IGNORED

Only 5 More Games to Complete your Collection

Are we ALLOWED to say NWC Gold?  That's kinda a cop out I think.

But alas... OP Does say price and rarity are no issue. For the record, I'll leave it off my list.

I'm not even sure I have 5...

1) Little Samson - NES

2) Mega Man 5 CIB - NES

3) Power Blade 2 - NES

4) Final Fight 3 - SNES

5) Magical Chase (Turbo GFX)

There's probably WAY more expensive games I could have picked, but those are the games that I WANT for my collection to play.

Well, play... 🤔  that's obviously a lie because I've snuck in the "CIB" on Mega Man 5. 🤣

• Like 1

I've seen this thread pop up from time to time, and I just don't have an answer.  There are too many games I'd like so even though I'd probably put a little thought into it, I'd probably get 5 games that are high in desirability but it'd still be on a whim.  Well, 4 of them.

After further thought, there is one game that's eluded me for years-- Blue Thunder for the Action Max.  I have all of the other games, sealed.  I just need this one game in sealed condition but since I started looking years ago, I've not seen a single copy, even used.  I think it's a pipe dream at this point, but I keep looking.

Graphics Team · Posted
On 4/22/2024 at 6:21 AM, AirVillain said:

Are we ALLOWED to say NWC Gold?  That's kinda a cop out I think.

Why is that a cop-out? Maybe I'm weird, but I could think of 1000 games I'd want in my collection more than an NWC gold.

I'm honestly surprised how many people are just listing rare and expensive stuff if they only had 5 spaces left to fill. Like - wouldn't you want to fill those slots with something you care about and want to play, instead of a hype game? One of the titles on my own list was Star Parodier since it's my favorite cute-em-up and I've never had a physical copy - not crazy expensive and not crazy rare, but I couldn't imagine feeling like my collection was "complete" without it. (So I bought it when I posted this topic haha.)

[T-Pac]

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, T-Pac said:

I'm honestly surprised how many people are just listing rare and expensive stuff if they only had 5 spaces left to fill. Like - wouldn't you want to fill those slots with something you care about and want to play, instead of a hype game? 

[T-Pac]

Generally, I'd agree but considering that I have over 1,400 games and "collecting" is often more than just playing, that's why I'm in the camp of wanting something like a sealed Blue Thunder VHS tape.

There are certainly a lot of games I'd like to play one day that I don't own and, yes, I am the gamer who prefers to play on OG games and hardware when that's an option, however, with over 1,400 games, you don't really need more games to play cause if I did, I was doing something wrong when I acquired all of those games because if most of those games don't have an enjoyable purpose, why did I buy them in the first place.

I mean, my shelves might be about 15% "filler" because I pick up cheap, excellent condition stuff when I find it at thrift shops, or if I buy a lot of games and Madden 19xx is in it, I'll likely keep it because no one wants to buy it but, still, the other 80-85% of my library are very-playable games.

If I have 5 left to get, it's going to be rarer stuff that I find to be really cool for a purpose.  It's not so much about acquiring "value" but there's a reason why NWC carts are valuable and it's not just because it's rare.  It's because the NWC was probably the coolest gaming "thing" to ever have and owning one of the related carts is about the awesomest thing you could collect, other than maybe a verified original NES and/or PVM they used in the competition.  Even with something like that, though, it's not as immediately recognizable for what it was.

• Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, T-Pac said:

Why is that a cop-out? Maybe I'm weird, but I could think of 1000 games I'd want in my collection more than an NWC gold.

I'm honestly surprised how many people are just listing rare and expensive stuff if they only had 5 spaces left to fill. Like - wouldn't you want to fill those slots with something you care about and want to play, instead of a hype game? One of the titles on my own list was Star Parodier since it's my favorite cute-em-up and I've never had a physical copy - not crazy expensive and not crazy rare, but I couldn't imagine feeling like my collection was "complete" without it. (So I bought it when I posted this topic haha.)

[T-Pac]

There's some overlap there.  If I chose Panzer Dragoon Saga, it's partially because I want to play it, and as of right now I don't have a lot of confidence that it will ever happen due to rarity and scarcity of being a low print game that seemingly will never be ported or remade.

