IGNORED

Has your collecting changed?

I was once considering complete sets, but decided to pare it down. I needed the space with my pinball and arcade machines. It remains a nice collection, but it's mainly games I want to play, are relevant to me or I owned in my childhood homes. That and my Neo Geo set.

Anyone else's goals/collection change?

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted

It's done so a few times, yeah. I've not pared down recently, trying to avoid having to do so (despite the no job thing) as I legit have like 99% of my personal collection goals completed and I don't want to have to revisit that in the future.

Over the last year or so I've started a very humble big box PC game collection, but it's slow going; I basically started with the one key game I wanted to get in mint condition (Might and Magic VII), and everything after that is icing on the cake. I did manage to get an ok condition Planescape: Torment for $20 hand delivered to my door, so that was pretty excellent.

Beyond deals like that though I'm currently prioritizing keeping my house over game purchases. I have plenty of games to keep me busy, RetroAchievements to earn via emulation, and Oldschool Runescape for when I wanna veg out. Honestly I could basically be set for life right now if I never bought another game again. 

• Like 2

Definitely with collector and limited editions. Was on a good roll getting every single collectors edition for 4 years for the Switch, and then space became an issue. All they end up going is into climate storage due to running out of space just sealed in their box. Did not make any sense. So, I just stopped going after everything and only will get stuff I like now and focus just full-setting standard Switch games.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Skorp said:

Definitely with collector and limited editions. Was on a good roll getting every single collectors edition for 4 years for the Switch, and then space became an issue. All they end up going is into climate storage due to running out of space just sealed in their box. Did not make any sense. So, I just stopped going after everything and only will get stuff I like now and focus just full-setting standard Switch games.

I recently noticed this limited-to-400 Switch CE hasn’t sold out a year later. It feels like the kind of thing that would last 10 seconds 5 years ago. I think a lot of people got burnt out on the sheer volume of “limited” editions.

https://www.jjgames.com/#!/Cathedral-MGC-Show-Version-Switch/p/544555369/category=148553001

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

it's mainly games I want to play, are relevant to me or I owned in my childhood homes.

That was more or less my goal from the start, but it has branched out a bit. I'd like to get one full set just to do it and chose Dreamcast because it's a relatively small library and I already had a lot of the pricier games from growing up. Probably going to sell off some stuff that I don't really care about; namely vita and virtual boy. 

• Like 1

The only thing that has really changed for me is I keep saying to myself that I won’t start another library of games and this is it. Then I go and find some good deals and I’m all of a sudden collecting another set 😆

I’ve found so many great Xbox360 games for cheap in Japan that it looks like I might go for a 360 set now 😂

• Like 2

The speed at which I acquire things has slowed down as Ive completed collections and have fewer and fewer things on the “need” list, but the goal has never changed. Still going for full sets. I always bounce around to different focuses. This year has been mainly the 5200 side of my collection, last year was N64 manuals, the year prior Strategy guides. Next year might be 7800 or Colecovision

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

My speed of buying things has slowed down dramatically as well. Once I completed the full sets I was after the mailman was probably happy to not have to come to my door every day with 2-3 packages at a time. Now I’m lucky if I get anything new every week. I’m definitely buying more quality as well, I am over buying filler games to just complete a set. I’ve really been focusing on NES homebrew for some reason but did also just add Fire Emblem for GameCube as well. It’s really fun not just slagging through a set and buying whatever tickles your fancy. I’m excited to wander the vendor area at MGC in a couple weeks and see what catches my eye. I’ve got a couple things on a list but nothing crazy price wise. 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 2

It’s been a slow trim for years now.  Working through some PS2 stuff these days (at great prices! ) in my FS thread.  I’m avoiding the eBay selling experience these days so it’s slow going.

Collecting level is low right now so I’m mostly just browsing waiting for a smack you in the face deal.  My volume days are over.  Probably.  Targeting a 2038 return.

• Haha 1

Absolutely. I was once upon a time collecting for a number of things, but then I switched to collecting some NFR stuff. These days I am not actively persuing much of anything in terms of console games.

Since about 2020 or so I've been primarily focused on my arcade collecting and repair projects. I've also shifted a lot of my focus to pcb design in the context of arcade and pinball. For now though, I'll really only be buying games I actively want to play.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

On 3/26/2024 at 6:52 AM, Rhuno said:

That was more or less my goal from the start, but it has branched out a bit. I'd like to get one full set just to do it and chose Dreamcast because it's a relatively small library and I already had a lot of the pricier games from growing up. Probably going to sell off some stuff that I don't really care about; namely vita and virtual boy. 

Ya, I have a complete Neo Geo set that scratches that set itch. Totally understand. DC rocks

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SNESNESCUBE64 said:

Absolutely. I was once upon a time collecting for a number of things, but then I switched to collecting some NFR stuff. These days I am not actively persuing much of anything in terms of console games.

Since about 2020 or so I've been primarily focused on my arcade collecting and repair projects. I've also shifted a lot of my focus to pcb design in the context of arcade and pinball. For now though, I'll really only be buying games I actively want to play.

