IGNORED

Song Debate #10: Pinball Wizard / Something In the Air

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Pinball Wizard

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite songs of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing song. Everyone should hear it.
    • 8/10 - Great song. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional listen.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - Competing with Lil Xan and Blood on the Dance Floor
  2. 2. Something In the Air

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite songs of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing song. Everyone should hear it.
    • 8/10 - Great song. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional listen.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - Competing with Lil Xan and Blood on the Dance Floor

Pinball Wizard is cheesy as fuck, but it's pretty enjoyable. I've never watched the movie, but I actually really enjoy the Elton John version from that, moreso than the original.

I've never heard of the other song, nor of the band. But I like it quite well. On its own it doesn't stand out as anything unique (comes across as very typical british 70s rock), so I'd probably have to dig further into their music to really get a genuine impression of it.
EDIT: Looks like it's a The Who side project?

Pinball Wizard is is the worst if you play pinball. Every time someone learns you play pinball, they single half a lyric from the song. It's like if you told someone like you video games and they consistently went "Duh duh duh do duh duh do" from SMB. Every single time.

Edited by DefaultGen

Just now, DefaultGen said:

Pinball Wizard is is the worst if you play pinball. Every time someone learns you play pinball, then single half a lyric from the song. It's like if you told someone like you video games and they consistently went "Duh duh duh do duh duh do" from SMB. Every single time.

dude 

• Like 1

Pinball Wizard is hard to really evaluate on its own since it was an essential part of the phenomenal  rock opera Tommy.  Tommy was one of those unique (and brilliant) pieces of rock music.  Easily nine.

Something in the Air is also hard to evaluate since it is now so out of time and place.  To really appreciate this one hit wonder  one has to be steeped in the milieu of the anti-war  sentiments of the Vietnam era.   It was featured in the (then) wildly popular film "The Strawberry Statement" - which is now largely non-understandable and irrelevant.  Had a really good soundtrack though.*  Hovered between a 7 and 8 based on what its place and time was in 1969.  Certainly is now an out of place artifact.

*Including this really dynamic version of "The Circle Game" by Buffy Sainte Marie.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Sumez said:

Pinball Wizard is cheesy as fuck, but it's pretty enjoyable. I've never watched the movie, but I actually really enjoy the Elton John version from that, moreso than the original.

I've never heard of the other song, nor of the band. But I like it quite well. On its own it doesn't stand out as anything unique (comes across as very typical british 70s rock), so I'd probably have to dig further into their music to really get a genuine impression of it.
EDIT: Looks like it's a The Who side project?

The Who is classic Brit rock and I can’t believe you’ve not heard them. I mean, no shame but they are like a notch below The Beatles in popularity. They even played the Super Bowl in the past 15 years.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, RH said:

The Who is classic Brit rock and I can’t believe you’ve not heard them. I mean, no shame but they are like a notch below The Beatles in popularity. They even played the Super Bowl in the past 15 years.

He was referring to the latter band

I'm with Tabonga on Pinball Wizard. The song only makes sense as part of Tommy. I heard it on the radio as a single first and couldn't understand why there was a song about some disabled kid playing pinball, then I heard the full rock opera and had one of those now-I-get-it moments. 7 as a single, 9 as part of Tommy.

The other song I hadn't heard in so long I forgot it existed, but on rehearing, it's OK. 5.

Events Team · Posted

10/6

Love The Who and Pinball Wizard is an easy 10.  I'd also say it can stand on its own but the Tommy rock opera would be nowhere without Pinball Wizard.  Still some great tunes and concept but Pete Townshend pretty much shoehorned it into the album to impress a music critic who liked pinball.  

Also dig the Elton John version from the movie and the Tina Turner Acid Queen is a cut above the original too.

• Love 1

Pinball Wizard: It's pretty alright. Nice early rock anthem, but also "there are plenty of better alternatives".
Vote: 4, as in, the sound is ok but I would never play it or buy it, and if I was in a radio market that ever played anything I like, I would change the station; but if not I wouldn't.

"can i recycle?" yeah, duh you can. 

Something in the Air: Inoffensive, but boring to the point of grating. Faint praise at best.

• 2 weeks later...