But otherwise, yeah, I'm on the same page for NWCs and Competition carts and what not.  I'm in this hobby to play the games.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
22 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

There's some overlap there.  If I chose Panzer Dragoon Saga, it's partially because I want to play it, and as of right now I don't have a lot of confidence that it will ever happen due to rarity and scarcity of being a low print game that seemingly will never be ported or remade.

But otherwise, yeah, I'm on the same page for NWCs and Competition carts and what not.  I'm in this hobby to play the games.

Yeah - there's a middleground for me, too. Recca might make my list because it has gameplay value AND collectable value to me. But it could just as easily be ousted by a dirt-common game that I want - because with only a limited number of slots to fill, "collectability" doesn't hold as much weight.

And I guess it makes more of a difference for me personally because, since I don't pirate games, if I don't own a title I'll likely never get to play it.

[T-Pac]

22 hours ago, RH said:

If I have 5 left to get, it's going to be rarer stuff that I find to be really cool for a purpose.  It's not so much about acquiring "value" but there's a reason why NWC carts are valuable and it's not just because it's rare.  It's because the NWC was probably the coolest gaming "thing" to ever have and owning one of the related carts is about the awesomest thing you could collect, other than maybe a verified original NES and/or PVM they used in the competition.  Even with something like that, though, it's not as immediately recognizable for what it was.

"Cool for a purpose" is the operative phrase that I 100% agree with, but get confused about how it applies to certain high-end stuff like NWC. Sure, plenty of people genuinely think it's cool, but just as many only see it as the "must have" game because other people have convinced them to think that way (when they wouldn't have otherwise). I mean, if you actually participated in the competition back in 1990, an NWC cart would be the best thing ever. But otherwise it's basically some 90s kid's video-game equivalent of a little-league participation trophy...

I'll admit to some hypocrisy on that point, though. I'd love to have a genuine prototype in my collection, even though I have no involvement in the game's development. But I would only want a proto of a game that I love (hence the personal value over hype value argument), and I don't see a proto making my "only 5" list when there are so many games I'd rather own AND play.

[T-Pac]

• Like 2

6 hours ago, T-Pac said:

Yeah - there's a middleground for me, too. Recca might make my list because it has gameplay value AND collectable value to me. But it could just as easily be ousted by a dirt-common game that I want - because with only a limited number of slots to fill, "collectability" doesn't hold as much weight.

And I guess it makes more of a difference for me personally because, since I don't pirate games, if I don't own a title I'll likely never get to play it.

[T-Pac]

"Cool for a purpose" is the operative phrase that I 100% agree with, but get confused about how it applies to certain high-end stuff like NWC. Sure, plenty of people genuinely think it's cool, but just as many only see it as the "must have" game because other people have convinced them to think that way (when they wouldn't have otherwise). I mean, if you actually participated in the competition back in 1990, an NWC cart would be the best thing ever. But otherwise it's basically some 90s kid's video-game equivalent of a little-league participation trophy...

I'll admit to some hypocrisy on that point, though. I'd love to have a genuine prototype in my collection, even though I have no involvement in the game's development. But I would only want a proto of a game that I love (hence the personal value over hype value argument), and I don't see a proto making my "only 5" list when there are so many games I'd rather own AND play.

[T-Pac]

I think the NWC is interesting because it’s a piece of video game history. It’s literally something that should be in a video game museum. Although I personally only think Thor’s NWC is worth having because he was the winner. 

Retail games don’t have the same feeling to them. 

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
18 hours ago, Brickman said:

I think the NWC is interesting because it’s a piece of video game history. It’s literally something that should be in a video game museum. Although I personally only think Thor’s NWC is worth having because he was the winner. 

That's fair - I can certainly appreciate the historical significance, but I don't think I'll ever understand why people value it so highly, especially relative to other competition and prize games.

I've gotta practice what I preach, though - and just let people enjoy stuff without trying to say they're wrong for valuing things differently than I do haha.

[T-Pac]

I'm choosing rare because I have everything I want to play.

• Nintendo World Championships (grey)
  • Nintendo World Championships (gold)
  • Nintendo Campus Challenge
  • Mah-Jong
  • Air Raid

The last 2 would be complete, there are only single digit quantities of each known to exist.

