IGNORED

Which game do you think is the most important of the 21st century?

As we slowly march towards games being made more in the 21st century vs the 20th century more and more games from the 21st century are starting to earn the title of being an influential game. Which game do you think is the most important of the 21st century (Jan 1st 2001 onwards) so far?

For me it probably would have to be GTAIII, that game has had a huge impact on current games and it expanded on the open world nature of gaming.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

GTA3 is my dog. I couldn't even believe that game was possible coming off of Driver and GT2 on PS. You might as well have beamed me directly into Ready Player One's VR world.

Oblivion is a big runner up for me. It's a big 3D sandbox RPG landmark. It was a big shift in game design from last gen. You never need to think in Oblivion. You load up on quests, follow the quest markers, and zone out for 300 hours of a guided dopamine tour. And Horse Armor was a landmark DLC, the snowball that began rolling down the mountain in the avalanche of garbage video games are today. You can broadly divide games into Before Oblivion ("The Good Games") and After Oblivion ("The Bad Games").

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

GTA3 is my dog. I couldn't even believe that game was possible coming off of Driver and GT2 on PS. You might as well have beamed me directly into Ready Player One's VR world.

Oblivion is a big runner up for me. It's a big 3D sandbox RPG landmark. It was a big shift in game design from last gen. You never need to think in Oblivion. You load up on quests, follow the quest markers, and zone out for 300 hours of a guided dopamine tour. And Horse Armor was a landmark DLC, the snowball that began rolling down the mountain in the avalanche of garbage video games are today. You can broadly divide games into Before Oblivion ("The Good Games") and After Oblivion ("The Bad Games").

I was thinking of Oblivion and horse armour. Crazy how one decision has lead to the DLC/micro transaction hellscape we live in today.

Posted (edited)

I think you could make a case for the Diablo series.  I guess it really started in the last century, but the evolution into World of Warcraft (which did happen in the 21st) kinda kicked off the whole MMORPG genre.  And this is coming from someone who really hasn't played Diablo or MMORPGs at all.  The influence though is ever present, as I credit the series for the evolution toward "free to play" games.

Edited by wongojack

Posted (edited)

Somehow I also thought of Shadow of the Colossus. I guess because I just finished playing The Last Guardian, and was wondering how it could be so bad.

Diablo II is definitely one of the most influential games though 🙂. And it kept being patched officially until 2016. That's 16 years of free support. the game is fine-tuned and well balanced like nothing else in gaming history. the maths behind it are incredible, it is a marvel that you can study for a long time.

p.s. i mean PS2 SotC, not the half-asses PS3 texture-licked version. And not the remake on PS4 either.

Edited by Tyree_Cooper
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tyree_Cooper said:

The game is fine-tuned and well balanced like nothing else in gaming history.

Best skill in the game: Teleport
Classes that can learn Teleport: 1
Items that give you Teleport: 1
Number of Kurast Runs required to farm 1 Ber rune to make Enigma so I can just play the game: 754,305

Perfectly balanced 😩👌

Edited by DefaultGen

I can see the argument for GTA3, but I'd rather go with a game that did something good for video games and help them getting back on the right track.

Demon's Souls (or Dark Souls) is the obvious answer.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, wongojack said:

I think you could make a case for the Diablo series.  I guess it really started in the last century, but the evolution into World of Warcraft (which did happen in the 21st) kinda kicked off the whole MMORPG genre.

WoW is more like the aftermath of the MMORPG genre being kicked off.

If you want to look at the game that influenced every MMORPG to come out since (including WoW), EverQuest 2 is probably the bgigest contender. Before that game, most MMOs actually felt quite unique and trying to do wildly different things. After EQ2, there's a bunch of stuff that's just *expected* from the fans of the genre right down to standardized keyboard shortcuts and command line macros!

As for Diablo, it's something else entirely 🙂 Biggest thing it kicked off was the color coded loot trash you see all over.

