IGNORED

Which game do you think is the most important of the 21st century?

18 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Haha 😄 yeah I'd say influence is definitely a matter in importance, i just think if what you influenced was a massively successful predatory business model, it's probably not very important to anyone outside of the few people who made a lot of money on that 

Even if it’s predatory business, a mass buy into a certain game makes that game objectively important. But I feel gamers aren’t stupid, there has to be an underlying premise of why we play what we play. Gameplay and addictiveness in a game are hard to quantify, but if millions buy into it, and unless it’s global mind control, I think you can say the game has something special going for it. 

My choice with regards to this topic is Wii Sports. It’s the only game I can think of that I had a lot of fun playing it, my friends all enjoyed it at parties, and got my entire family curious enough to watch me while I was playing a game. Might possibly be the first game to attract an entire household’s attention? Well at least mine anyway!

12 hours ago, GPX said:

choice with regards to this topic is Wii Sports. It’s the only game I can think of that I had a lot of fun playing it, my friends all enjoyed it at parties, and got my entire family curious enough to watch me while I was playing a game. Might possibly be the first game to attract an entire household’s attention?

Wii sports definitely marked a turning point in gaming, one of the few over the history of video games. The Atari AVS launch, NES 1987 - 1989 run and then 2006 with the launch of Wii. Wii sports might've had the biggest exposure to non gamers at the time influencing them to become candy crushers, angry birds fligers or even more serious gamers later in life. 

How many kids right now had their first gaming experience be Wii bowling? It's probably similar to how many peoples first game was SMB/Duck Hunt. I know that was my first gaming experience. I think it's influence is different than GTA III bc GTA III influenced games being developed. Wii sports influenced a cohort of people to becoming warm to gaming 

2 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Wii sports definitely marked a turning point in gaming, one of the few over the history of video games. The Atari AVS launch, NES 1987 - 1989 run and then 2006 with the launch of Wii. Wii sports might've had the biggest exposure to non gamers at the time influencing them to become candy crushers, angry birds fligers or even more serious gamers later in life. 

How many kids right now had their first gaming experience be Wii bowling? It's probably similar to how many peoples first game was SMB/Duck Hunt. I know that was my first gaming experience. I think it's influence is different than GTA III bc GTA III influenced games being developed. Wii sports influenced a cohort of people to becoming warm to gaming 

I think the topic itself is vague and open for several interpretations. For example, importance can be from:

- How much a game can push the limits of its hardware?

- how unique is it that it feels almost  like a new genre?

- how it might change the thinking of the entire gaming industry, with gaming companies and gamers alike?

- how much global success it can achieve?

So while games like GTA III certainly pushed boundaries with the PS2 console and had the “WOW” factor, games like Wii Sports focused on broadening the gaming community with its simplistic fun. Which has more importance? I think it’s something you just can’t have a solid answer on, so I’d say “about a handful of standouts”. 

Graphics Team · Posted

I agree with a lot of these...

When I picture a 21st century gamer, my mind immediately goes to Call of Duty bros and World of Warcraft nerds.

Minecraft feels like the most ubiquitous game among the younger demographic for the last two decades.

And Wii Sports and Candy Crush are the poster-children for casual gaming and mobile gaming, respectively.

"Important" is debatable, but these are undeniably "influential".

[T-Pac]