanowar of Steel one for example, they were probably my least favorite act that I've seen (they were an opener for dragonforce)

I saw Judas Priest and Sabaton last night, but they didn't have any patches suprisingly at their merch tables, so I had to order them.

Edited by SNESNESCUBE64
  • Like 2

Going off what casualcart there said, I've got every single Godzilla movie ever made (zero aside, not released yet) on blu ray.  The showa era stuff came in this largely oversize coffee book style binder of sorts from criterion a few years or so back so they don't fit on my shelf like the rest, but they're a great watch.  I've considered digging into some Ultraman but I think that's a rabbithole just a bit too big.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2024 at 2:21 PM, glazball said:

I've always been a huge fan of animation.  Over the last year or so I've been collecting adult and foreign animated movies on UHD, BD and DVD.  I've basically gone down this Wikipedia list of adult animated films, and if the movie has a physical release I've tried to find it in the highest resolution released.  Then, I watched them all chronologically.

It's been quite the journey.  There are some amazing movies that I'd never heard of - the first one that comes to mind is Loving Vincent, a movie about van Gogh where EVERY FRAME of animation is an oil-on-canvas painting.  It took over 100 painters years of work to produce which is just mind-blowing to me.  And there are some movies so terrible you just have to laugh.  I, uh, won't expound on those!

This is a cool checklist of films.  I remember seeing a number of Bakshi stuff my friend recommended over the years, but it looks like there are plenty of other neat ones.  I actually wanted Fantastic Plant on Max before I cancelled my subscription and it was a fun and weird experience. 

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Mid century Furniture, house decor, kitchenware, pottery, and Lego are my new hobbies. I really enjoy learning history about items and have been finding a lot of really frickin cool pieces. In the past year I've found:

Tables:
1940's Imperial Furniture (Grand Rapids) Duncan Phyfe pie crust pedestal table

1950-1960s Mersman (Ohio) 29-2 side table, originally had shamrock pulls but were replaced by previous owner

1960s Mersman (Ohio) 3 tier Formica top round teak coffee table

1950s Paul Frankl designed Johnson Furniture Co. (Grand Rapids) Nightstand

1949 Heywood Wakefield (Gardner, Massachusetts) champagne 2 tier side table

19xx White Fine Furniture (North Carolina) drop leaf server

Chairs:
1980s Steelcase (Grand Rapids) Max Stacker Green with white frame x2

1980s Steelcase (Grand Rapids) Max Stacker Green with chrome frame x1

1970's? Steelcase (Grand Rapids) Max Stacker Brown with chrome frame x3

19xx American Seating (Grand Rapids) Acton Stacker x5

1970s Bieffe (Italy) Formed Birch plywood and Chrome drafting chair

19xx Dark walnut victorian style settee

1960's French provincial style ratan settee with pineapple cushions

Bedroom:

1970's tropical mid century wicker and oak nightstand

1960 - 70s sculpted handles walnut veneer dovetail drawers tallboy dresser and matching nightstand (got these this morning 🙂 )

Other:
1960's Raymond Pfennig for Zina Lamp Co (Woodacre, California) turned solid walnut table lamp

Lego got me with the flowers. I never had the privilege of playing much with them as a kid(only at friends houses) I kinda wrote them off but the flowers got my attention, they look so nice! Then the birds, and now 20 or something sets later just anything I think is cool. It's super relaxing.

Edited by drxandy
  • Like 1