• Seen it, hate it
    • Haven't seen it, wanna
    • Haven't seen it, dun wanna
  2. 2. Whaddya wanna talk about next?

• The Simpsons
    • Courage the Cowardly Dog
    • Seinfeld
    • Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I mostly missed 90% of Ren and Stimpy... I might have seen a few episodes, but I barely remember it... I mainly remember it through OTHER kids being obsessed about it and talking to me about Log / Powdered Toast Man, "Stimpy you eediot!", and gross close ups of rotting teeth/nerve endings... I did go through a phase in college where I was fairly interested in Spumco's flash animations and comic books, and John K's blog was a fascinating look into art and animation analysis. Then I learned he was a dating 13 year old girls and a lot of his art output seemed pretty repugnant in that context.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, G-type said:

I mostly missed 90% of Ren and Stimpy... I might have seen a few episodes, but I barely remember it... I mainly remember it through OTHER kids being obsessed about it and talking to me about Log / Powdered Toast Man, "Stimpy you eediot!", and gross close ups of rotting teeth/nerve endings... I did go through a phase in college where I was fairly interested in Spumco's flash animations and comic books, and John K's blog was a fascinating look into art and animation analysis. Then I learned he was a dating 13 year old girls and a lot of his art output seemed pretty repugnant in that context.

He's a completely shit human being for sure. I'd understand not wanting to have anything to do with his output after learning that. It depends on how much you can separate the art from the artist.

The director of Jeepers Creepers is also a notorious pedophile.

Edited by mbd39

17 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

He's a completely shit human being for sure. I'd understand not wanting to have anything to do with his output after learning that. It depends on how much you can separate the art from the artist.

The director of Jeepers Creepers is also a notorious pedophile.

Another infamous case was the writer/director of Clownhouse.   Really good film but the whole episode cast such a dark pall over it that for a number of years the film was out of distribution.

54 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

It depends on how much you can separate the art from the artist.

in his case its tough... the quote that I keep hearing in my head was during a Howard Stern interview where they're ogling a "hot chick" that he drew and John has to proudly add "she's underage too"

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

It has made Clownhouse basically impossible to track down.  Unfortunately (?)

I have it on laserdisc - which I bought many years ago.

It is  available on DVD - Deep Discount has a region 0 import  for $10.  And Amazon has  out of print copies for $40.

Walmart has it for $12.65.

Edited by Tabonga

Editorials Team · Posted
13 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

I have it on laserdisc - which I bought many years ago.

It is  available on DVD - Deep Discount has a region 0 import  for $10.  And Amazon has  out of print copies for $40.

Walmart has it for $12.65.

I should clarify: I only collect HD or UHD

I always thought this show was stupid, even as a child. Went back and watched a random episode tonight, which confirmed my opinion. Never watched it much, rather just brief bits here and there, but it was one of those shows that I always felt "meh" about.

Regarding the creator and the sa stuff, I think it's one of those situations where those who enjoy the show shouldn't have to add some sort of disclaimer trying to remove his or her association from the author. I know in this day and time it's a somewhat unpopular viewpoint to take, but I definitely separate folks from their works; then again, never really saw celebs as some sort of heroes growing up, lol. I prefer to look at the entirety of what a person has done in life rather than focus and fixate on one or two spots.  

Ren & Stimpy was a show that I didnt give a chance because the small bits that I saw as a child didnt entertain me because I was always comparing it to Beavis and Butthead which was always # 1 for me back then, after TMNT of course.  I hope to one day give it another shot as it was extremely popular and see what all of the fuss was about.