Do you chronicle your PCB design anywhere? I design PCB's at work and would love to see what your working on.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

My speed of buying things has slowed down dramatically as well. Once I completed the full sets I was after the mailman was probably happy to not have to come to my door every day with 2-3 packages at a time. Now I’m lucky if I get anything new every week. I’m definitely buying more quality as well, I am over buying filler games to just complete a set. I’ve really been focusing on NES homebrew for some reason but did also just add Fire Emblem for GameCube as well. It’s really fun not just slagging through a set and buying whatever tickles your fancy. I’m excited to wander the vendor area at MGC in a couple weeks and see what catches my eye. I’ve got a couple things on a list but nothing crazy price wise. 

Oh my mail lady would give me some real side eye back in the day. Especially around 2012-2013 I would have days with 6 or 10 padded envelops with games getting delivered and packed into my mailbox.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Do you chronicle your PCB design anywhere? I design PCB's at work and would love to see what your working on.

Not actively. This is something I've been rattling around in my brain. I don't always want to show off what I doing before it's done because I don't want to get hopes up in case it doesn't finish. But I've thought about doing videos on my process. The only issue is that I do 75% of my development in discord calls with my friends while watching shows or just BSing. It might be something I do in the future.

The big project I am currently working on is a speech board for the later revisions of Nintendo Radar Scope arcade pcbs. It's in the later stages of development.

I also did a few pcbs for my Nintendo Head On N project.

The project that I recently finished was an LED rank board mod for Gorf. The second run of those boards are about to be available for sale.

I do have other stuff in the pipeline, but nothing I am quite ready to show off. I don't typically make threads for my design stuff, I do however have a blog for my arcade and pinball repairs:

Edited by SNESNESCUBE64
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Yes, and I really think it's gonna change again down the line. I feel like that's pretty natural though, everyone goes through phases of what they're into ya know.

Only thing that hasn't changed is slowly working to finish the Xbox set (now 118 away, wooo).

• Like 2

I would love to buy more games but sales on physical games have really dried up. At this point in the 3DS life cycle, it was easy to get physical games 50% or more off MSRP. Now it seems like Switch games being $60 and going on sale for $40 is the norm. Add that to the perpetual bubble retro games seem to be in, I find less and less games I find are worth the cost of admission.  So I'm paying $30-40 for 3DS quality games on the Switch with a box 360 graphics (at best) that will be rereleased a dozen times on better consoles for the next 3 generations. Seems like a bad deal all around. 

Mix that with the MIG situation on Switch and piracy seems like the best option for playing my own games.

Overall, It's easier for me to add WON figures, DBZ figures and movies to my collection at this point than it is to add games. I might be more inclined to buy pokemon cards at this point ffs. Maybe it's the result of collecting for over a decade at this point and accumulating almost 1000 games but it just feels like it was easier to pull triggers pre COVID.

I just looked, I bought 18 games in 2023. That would've been a good month on 2018. It's crazy bc I would buy games if the price lined up with my expectations. I'm not mad about it, honestly. The games that I did end up buying were all relatively heavy and items in my wishlist for years. However, that list is almost vacant right now. I'd love to buy some new releases but alas, it seems like piracy or digital are the only ways to get a deal. 

Edited by RegularGuyGamer

On 3/27/2024 at 8:11 AM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Oh my mail lady would give me some real side eye back in the day. Especially around 2012-2013 I would have days with 6 or 10 padded envelops with games getting delivered and packed into my mailbox.

I worked at an office for maybe 8 years or so and my managers and co-workers never minded when I shipped stuff there instead of my house, a lot of people did that.  But when I was full bore collecting I got A LOT of packages each week and became known as the "package guy".  I always made sure to treat our office managers and front desk people to lunch occasionally and nice Christmas gifts because I felt like they helped me out so much. 

But man there were those days when I'd get a slow boat boxes from Japan though, they'd just ring me and be like "I can't move this box, you're going to have to help me" 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/26/2024 at 8:34 PM, Brickman said:

The only thing that has really changed for me is I keep saying to myself that I won’t start another library of games and this is it. Then I go and find some good deals and I’m all of a sudden collecting another set 😆

I’ve found so many great Xbox360 games for cheap in Japan that it looks like I might go for a 360 set now 😂

It just so happens I have some Asian version Xbox 360 games I'd like to unload, should you want Asian NTSC J versions.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 10:11 PM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Before I had a postal box, I used to get them all sent to my work. This was around the same time period. There's be mounds of parcels everytime I'd head in to work, the secretary was like, "Man you sure made a lot of friends here in Taiwan quickly".

To answer the original question, my collection and collecting habits are starting to change, something that was caused recently as I decided to dismantle my dedicated game room so that I could turn it into an office. This decision was brought about by some other major changes in my life that happened this year, it will be a great year.

By getting rid of my game room, the amount of space I have for my collection has also decreased. As a result, this has made me take some steps that I knew would come about at some point, i.e. paring the collection.

A few things I realized is that aside for the Switch, I really have little to no interest in gaming from the 7th generation of consoles onwards, and even my interest in the sixth generation is limited. So I'm going to ditch almost all of the Xbox / 360 stuff, and casually get GC games that are fun or iconic. Sega Dreamcast I have the most interest in from that generation, ironically enough, so that stuff will stay.

Similarly, I have little interest in the SNES. I will just keep iconic or gamer stuff, ditch the rest. 

• Like 1