IGNORED

What to do?

Someone has been stalking me almost everyday for the last few months and playing high pitched noises wherever I go. They wake me up all throughout the night.  

I've spoken to the police, I have called private investigators, and I have called lawyers and have not been able to get any help. 

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Edited by Californication

3 minutes ago, Californication said:

Someone has been stalking me everyday for the last few months and playing high pitched noises every where I go. 

I've spoken to the police, I have called private investigators, and I have called lawyers and have not been able to get any help. 

Get a restraining order? Once they violate it the police can act with charges. Stalking and harassment are pretty easy reasons to get it I should think

Edited by a3quit4s

4 minutes ago, Californication said:

Someone has been stalking me everyday for the last few months and playing high pitched noises every where I go. 

Record the noises and then play them back in reverse and at 1/5th speed. The noises are actually a message from your future self, warning you not to listen to the advice of random shit-posters on the internet. 😉

• Love 1

I've tried recording, but my phone won't pick it up. Maybe analog recorder?I have been to the police 7 times in three counties and every time they ask if it's a psych issue.

I spoke to the police in Monterey County because they were doing it through the back wall of the movie theater. A bunch of the movie goers got pissed and left so I figured the police would finally listen. 

One of the officers knows the person stalking me, and after 30 min of convincing them I'm not crazy, he told me that even if they believe me, they have to think about how they use their resources and how did I expect them to find the person. 

Edited by Californication

58 minutes ago, Californication said:

I've tried recording, but my phone won't pick it up. Maybe analog recorder?I have been to the police 7 times in three counties and every time they ask if it's a psych issue.

I spoke to the police in Monterey County because they were doing it through the back wall of the movie theater. A bunch of the movie goers got pissed and left so I figured the police would finally listen. 

One of the officers knows the person stalking me, and after 30 min of convincing them I'm not crazy, he told me that even if they believe me, they have to think about how they use their resources and how did I expect them to find the person. 

55 minutes ago, Californication said:

Can you get a restraining order if you don't know where to serve someone?

Ok, hold on, if the cops "know the person", then they should at least be able to give you their identification.  And if they are coming out to you to answer your 911 calls, then they are already there.

Other than that, the two last resorts I'd give is, first, keep calling the police... a bunch.  Why?  Because the squeaky wheel gets the grease.  If you keep annoying them, but for legitimate reasons, then they will act just to stop you.

Second, and I know this is probably 99% NOT an option, but move.  Of course, to make a difference you'd have to move far enough away so this stalker can't follow you.  Any clue who it is?  I mean, maybe you could move out and away to the other side of town and if you can do it on-the-sly, they won't find  you, but the realistic result might be you have to move away to a state/county where the police actually protect their citizens in all ways in which they have jurisdiction.  Again, I know that's difficult but sound has a way of affecting us and if tinnitus can drive people insane (and it can) so can constant, annoying sounds someone sends your way.

I'd be fore the restraining order route, but I too understand if you can't get the name of the person, that might be a tough thing to get.  I'd talk to a lawyer about it, at a minimum, and see what they suggest.

I’d still file the order of protection (restraining order). Fuck the cops, to go the district attorney (at least in NY) and they can do it on your behalf for a judge to sign off. Once this is violated the cops are required to intervene. 

I dunno though this sounds like a troll post or a psych issue. Who the fuck has the means to not work and harass you 24/7 and what did you do to this person? You sure you just don’t have tinnitus? 

Edited by a3quit4s

12 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I dunno though this sounds like a troll post or a psych issue. Who the fuck has the means to not work and harass you 24/7 and what did you do to this person? You sure you just don’t have tinnitus? 

At least one of these gotta be on point

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Sumez said:

At least one of these gotta be on point

So eh, anything like this happen in a game?  Then yes... I could see this being a troll post.  I agree, something sounds off.  "Flew From Hawaii"  "Followed me to Mexico".  Legit, who can do THAT and why?

• Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Californication said:

He doesn't live locally. The cop knows him from the past, everyone I ask says he lives in Hawaii so he came out here to do this and has been following up and down the state, I went to Mexico and he followed me there.

Think about what you're saying.  Is it more likely that someone left Hawaii to dedicate their life to following you up and down the country, who cannot be served, whose sound cannot be recorded, or... well, some kind of psych alternative?

You alluded to some recent troubles.  Could this be related?

6 minutes ago, Californication said:

I thought it was a joke initially. So I ignored it and went along with it and figured he would tire put. That was months ago. 

And again, it's not in my head because I have seen him a couple times and people are responding to it.

The dude from a Beautiful Mind also thought those people were real, just sayin. Only way to know for sure, lure this person to a very public place and have a friend film them in action. This also silences the naysayers and gives the police something to go on

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Think about what you're saying.  Is it more likely that someone left Hawaii to dedicate their life to following you up and down the country, who cannot be served, whose sound cannot be recorded, or... well, some kind of psych alternative?

You alluded to some recent troubles.  Could this be related?

Yes. It's been going on for months, I can't focus, I can't work, and everyone I know thinks it's funny and are acting like it's my fault for not resolving it.

Maybe his time is less valuable since he is a felon. The only other thing to note is that every once in a while, while he is doing it, people that I have had disagreements with in the past, step-father etc. walk through my line of site or drive by me and look at me without saying anything.

Again, multiple people have acknowledged their presence.

