IGNORED

Only 5 More Games to Complete your Collection

On 4/24/2024 at 11:26 PM, T-Pac said:

Why is that a cop-out? Maybe I'm weird, but I could think of 1000 games I'd want in my collection more than an NWC gold.

I'm honestly surprised how many people are just listing rare and expensive stuff if they only had 5 spaces left to fill. Like - wouldn't you want to fill those slots with something you care about and want to play, instead of a hype game? One of the titles on my own list was Star Parodier since it's my favorite cute-em-up and I've never had a physical copy - not crazy expensive and not crazy rare, but I couldn't imagine feeling like my collection was "complete" without it. (So I bought it when I posted this topic haha.)

[T-Pac]

I think it’s because your collection stems from a gamer mindset. That is, you aim to pretty much play all the games you own. Collections from a collector mindset aims more of adding contents of the rare and the oddities, often mixed with personal nostalgia, without the need to play the entire collection. It’s not necessarily an investment mindset, as the rare items that are well known and sought after often happen to be damn expensive too! 😭

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GPX said:

I think it’s because your collection stems from a gamer mindset. That is, you aim to pretty much play all the games you own. Collections from a collector mindset aims more of adding contents of the rare and the oddities, often mixed with personal nostalgia, without the need to play the entire collection. It’s not necessarily an investment mindset, as the rare items that are well known and sought after often happen to be damn expensive too! 😭

For me it's a historical thing, those are some of the games I want. I have more games than I need, and aside from aftermarket indie and aftermarket homebrew items and my favorites, I rarely play games anymore. I generally spend more time research and writing about games than actually playing them.

26 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

For me it's a historical thing, those are some of the games I want. I have more games than I need, and aside from aftermarket indie and aftermarket homebrew items and my favorites, I rarely play games anymore. I generally spend more time research and writing about games than actually playing them.

Same, I’ve barely playtested the bulk of my collection, let alone played them. Most games I’ve already got on emulation, digitally downloaded on my X360, or can be found in juicy compilations on the various consoles I own.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, GPX said:

Same, I’ve barely playtested the bulk of my collection, let alone played them. Most games I’ve already got on emulation, digitally downloaded on my X360, or can be found in juicy compilations on the various consoles I own.

As an aside, I was trying to explain to my dad once why I wasn't concerned that a certain cart didn't work (it was an obscure bootleg of Super Mario Bros or something, and I got it cheap) and he didn't get it. I told him I wasn't buying it to play the game, rather as it was a rare shell variant or label variant or whatever. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 9:56 AM, T-Pac said:

Why is that a cop-out? Maybe I'm weird, but I could think of 1000 games I'd want in my collection more than an NWC gold.

I'm honestly surprised how many people are just listing rare and expensive stuff if they only had 5 spaces left to fill. Like - wouldn't you want to fill those slots with something you care about and want to play, instead of a hype game? One of the titles on my own list was Star Parodier since it's my favorite cute-em-up and I've never had a physical copy - not crazy expensive and not crazy rare, but I couldn't imagine feeling like my collection was "complete" without it. (So I bought it when I posted this topic haha.)

[T-Pac]

Hmmmm..... Others have touched on it.... but it's a "cop out" because NWC Gold is more like a museum piece, and having it is a literal Holy Grail.

That could be the ONLY thing in your "collection" and it would be awesome. 🤷‍♂️

I'm surprised more people aren't saying it.

I mean, you do specifically state you need to stop collecting after these 5.... so I suppose downloading games for a Everdrive is out of the question.... Which is why I left it off my list and chose games I wanted to play.

But alas... NWC Gold is a WHOLE OTHER level when it comes to collecting, so I just figured it'd be off limits since it'd literally be impossible for us all to claim it. 😆

AND DAMN! Never heard of that game, but you have sold me on it already. 🤣  I'll see if I can find a copy before I have to lock in my 5. 😆

• Like 1