Honourable mention to the 2 Atari cartridges, E.T. and Raiders Of The Lost Ark which Howard Scott Warshaw handed to Steven Spielberg with Spielberg's name on the title screen in place of the copyright. When you mention something unobtainable, this is the very definition.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

I'd also have to go with some ultra rare Atari games that I would otherwise never own.  But that's no fun because there are other rares I'd want as well:

1. Atari 2600 - Birthday Mania

2. Atari 2600 - Red Sea Crossing

3. NES - Stadium Events

4. Neo Geo AES - Kizuna Encounter

5. TG16 - Magical Chase

On 4/25/2024 at 10:03 PM, T-Pac said:

I own a ton of bootleg games, but to contrast it and put it into perspective a bit, I also own more or less a licensed Famicom full set, as well as over half of a Sega Mega Drive (Genesis) full set. Yes, I will play my bootleg games and official versions interchangeably, Super Mario Bros. is Super Mario Bros. and I am not getting fussed whether I play a real one or a fake one when I own both, well I likely own ten or fifteen copies. That being said, it is a very rare occasion where I play a bootleg game of which I don't also own an original. That's part of the reason that I had the foresight to go for a complete Famicom full set back in 2014 or so, just to respect the developers and companies that made the games that I love so much. 

But yeah, roms and emulation and stuff, I don't do that at all, despite having an everdrive. 

For my top picks, it is really hard to say, but I would definitely put the NWC on the list. 

On 4/25/2024 at 10:03 PM, T-Pac said:

I respectfully disagree with your opinion here. I never participated in the NWC (for context I was three years old when I first started playing NES, was four in 1990 and my older brother is on the spectrum so something like the NWC we never even learned about until years later), but when I first heard about the event, probably around 1998, I was amazed. I saw photographs, and the whole thing just clicked with me, it felt like something I would have liked to be a part of. Sadly, such hype and promotion just doesn't occur anymore, well it didn't really occur back in 1998 either. It's sort of like how my grandmother attended the world's fair, and the things she saw and remembered from then. I would have loved to do that too, but sadly we just don't do things like that anymore, at least not on such a memorable scale with all the hype and pomp and circumstance.

So that's why I chose the NWC. I'd likely prefer the gray version tbh. I'll most likely never be able to afford one, and even if I could, unless I were super rich, I doubt I'd ever feel the desire to drop that sort of cash on a single shelf piece, as I'd rather go on holiday or something. That being said, it is a cartridge that I've wanted for decades, and I think it is safe to say that this cartridge means more to me than just something that is cool or trendy, as I was into this stuff way before that even became a driving force.

• Agree 2

35 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I'm choosing rare because I have everything I want to play.

• Nintendo World Championships (grey)
  • Nintendo World Championships (gold)
  • Nintendo Campus Challenge
  • Mah-Jong
  • Air Raid

The last 2 would be complete, there are only single digit quantities of each known to exist.

Honourable mention to the 2 Atari cartridges, E.T. and Raiders Of The Lost Ark which Howard Scott Warshaw handed to Steven Spielberg with Spielberg's name on the title screen in place of the copyright. When you mention something unobtainable, this is the very definition.

Does Spielberg still have these? Has it been confirmed that these actually exist, or are they just some sort of urban legend?

5 hours ago, T-Pac said:

That's fair - I can certainly appreciate the historical significance, but I don't think I'll ever understand why people value it so highly, especially relative to other competition and prize games.

I've gotta practice what I preach, though - and just let people enjoy stuff without trying to say they're wrong for valuing things differently than I do haha.

[T-Pac]

It’s because it was an absolutely huge video game event that very rarely happens and especially not of that size. I don’t even live in America but nothing like that would ever happen here. It also happened on Nintendo’s first console which adds to the historical significance.

Zoom out 50 years from now. Hardly anyone is going to even care about most of the NES library, but sitting in gaming museums will definitely be a NWC telling the history of a huge gaming event. This is why people value it so highly.

Which other events have been as big and significant as NWC? I know of the Famicom one thanks to defaultgen but I’m not aware of anything quite as huge as NWC or the Famicom competition. Especially in the early days of gaming.

