IGNORED

How Do You Prefer Your Meat? (with or without bones)

fcgamer

How do you prefer your meat?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How do you prefer your meat?

• with bones
    • boneless
    • it depends

So I was at a restaurant today eating soup containing taro, pork, noodles, and some veg. I thought it was really delicious and thought about taking my father to the shop when he comes to visit. Then I stopped and thought about it for a moment, nope, he wouldn't fancy the soup because he hates having to deal with bones with his meat, as does my mother, and many other Americans that I know. 

On the other hand, I know a lot of people in Asia prefer eating meat with the bones as they feel the meat in those areas is more tender and flavorful. I used to find the bones a nuisance, but after being in Taiwan for so long, I don't mind just shoving meat into my mouth, manipulating it off the bones, and then spitting the bones back out into the spit bucket or whatever.

So I'm curious how the VGS group feels about bones in their meat.

I guess it depends on the type and cut of meat for me.  Pork ribs, t-bones and fried chicken are all great and are bone-in.  But I’ll take my pork chop, brisket and chicken breast (cooked any way other than fried) boneless.

Also, I’d say that I want my fish 100% deboned.

Edited by RH

In general, it doesn't matter to me.  I'm fine with it either way.  The only time when I tend to have a preference is with chicken wings in buffalo sauce.  The bone-in certainly tastes better, but sometimes, I'm just not in the mood to get messy from the sauce, and I prefer to eat the boneless with a fork.  But that's not often, and only when I'm feeling lazy.

The only other time I might prefer boneless would be with fish.  I don't mind eating around bone, but fish bones can be a lot more work compared to chicken or steak.

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, twiztor said:

100% boneless. definitely not trying to put in more work than i have to.

i am having a hard time imagining a soup that has meat with bones in it. sounds awful.

The best pea soup I've ever had, literally my favourite soup, has a big hunk of ham with the bone in. The bone marrow especially adds a ton to the dish.

Events Team · Posted

Virtually any animal is always better on the bone.  My favorite meal is a rare ribeye steak and I'm the last one at the dinner table gnawing the bone to the last shred.  Pork and beef ribs are up there too. 

And extra crispy fried chicken is way better than any breaded nugget.  (McNuggets are world class though.)

Don't get me wrong.  Burgers, sausages, and nuggets all have their place and are great, but no way am I passing on steaks, chops, and wings given the choice.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Don't you live in Taiwan? Is no bones even an option at anything except the most upscale places?

One of my favorite dishes in Hong Kong was roast duck or goose, chopped up by an expert with a massive cleaver that could take your hand off in one slice.

Yeah no bones generally isn't the option here, but it's cultural as people prefer bones here.

11 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

Virtually any animal is always better on the bone.  My favorite meal is a rare ribeye steak and I'm the last one at the dinner table gnawing the bone to the last shred.  Pork and beef ribs are up there too. 

And extra crispy fried chicken is way better than any breaded nugget.  (McNuggets are world class though.)

Don't get me wrong.  Burgers, sausages, and nuggets all have their place and are great, but no way am I passing on steaks, chops, and wings given the choice.

JamesRobot is here to remind us of our carnivore heritage. 

• Haha 1