Edited by Sumez
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Tetris is boring 

Said by scrubs that can't hang past level 10. 😛 

28 minutes ago, RH said:

So far? Wii Sports if I'm trying to be 100% objective.

If we're talking about the grand landscape of vidya games in general, definitely. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

If we're talking about the grand landscape of vidya games in general, definitely. 

Yeah, to be clear, this isn't my personal choice by preference but that one game sold millions of Wiis across the globe and is probably only rivaled by Tetris, especially paired with the Game Boy.  Plus the Wii was a difficult sale, but Nintendo did  what Nintendo does and found that magical, secret sauce to allow the whole package to work and have mass-appeal. 

Did the Wii experience translate well past Wii Sports?  Not for most games, but it did for a few.  Regardless, everyone including their Mom, Dad, Grandparents and Dog had a favorite game on the Wii Sports disc and it was literally a global phenomenon. 

47 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Tetris is boring 

Is halo a decent answer ?

I thought about Halo.  It is certainly worth a consideration.  It brought FPS games to the console after all and made them a mainstream thing in a lot of ways.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sumez said:

WoW is more like the aftermath of the MMORPG genre being kicked off.

If you want to look at the game that influenced every MMORPG to come out since (including WoW), EverQuest 2 is probably the bgigest contender. Before that game, most MMOs actually felt quite unique and trying to do wildly different things. After EQ2, there's a bunch of stuff that's just *expected* from the fans of the genre right down to standardized keyboard shortcuts and command line macros!

As for Diablo, it's something else entirely 🙂 Biggest thing it kicked off was the color coded loot trash you see all over.

I'm familiar with EverQuest, but I think of WOW as achieving something outside of the game itself.  It was popular in a way that other video games could never be.  I guess I'm taking a leap, but I think publishers have been trying to get that same segment of casual players hooked on their multiplayer games ever since.  "What will be the next WOW?" was a relevant question for years until something like Fortnight came along.

Diablo is definitely a similar game, and it also emphasized its multiplayer community for years.  There would never be a WOW without Diablo.

• Like 1

Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm not sure which one to pick, but I think another option is an early, Pay-to-Win gacha style game.  Are these things terrible?  Yes, but whomever invented/perfected the model changed the gaming industry, though for bad.

I can't remember which specific medieval based game it was, but I remember seeing Kate Upton in a commercial for it and I thought it was insane that they'd pay a super model, in her prime, to film commercials.  I then researched and that specific mobile game had already raked in over $1B.  I was wrong--paying for a commercial like that was probably cheap.

Is that the most profitable game, ever?  No.   But these game makers learned that with loot crates costing hundreds of dollars and some influencers willing to drop $10-20k on your game as soon as it launches, masses will follow and will drop $100-200 a month, just to stay in the top 1% of the leaderboard.  It's insane, and I don't get it.  I have enjoyed some of those games and for a few, before I started collecting, I allotted myself about $20-30/mo for the gacha-du-jour for my personal preference.  I was gainfully employed and it was casual entertainment and it was my way of keeping the servers running.  However, when I started looking into the top-tier players and how much money these games make, I was blown away.

Edited by RH
  • Like 2

I think GTA3 and World of Warcraft are both up up there, but I would have to (unfortunately) pick Minecraft.  We all know how influential it already is, but the 21st century isn't anywhere near over.  There are millions of kids who lived in that game for years and are all starting to grow up and become young adults.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
52 minutes ago, RH said:

Yeah, to be clear, this isn't my personal choice by preference but that one game sold millions of Wiis across the globe and is probably only rivaled by Tetris, especially paired with the Game Boy.  Plus the Wii was a difficult sale, but Nintendo did  what Nintendo does and found that magical, secret sauce to allow the whole package to work and have mass-appeal. 

Did the Wii experience translate well past Wii Sports?  Not for most games, but it did for a few.  Regardless, everyone including their Mom, Dad, Grandparents and Dog had a favorite game on the Wii Sports disc and it was literally a global phenomenon. 

Check the sales of GTA V and Minecraft.  And those weren't pack-in games.