Also, it’s good to question people about why they think a certain way. It creates discussion. You don’t have to agree but at least we can have a friendly back and forth 🙂 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Brickman said:

Which other events have been as big and significant as NWC? I know of the Famicom one thanks to defaultgen but I’m not aware of anything quite as huge as NWC or the Famicom competition. Especially in the early days of gaming.

Maybe Swordquest? I'm pretty sure it had competition carts too

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ankos said:

Maybe Swordquest? I'm pretty sure it had competition carts too

I hadn’t heard of this one but it sounds epic. Although the article I read said the competition never finished and some of the prizes have an unknown location.

I’m sure Atari nuts would be all over it if they ever did finish it and had a significant prize to show for it. 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 3:00 PM, twiztor said:

3. i don't know the name of this, but my local barcade had a 4-person Pac-Man cab where you tried to eat each other. It was always a freaking awesome time. They've since replaced it to one that is less fun, but i want that game!

Battle Royale! Hell yeah, that game is awesome. 

Hm I think I have to seek out one of these:
The game was ported to Pac-Man Museum for a digital release (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Windows) in 2014. The game is included in the compilation title Pac-Man Museum+ (Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch) released in 2022. A direct sequel, Pac-Man Battle Royale Chompionship, was released in June 2022.

Edit: that last one is still arcade cab only for now

Edited by Link

2 hours ago, Brickman said:

Hardly anyone is going to even care about most of the NES library, but sitting in gaming museums will definitely be a NWC telling the history of a huge gaming event. This is why people value it so highly.

I don't disagree with either of you, but I think Splain is saying that it's only valued because other people want it. And museum level is very high up that scale.

2 hours ago, Link said:

I don't disagree with either of you, but I think Splain is saying that it's only valued because other people want it. And museum level is very high up that scale.

I  don’t see where in the PlayStation 9 future the NWC carts mean as much.  It was a nostalgic video game tournament for the NES based collecting community.   It is an interwoven foundational part of the NES collecting story. It matters to NES collectors.  It doesn’t mean that much in a greater video game context.   When you tell the story of gaming it’s a footnote.  Is it really on the level of genre defining releases?  Truly revolutionary stuff?  Or what boils down to some marketing.

• Like 2

On 4/25/2024 at 4:39 PM, Brickman said:

The Museum of the Moving Image in New York has video game exhibits with things like Pong, Pac-man, Magnavox Odyssey, Spacewar, etc. I feel like I'd be about 100 times more likely to see a Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt cartridge in an actual museum than some weird spray painted gold magazine prize.

Maybe when if any of these collectors making museums find a financially viable way to get people to care about their RCA Studio II set I'll be wrong one day.

Edited by DefaultGen

6 hours ago, Brickman said:

I’m sure Atari nuts would be all over it if they ever did finish it and had a significant prize to show for it. 

I would be shocked if there wasn't a boardroom discussion at "Atari" suggesting this with some kind of golden NFT prize.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

The Museum of the Moving Image in New York has video game exhibits with things like Pong, Pac-man, Magnavox Odyssey, Spacewar, etc. I feel like I'd be about 100 times more likely to see a Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt cartridge in an actual museum than some weird spray painted gold magazine prize.

Maybe when if any of these collectors making museums find a financially viable way to get people to care about their RCA Studio II set I'll be wrong one day.

I am talking about the normal NWC not the gold. The gold doesn’t have the same meaning as the grey because it wasn’t used in the actual competition so I can see why it wouldn’t be in a museum.

I’ve been to a couple of gaming museums but they were in Europe. They didn’t have a NWC but they did have some rare items there.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Does Spielberg still have these? Has it been confirmed that these actually exist, or are they just some sort of urban legend?

I'm reading his book Once Upon Atari, here is a photo of him handing over the cartridge. The third paragraph down explains the quick change he made to the title screen.

IMG20240427095329.jpg

Edited by Code Monkey
Grammar
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I'm reading his book Once Upon Atari, here is a photo of him handing over the cartridge. The third paragraph down explains the quick change he made to the title screen.

IMG20240427095329.jpg

Thanks! This is the first time I've heard about this but that's awesome 😎