If some dude was doing that to me I'd approach them and confront them directly. You've just been letting a guy follow you around for MONTHS? He could be a threat to you and your family, you need to confront him in a non-violent manner.

Perhaps gather a couple of trusted friends to back you up and hold up phone cameras in his face. Maybe you follow HIM around playing weird buzzing noises in his ears, follow him home, see how he likes it.

Events Helper · Posted

Either way, get some help, see a doctor, ask friends/family someone, please!!!  This is legitimately concerning and I hope you are alright.  You shouldn't have to deal with any of this and should be seeking professional help in some manner.

5 minutes ago, Californication said:

Just to be clear, I have read up on schizophrenia in the past because I've helped taken care of someone that has the disease. This is not that. 

You can know everything there is to know about a mental illness but you wouldn’t be able to self diagnose it because you aren’t neutral to it. Same goes for anyone on this site or anywhere in the world. I’m going to abstain out of this topic but I wish you luck 

21 minutes ago, Californication said:

The only other thing to note is that every once in a while, while he is doing it, people that I have had disagreements with in the past, step-father etc. walk through my line of site or drive by me and look at me without saying anything.

This sounds like having a second delusion simultaneously.

Do you have any concept of how difficult it would be to stalk someone, even within a single city? If you're talking across multiple counties, in multiple states, and into another country, that's totally unreasonably difficult, especially for an individual, and super especially for months on end. Ultra especially if this guy's a felon and doesn't have a job. Where's he getting the money, while not working, to stay in hotels in strange cities for months on end, while traveling across the country, into other countries?

IDK, it doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever, the logistics are just a complete nightmare. I'm with the rest of the group here, nobody is capable of self-diagnosis, especially with something this serious. Your past experience being a caregiver is meaningless, sorry. Hairstylists don't cut their own hair, surgeons don't do surgery on themselves, lawyers don't represent themselves, and psychologists don't diagnose themselves with mental health disorders. Not good ones, anyway. because it doesn't work.

• Agree 1

Events Team · Posted

Have you seriously considered the possibility of it being a mental issue, or have you just immediately dismissed that possibility every time it's brought up/any time that thought crosses your mind? Not a rhetorical question, genuinely asking.

Just from what you've said here, it sounds, to me, like you haven't seriously considered that as a possibility and have assumed it isn't. I don't know if you have any history with mental issues in the past, but if you don't, I know it can be kind of a hard thing to wrap your mind around if up to this point in your life, mentally you've been completely fine. But, issues can crop up at any point in life, especially if you've been through particularly hard times lately (don't know if you have or haven't, just saying that as a general statement.)

Put it this way, if someone is genuinely stalking you, that is a serious issue that needs to be addressed. If it's a psych problem, that's still a serious issue that needs to be addressed. Either way, this is a very serious situation. So, if it being a mental issue is not a possibility you've honestly considered, you should honestly consider that possibility, because either way this is a problem. If nothing else, even if you're absolutely certain it's not a mental issue, you should still see someone who's qualified to tell you whether or not it could be a mental issue just so you can absolutely, 100% rule it out as a possibility. No matter how certain you are, if you haven't seen any kind of a doctor about it, the possibility of it being a mental issue will always be there, and (as has been demonstrated here) people will always bring that up as the more likely option than someone committing their entire life to aggravating you with high-pitched noises.

If nothing else, if you were to talk to someone qualified, and they were able to rule it out as a mental issue, then that proves that some asshole really is doing this to you, which will only make it easier to resolve the situation. And then, conversely, if it does turn out to likely be a mental issue, well then there ya' go, there's your explanation. Win-win. So, I would suggest you should investigate the possibility of it being a mental issue, if that's not a possibility you've seriously investigated, since if it is a mental issue, then like I said, there's your explanation. And if it's not a mental issue and this person really is stalking you, then it would be a lot more difficult for people to deny it if you've talked to qualified medical professionals who have been able to rule that out as a possibility.

My mother had a period of time in which she was certain she was being stalked online, absolutely certain it was someone stalking her, and it turned out to be mental issues which have since been more or less resolved, so I have personal experience with that type of thing happening and know that it can sometimes be a result of mental problems, especially if said person is going through some really hard times. Speaking personally, I myself have also had periods in my life in which I've had auditory hallucinations as a result of mental issues as well.

This advice all applies whether or not someone is actually stalking you. I'd give this same advice whether I believed it was someone actually stalking you, or if I believed it to be a mental issue. That having been said, I do personally lean more towards this being a mental issue, really the biggest thing you've said that leads me to that conclusion is the fact that you've tried to record these high-pitched sounds, but they aren't heard on the recording. Unless the sounds are really, really, REALLY quiet (which doesn't seem to be the case, the way you've described it) or unless you're trying to record it with something that has a truly god-awful shitty microphone, you would absolutely, 100% be able to hear these sounds when you play the audio file back, even if you had to turn the volume way up to hear it. That's quite strong evidence towards it being a potential mental issue.

I don't say that to be dismissive whatsoever; again, if it is a psych issue, that's still a serious situation that needs to be addressed. I'm only saying that you should sincerely try to rule out the possibility of it being a psych issue, if that's not something you've done already. Doing so will only either give you a logical explanation for these happenings, or it will only make the case of someone actually stalking you stronger and more believable. And either one of those scenarios would be good for you in this situation, no matter what the true explanation is.

• Agree 1