• Final Fantasy 5
    • unsure
  6. 6. Dragon Quest 6 vs Final Fantasy 6

7. 7. Dragon Quest 7 vs Final Fantasy 7

8. 8. Dragon Quest 8 vs Final Fantasy 8

9. 9. Dragon Quest 9 vs Final Fantasy 9

10. 10. Dragon Quest 10 vs Final Fantasy 10

11. 11. Dragon Quest 11 vs Final Fantasy 11

DQ had a two-game head start, so the direct comparison is kinda unfair. But then again, I'll still take DQ1 over FF1, and by FF5 that series had already caught up, so it probably doesn't make a difference 😄 And by DQ11 and FF11, those games are 15 years apart which is actually crazy.

Love that artwork btw!

My complete list:

DQ1
DQ2
DQ3
FF4
FF5
FF6
(I really loved DQ6 tho)
FF7
DQ8
FF9

(didn't play DQ10)
DQ11

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

How is anyone putting FF 8 above DQ 8?!  I've not played all of the DQ games but of the few I've tried, it's by far the best in the series, while FF 8 is often panned as the worst, at least of the 3D Final Fantasy's.

To me this is a hotter take than "Super Mario Bros 2 (USA) isn't a real Mario game"!

• Agree 2

FF1, FF2, DQ3, FF4, FF5, FF6, DQ7, DQ8, FF9, FF10(by default, other is a MMO), and DQ11

I'm sure I was against the grain on some of those, but dragon quest time to get great and FF for the time started out nicer even the wonky way FF2 went as it was.  DQ3 was magic as is 4 but sorry not as epic as FF4 by any means, as can be said for the SFC era of DQ, but then it really took its stride in the 7 and since era.

FF went into the weeds of largely garbage fires and DQ stayed true.

I know I'm not qualified to vote here because...well, the only games I've played more than 5 minutes of are:

DQ1 (as Dragon Warrior), FF1, FF4, FF6 and FF7

While I have much more direct experience and nostalgia with DQ1 than FF1 (I didn't play FF1 until sometime in the mid-90's), I suppose FF1 is the better game due to the class and party systems, etc. My nostalgia is much stronger for DQ1, as it was my first RPG and I got super immersed in it at the time but if I try to set those feelings aside, I think FF1 has more to offer.

That's the extent of my ability to compare the series. As for the other FF games I've played:

FF4 - Great. 7/10
FF6 - Amazing. 9/10
FF7 - High side of average. 6/10

Graphics Team · Posted
On 1/3/2024 at 8:53 PM, fox said:

Fu-uzsDaQAAu8GE?format=jpg&name=900x900
FvDPCG9akAAlCvb?format=jpg&name=900x900
FvH8A02aYAEMTRB?format=jpg&name=900x900
FvNVRhJaMAA-uRQ?format=jpg&name=900x900
FvSVrhAagAEzuHT?format=jpg&name=900x900
FvXu1g1XgAUvpZq?format=jpg&name=900x900
FvdGT7oaMAgi9bj?format=jpg&name=900x900
FviFiFSaIAI_b3w?format=jpg&name=900x900
FvnmizraQAA8_P7?format=jpg&name=900x900

Whoa - these are gorgeous!

Did you draw these, @fox? Or can you tell me how to find more from this artist?

(And sorry I have nothing to contribute to this thread haha - I've never finished a game from either series).

[T-Pac]

5 hours ago, T-Pac said:

Whoa - these are gorgeous!

Did you draw these, @fox? Or can you tell me how to find more from this artist?

(And sorry I have nothing to contribute to this thread haha - I've never finished a game from either series).

[T-Pac]

@T-Pacfanart by bykillt

Graphics Team · Posted
19 hours ago, fox said:

@T-Pacfanart by bykillt

That's insane - must be the most prolific DQ / FF fan-artist out there.

I love how the characters look so on-model, but he still manages to get his own style in there on every piece.

[T-Pac]

• 2 weeks later...

Why compare these games? While they occupy American minds as key long-running JRPG series, they don't have much in common beyond genre. DQ is known for consistency while FF is known for changing core systems. Moreover, some of these games aren't even a similar genre; How can you compare FF10, a linear JRPG, to DQ10, an MMORPG? Or FF11, an MMORPG, to the "open-world" (and not online) DQ11? I feel like I might as well be comparing Mario and Sonic games simply because they were rival mascot series.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2024 at 1:30 AM, Sumez said:

Actually curious about the people who played both FF2 and DQ2, and still picked FF2. 

I do think FF2's reputation is a little undeserved, but still

For me, there's an element of "which one do I dislike less?" there. I think they're both sorta bad. (I dislike Dragon Quest I too!)

-Dragon Quest II is a lot more polished but still fundamentally has NES-era menus and the typical Dragon Quest lack of one-button-press interaction with the world so that doesn't take it as far as it could...but is still very worth noting when its opponent here is freaking FFII.

-Dragon Quest II feels less special at this point. There are lots of old JRPGs with exploration and a boat. FFII feels like it has, if not necessarily uniqueness, then at least much more of a niche to fill with its weird stuff.

-Dragon Quest II more than any other game in its franchise I've played likes to throw particularly aggravating random encounters at you.

-The Cave to Rhone is grueling but can be figured out through trial and error and notekeeping and once you know exactly what to do you should have a reasonable chance at getting through it each attempt. The hours of grinding in Rhone afterward are a massive bore for me, though.

I remember the worst parts of FFII not even being the stat-raising/lowering system everyone complains about. It's all the glitches and how unpolished everything is in ways I remember feeling much more consequential than they were in FFI.